B15 Sentra Forum banner

1 - 16 of 16 Posts

·
Registered
1,214 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I drained my radiator fluid the other day and I filled up the resevior instead of filling up the radiator itself. Now my problem is it seems the fans turn on a lot more than usual. I don't think my radiator is filled all the way up. I have the resevoir filled to max but its not trickling into the radiator. Is it suppossed to or is it only a overflow system ie, if the radiator has too much it spills into the resevoir. But doesn't flow into the radiator if its low from the resevoir. How do I check my radiator levels? I only filled the radiator itself with about 3/4s of fluid, is that how much goes in?

Also anyone know how to get a stripped bolt off a header. I stripped a bolt really bad, how can I get it off??

·
Registered
5,244 Posts
Your cooling system with the reservior should take about 7 and 3/16 qt. You should have poured coolant into the radiator itself as well, and not just filled the reservior. You might have messed up a thermostat which could be causing you fans to come on more often. Or it could be the simple fact that you were running the engine without any coolant and the fans were trying to keep the engine cool.

The FSM for your car is easy tyo find and download from a few places, you should always check the fsm/user manual if you are unsure what you are doing.

·
Theory freak learning...
3,920 Posts
Radiator: when the engine is cool and you remove the radiator cap, is the fluid is to the top of the neck? If not, just fill it directly from the radiator neck up to the top and it should be fine. Close the cap, run the car a bit, let it cold down and check again. It may be possible to have to fill it again because the fluid would circulate thru all the the channels and fill the gap if there is anyone.

For your stripped bolt, that's suck. Tryed vise grip? Also, try with a brand new quality socket (like Snap-on) and air tool. Don't use Allen key, it will strip the bolt more. Is that the bolt under the alternator? I remember mine was the hardest to remove.

·
Registered
1,214 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
damn so you think my thermostat may be messed up, yea I'll top off the radiator today when I leave work. Nah the bolt farthest to left when facing engine, my friend just torqued it wrong. Yea my cooling is definitely all fugged up man.

·
Registered
632 Posts
you may have an air pocket in the cooling system somewhere, causing the fluid to cavitate and not flow properly, if it doesnt clear up IMMEDIATELY i would suggest draining and doing it over properly as it can lead to overheating

·
Registered
1,214 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
well when engine is cold, and you start it up, should the radiator hose from the radiator to engine (big hose on top) be filled with fluid, mines not and it takes a while before it does. Air pocekts won't work their way out of the cooling system??

·
Fogey
4,298 Posts
the fans coming on is related to the coolant temp sensor not your thermostat persay. Your car is running hot so its making the fans turn on more often. Make sure you don't have any bubbles in the system.

·
Al, The Ignorant Fcuk
9,081 Posts
Dude-as was mentioned, remove the cap when the car is cold. Fill the radiator to the very very top. Then run it. When it is cool again-repeat the process. You may have overheated your engine and warped your head. Hopefully you didn't though. Always fill the coolant system at the radiator cap.

·
Registered
1,214 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
david so it'll cool down once i get the right amount of coolant in?

How do I check for bubbles in the system. I can fill it up with some radiator fluid I have in my trunk but is it suppossed to go all the way to the top when cool, ie you can see radiator fluid when you take off the cap? If that's full and my resevior is at max will there be too much radiator fluid and it flow out?

·
Al, The Ignorant Fcuk
9,081 Posts
Also if the fluid in the reservoir is no higher than the max line. You are O.K. the key is that when the vehicle is cold and when your fluid is full up to the cap in the radiator you are done. Although I would check it again in a few days just to be sure.

·
Al, The Ignorant Fcuk
9,081 Posts
Usually

pio!pio! said:
on an aside, where do you dispose of used coolant?
You can usually just dump it down your drain/toilet if you have a municipal sewer. It is processed.

Don't put it in storm sewers or if you have a septic tank.

·
Registered
342 Posts
to fix your radiator: Buy 2 galons of coolant and a funnel that will fit the top of your radiator. Redrain your radiator. Fill up the radiator with coolant. Turn the car on with just the funnel in to top of the radiator, not the cap. Let the air pockets come out the top of the funnel. As the coolant gets below the funnel just add more. Repeat untill the bubbles stop coming up. then put the cap on and you should be ready to go.....

1 - 16 of 16 Posts