B15 Sentra Forum banner

1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
730 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I've been tossing the idea around recently of buying two R-compound tires (street legal slicks) and two 15 or 16 inch light weight rims. I was thinking about some konigs (the heliums? I think are the lightweight rim that they make) I really like the way those look in black. Obviously only two of each, that way I would just switch out the front two wheel/tires before going to the track. So the questions are thus:

Which R-compound tires, if any, are people using?
It is okay to run a 15 or 16 inch rim with the stock rims and tires in the back?
Which would be a better rim size for drag performance (maybe even autox in the future)... 15 or 16?
and finally...
What size tire would I use with such rim?

I'm just trying to get some info on this subject for future reference, I'd like to get a header and a pulley before I get these. Any info is much appreciated. Thanks.

·
Registered
1,159 Posts
VictoRacers are very nice. I know lots of Autocrossers that love them and I plan on getting a set soon myself hopefully. I am sure they would do ok pulling double duty.

·
Registered
980 Posts
what track are you going too? Drag racing??? The R-compound are horrible for Drag Racing. They have very stiff sidewalls, which makes for a bad drag tire. If you are going to a Road Race Track, it would be dangerous to mix R-compound with regular tire.

·
Registered
382 Posts
if this is just for the drag strip why are you concerned about street legality?
it sounds like you want this for the street....
if thats true then run 4 r-comps.
if its for the drag buy 2 purpose built drag radials if you still want a "street" tire. or buy slicks.

(ps: r-comps are not slicks)

·
Registered
730 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Right now I primarily goto Qualcomm stadium's 1/8 mile track. But in the future I will also use Barona's nicer 1/8 mile and probably carlsbad's ¼ mile.

^^ If the R Compounds are so bad for drag racing, what would you recommend? I was under the impression that R compounds were basically slicks with the minimal amount of tread to be street legal. I know I saw some one on here a while back who had new rims and I think put these on two of his stockers for racing.

·
Registered
730 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
blurred said:
if this is just for the drag strip why are you concerned about street legality?
it sounds like you want this for the street....
if thats true then run 4 r-comps.
if its for the drag buy 2 purpose built drag radials if you still want a "street" tire. or buy slicks.

(ps: r-comps are not slicks)
I need a tire that I can put on my car and drive to the track. Slicks aren't street legal, otherwise I'd just do that.

·
Registered
980 Posts
R compound tires are road racing tires with very stiff sidewalls to prevent roll-over in highspeed cornering with very stick rubber and are close to slicks. But they are a different type of slick then what you will need for drag racing. Drag Slicks have sidewalls that are soft to allow the more rubber to stay in contact with the surface during launching. Use a set of drag radials.

·
Registered
542 Posts
vbspecv said:
what track are you going too? Drag racing??? The R-compound are horrible for Drag Racing. They have very stiff sidewalls, which makes for a bad drag tire.
Actually, I'd say the difference in straightline performance from the sticky rubber is just as dramatic as the increase in cornering performance. I bet I'd drop at least a tenth off my 60' running the Ecsta V700s instead of the stock Contis...

That being said, if you are only using them for drag racing, then buy drag radials. They have the same or similar type of rubber, but are constructed for the best straightline performance.

·
Registered
730 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
Okay, now that's the kind of info I am looking for. thanks vbspecv.

What are my options as far as street legal drag radials available?

·
Registered
598 Posts
BFgoodrich Comp T/A drag radial is an option:

The Comp T/A Drag Radial, the world's first radial-construction, street-legal (meets U.S. Department Of Transportation street tire standards) drag racing tire brings the benefits of BFGoodrich's T/A ("Traction/Advantage") to the dragstrip. To and from the track, the Comp T/A Drag Radial's advanced radial construction delivers the enhanced traction, superior handling and extended durability not normally associated with competitive bias-ply drag racing tires. So while it was originally developed for competition in the Stock ET class arena, its dual street/strip capabilities have also made it an attractive alternative for the drivers of more heavily modified cars capable of running very low ETs.

·
Registered
730 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
sweet, that sounds good.

Now what about the rims? Should I run a 15 or 16 inch rim? and what size tire w/ each?

1 - 12 of 12 Posts