B15 Sentra Forum banner

1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
298 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
What I did, because no one in the ABQ area had any spacers, was use a dremel to remove the basket material for the front speakers.

Once you have removed the basket material (they look like legs coming from the magnet to the mounting area) you can also remove the mounting lugs for the speaker leads.

This will leave you with a rough opening. I then filed down the remaining material to make it a smooth wide opening with as little obstruction for the new speaker as possible.

For the speaker mounting surface I used silicone (DONT PUT YOUR SPEAKERS IN YET PLEASE) to create a smooth bead all around the mounting surace. Let it dry completely. Drill your holes and drop in your new speaker. I dropped in some tantrums and they sound great, the factory spacing and the use of Dynamat lets the midbass out nicely... now all I need to do is get the tweeters out of the factory locations...they scream and the Xover has no attenuation circuit. :)

·
Registered
4,958 Posts
I think I'm going to have to do something similar for my rear speakers. I have some eclipse 6.5 coaxes and they sadly get bopped around because they are just too smalll sadly.

·
Registered
298 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
buy an oversized speaker adapter or make one. That cannot be done on the rear. if it is a shallow enough speaker you could do a bottom mount by sandwiching the speaker between a 1/2 piece of plywood cut large enough to cover the opening from the bottom with a hole for the speaker. You could just go to a local shop and have them make one, it would be about 40 dollars for the custom work.

Call crutchfield and tell them your make and model, they sell one for about 15 bucks.

good luck.

·
Registered
4,958 Posts
I was able to pull off the plastic from the top, it worked well as a spacer. I screwed that down and then epoxied the speaker on top of it.. if I need another I'll see about the crutchfield adaptor, i'm really happy with my current rears though.

1 - 4 of 4 Posts