B15 Sentra Forum banner
1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Iknowyoulovereadingso..
5,527 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
Please Read!!!

ok..so i tried starting my car and it wont start i hear the starter clicking (i replaced the starter a few days ago) anyways i jumped the battery and it started up in a few seconds. while the car was running i removed the negative powerwire from the batt and the car kept running, i believe thats the way to test if the alternator is good. the car kept running. so its most likely my battery is beyond dead.

i can get an optima redtop at autozone for $109
the dont have the orange top so my question is this

if i turned the red top around, wouldnt it fit in the sentra? ( so the optima writing would be upside down if youre standing infront of the car)???(like in the pic)

·
Just 35 more...
2,296 Posts
If you have to turn the battery around the wires won't be long enough. I think its the orange top that fits in the sentra.

Also, its a VERY BAD IDEA to disconnect the ground OR the power wire from the battery with the engine running. It causes voltage spikes as high as 80 volts and is a good way to risk blowing **** up. Don't ever do it.... though it is a somewhat valid way to test the altenator.

·
Iknowyoulovereadingso..
5,527 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
lol..i cant seem to find the orange top and i need a battery by tom cuz i need the ride..is the optima small enough so that i could turn it sideway, with the positive pole at the top and the neg at the bottom, closer to the front of the car?

·
creating HAVOK
262 Posts
hmm i was in the same situation 3days ago, but i ended up buying the 44 dollar duralast, i wanted an optima, but i dont think i would need that unless i plan to add some audio upgrades and or turbo the car. but now i know that redtop wont fit right.

·
Al, The Ignorant Fcuk
9,081 Posts
Something is wrong somewhere. You replaced your starter just recently-why?? Now your battery is dead-why?? How many miles/months on this car??? Something is wrong here-You need to figure out what. :(

As Noggin said don't ever disconnect the negative while the car is running. You could have fried lits of things in that vehicle-possibly.

·
Registered
89 Posts
yeah, why is your battery dead? Did you run your stereo with teh car off? Is there a drain in the system? Or is your alternator shot?

Autozone can perform free battery and alternator testing, while they're still in your car.

Please don't ever remove your negative wire from the battery while running. That worked for older cars, not the newer ones.

·
Iknowyoulovereadingso..
5,527 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
well my starter cranked out so the car didnt start up to charge the battery so the battery drained completely and would never fully charge up. i replaced the starter- the car starts fine except the battery doesnt charge because it was drained so much. im replacing it with a new one and btw autozone said i had to take off the alternator to check it. i know the redtop will fit but will it fit with the stock wires?

1 - 12 of 12 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.