B15 Sentra Forum banner
1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
1,540 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Ok this is about timing, and before you say, uhhh not again, and tell me to use the search function or close the thread, finish reading this. I have looked for an answer to the quesiton but haven't found any yet. I had Sean advance my timing to 19 degrees today and I want to know from the drivers perspective what gains if any are noticible and where. I can't really tell a huge difference, but maybe I'm not looking in the right area for it. Thats why I want to know what I should be looking . I know the tecnical reason for advancing the timing and how to do it, but not was noticible gains it has. So any advice would be greatly appreciated.

·
Registered
778 Posts
19 is kinda high. you might get detonation or something. well to me the power isnt noticable at all. its only 2 or 3 hp. i couldnt even feel a gain with my header. its just a lil push to help out your ETs.

·
Registered
1,145 Posts
Yeah I think I read that 19 is a little high, still waiting to advance mine, wondering if these dropping gas prices will stay or go.

·
Registered
111 Posts
i went last week to a mechanical shop to finally advance mine but, i dont think they really knew what to do. they had a timing light and everything but they said that i they would have to keep doing it and revving my engine to se if the computer will override the advance or not, so he daid if the computer chip keeps overriding it, he wil ahve to keep doing it over and over. is it really that easy to do at home or how can i do it or tell a mechanic to do it thanks for your help. i want ot advance it to 18 degrees, i alrready run the premium gas anyways. i really want this mod.

·
Registered
1,540 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
19 is what Sean has in his sr20 and he hasn't had a problem with it. I have read that others have advanced to 19 too and they are still doing just fine. As long as you use 92+ octane it should be ok. I believe that on the se-r.net page about advanced timing it says anywhere from 17-19 degrees is ok. We will see how it goes and maybe I will put it back down to 17-18. And oh yeah ,my stock was set at 14.

·
Al, The Ignorant Fcuk
9,081 Posts
Waste..

To add 15% to your fuel bill for something you will never notice is a waste. Engine will carbon up more, run hotter and there is risk of detonation which doesn help pistons any. I have no experience on the SR20. But I've been there on chev/pontiac engines. Kinda of a funny feeling looking through the crown of a piston.

·
Registered
3,122 Posts
Excerpt from SE-R.Net

"Here is the all time cheapest hop up that anyone can do. Typically most SR20DEs have the timing set to 13 degrees or less from the factory. I have seen as low as 10 degrees on a brand new factory fresh car. You can safely run up to 15 degrees on regular gas on most SR20DEs. For best performance on a stock engine, put in 92 octane and dial in between 17 to 19 degrees. This has been proven by recent dyno testing on a stock car to give up to 6 more hp at the wheels. Remeber if you have your timing turned up this high you MUST use 92 octane fuel. Do not exceed 17 degress of advance if you have a JWT ECU." by Mike Kojima

Here's a link to the full write up...
http://www.se-r.net/car_info/engine_performance_tuning.html

1 - 7 of 7 Posts