B15 Sentra Forum banner
1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
297 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hey all, should I go ahead and get Lowering Springs, SS Brake lines, tints, and fix the crash scars on my front bumper, or should I screw all that and keep saving up and get all the turbo stuff ASAP(2 months or so)????? please tell me what you think and why, thanks,
Juan CC

another option would be getting the head ported and polished and Nitrous....please let me know and knock some sense or encouragement into me.

·
Bow to your SE GOD
4,702 Posts
Nitrous is scary, and only a quick fix. In the long run, you'll spend much more on it. A turbo is very reliable, and you won't have as much to worry about. Save up for the good stuff. You can always port & polish...after you get used to the whoosh! Good luck. P.S. lowering springs are cheap. Do that too!

·
Registered
297 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
sounds good

anyone else please...?

·
Registered
446 Posts
personally before I even think about going turbo I will wait for JWT to have an ECU ready, I'm not into riggin' anything up especiall when 20k+ is on the line.

·
Not your parent(s)
3,291 Posts
several points

first, decide what you REALLY want to do. You have explored and talked about so many options, that would be the first step. What is your REALISTIC goal?

secondly, you have to commit yourself totally. that means sacrificing things along the way to obtain your goal. (unless you have alot of money to blow)

also, figure out how you are going to do it. Is it a peice by peice as you go or all at once. Once again, realistically not daydreaming. If you plan to do it as you go, then think of the plan. Think of what power gains you want and what will need to be upgraded to support/restrain that add'l power. (IE: suspension/brakes/clutch/etc) then make a plan of attack and a timeline. Say, by 7/01 i will upgrade the clutch/springs. by 10/1, i will upgrade the brakes. by 12/01, i will upgrade the tires or rims. by 2/01, i will have the head ported/polished. by 6/02 i will have the cams, etc... then budget accordingly to make it come together phase by phase.

remember, optimism is a project car's death. Realism is what keeps it alive.

·
Registered
297 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
wow, thanks Lee

thanks Illt3ck, you are absolutely right, and Lee, you are more right than I will probably ever be, damn, once again it all comes down to me, I really do need to get my priorities straight, I have money to spend, but I don't know about money to blow just yet. I guess I will go ahead and go for the following option: Option Lee: get Lowering Springs and SS Brake Lines by 7/01, get underdrive pulleys and head ported and polished by 9/01, get nitrous and ECU by 3/02, finish off buying and begin install of turbo kit by 6/02. Wow, this really puts things into perspective. I will buy the sr20det engine in December and sort out all the components then, I guess the ECU and Nitrous and Turbo depends all on JWT, cuz I really don't want to have to ghetto rigg the wiring. Thanks man,
JCC

·
Registered
816 Posts
TURBO! TURBO! TURBO!
Think of it this way...if you have the money, then Turbo is the ONLY way to go. With bolt-ons, you'll still have a Sentra that will get it's tail whipped by the SE-R, RSX, WRX, etc. It can barely keep up with a Civic Si.

Now with a Turbo...you'll have that same sentra with some major COJONES!!!!!

It's all about boost!!!

·
Registered
297 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
lolz

funny post man, but I think I am going to listen to Lee on this one and follow his lead not my own childish wish for once. Eventhough I have a backup motor, it is a 1992 sr20de, and I really don't want to have to swap it in, plus it's 5spd and I have auto right now. I think the stock ECU right now can only support 194.88hp as I calculated it with a + or - 10% uncertainty. Plus my tranny can't probably hold much more than that, even if I swap the pistons to 8.3:1 CR, with 5-6psi the boost levels might be too great w/o a proper ECU to tune all of it up. Even if I get 370cc or 500+cc injectors, it won't do any good, cuz the ECU is still gonna be the crappy ole stock one. I will just wait till I either find a crashed 95-97 SE-R and take the ecu and harness, or wait till JWT makes their unit for us. thanks for the encouragement though,
JCC

·
Registered
297 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
My final desicion

Lee and anyone else, please tell me if you like it, or if I should rethink. I am getting Sportline Springs from Enemigo hopefully sometime by next week, then I will order a head gasket set for the new car from my local Nissan dealer and wait till I have a free week so I can get the head ported and polished, I will give the se-r.net headwork article to the machinist so he can get as much hp as possible out of it, hopefully somewhere around 15-20%, then hopefully at the same time I will get the JWT camshafts that are specific for our cars, if not I will get adj. cam gear and advance exhaust 2.5 degrees and retard the intake cam 2.5 degrees as Rob Cradle or Mike Kojima stated as I searched thru the se-r archives. Also next week I should be able to get my car on the dyno and tuned to perfection by Steeda, I am hoping for 120hp at the wheels with ignition timing and everything else as well tuned properly. What gear should I do the dyno runs in since I have an automatic, any suggestions, or know the answer? thanks,
JCC

·
Registered
297 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
also

Do you know if a high performance head gasket from previous year Sentra's will fit the new sentra? or should I just replace it with an OEM one? thanks again,
JCC

·
Registered
37 Posts
personally i think you need to fix your paint and get your tint done for the simple fact that you cant be riding around in a messed up car if you are in going to show it off at least let it look good and not just the under the hood stuff, any jalope can race

·
Registered
297 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
damn.....

that's a good point, but still I can't have a good looking car that is slow. We'll see how much my bro's shop is going to charge me for the fix, and see exactly what is wrong, good input though,
JCC

1 - 13 of 13 Posts