B15 Sentra Forum banner
1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
15 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Is the 7-speaker 180W speaker system worth it? Does the sub really make a difference?

Does it sound good and powerful?? Or would I be better off putting in an aftermarket system??

Thanks

·
Registered
560 Posts
Its worth it. Comparing to the cost of putting a system in, and the time required to do it, I'd get the 180W factory setup (actually that's what I have ;)). I don't know what do others think of it, but it works for me.

·
Registered
67 Posts
I have to say that I love mine. Obviously it does not have the potential of an aftermarket system but it sounds damn good!

·
Registered
41 Posts
Good clean sound with windows up -

But if you want to have music flowing from your car to the neighbourhood, then it will dissapoint you.

·
Bow to your SE GOD
4,702 Posts
I'm really dissapointed. They rate the power at such a high distortion level, that is sounds very weak. I'm not expecting ground-shaking bass, but condsidering they call it a "180W Premium", I expected more. My gf's Tiburon has a much simpler factory stereo that blows mine out of the water. I would have rather put my own in. My $.02.

·
Registered
15 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Well I don't intend on making everyone listen to my music. I mean does it give decent bass in the car? I could care less if people can hear it outside the car.

Does the subwoofer do its job?? Or does it sound more like a 6.5in driver? Also how big is the sub?? 8 inch?

·
Registered
250 Posts
Adequate

The 180W "Premium" sound system is, in my opinion, merely adequate when played at reasonable volume levels with the windows up. I found the system's main shortcoming to be its inability to accurately reproduce high frequencies (most noticable when listening to classical or acoustic jazz music). If you neutralize all the settings and listen to that type of music while sitting in the rear seat, you'll probably notice that the high frequencies are mostly absent.

Last week I replaced the stock Panasonic 15W, 4 Ohm paper cone rear speakers with a pair of Infinity Kappa 652.1i two-way speakers. The high frequencies are now present, but they sound a tad harsh. I believe a moderately powered external amp should solve that problem, and that will probably be my next fairly inexpensive upgrade.

DL

·
Bow to your SE GOD
4,702 Posts
The sub is really only an overly-active mid-bass. It's muddy, bottoms out way too soon, the mid is muddy, and smeared all over the car, the highs are murky with no soundstage, the front/rear bias can't be adjusted without affecting the sub, shall I go on?:(

·
Registered
15 Posts
audio1der said:
The sub is really only an overly-active mid-bass. It's muddy, bottoms out way too soon, the mid is muddy, and smeared all over the car, the highs are murky with no soundstage, the front/rear bias can't be adjusted without affecting the sub, shall I go on?:(

I completely agree....couldn't have said it better myself. However, the sub's amp does have a crossover that cuts out higher frequencies, so you shouldn't hear any highs from it. It's only 6.75" so there's no way one could expect good bass from a cheap mass-market speaker operating in free-air...and feed weak power into it and you're left with a whole lot of distortion, no bass, and weak sound. So basically, it doesn't sound very good unless it's playing at lower volumes. The stock system will let you hear music; an aftermarket system would be a much better choice if you like to really "listen" to your music.

·
Registered
15 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
oh damn..I was hoping the system would sound good..so there is no bass?? Dang..

You said it sounds good at low volume...how low is low? I'm not the kinda person who pumps up the volume so the whole street can hear it..just enough for hte cabin..

·
Registered
15 Posts
mAdDINDIAN said:
oh damn..I was hoping the system would sound good..so there is no bass?? Dang..

You said it sounds good at low volume...how low is low? I'm not the kinda person who pumps up the volume so the whole street can hear it..just enough for hte cabin..

ok i was getting the impression that you listen to your music at loud volumes and like to hear/feel bass. if you don't, then the 180 system is fine; it plays music at decent volumes. the best way to determine whether or not it works for you is to listen to it yourself...it's not an expensive option, so you might as well get it.

1 - 11 of 11 Posts