B15 Sentra Forum banner

21 - 40 of 302 Posts

·
Immature Tough Guy
5,671 Posts
Discussion Starter #25
freakythangz05 said:
OK. What if u get the aftermarquet header with the cat? Do you still have to mess with the sensors?
The only header on the market with a precat is the Nismo header, however, there were at least two instances where the precat also failed, so don't get it.

·
Registered
980 Posts
nice 2 pictures of my car in this thread (the cat and the missing butterfly screw). Do you want a picture of the mangled spark plug, I have that somewhere?

·
Immature Tough Guy
5,671 Posts
Discussion Starter #28
vbspecv said:
nice 2 pictures of my car in this thread (the cat and the missing butterfly screw). Do you want a picture of the mangled spark plug, I have that somewhere?
Damn, both of those are your pics? I hope your car is doing ok...

Can I assume that you are ok with me using your pics in this sticky? Don't worry about the spark plug pic, I think the missing screw one is enough to make QR owners sick to their stomach.

·
Registered
980 Posts
I have no problems with you using them:)
I lost the butterfly screw around 25,000 miles?
I was hoping the engine would blow up before warranty was over, no such luck. So at 60k I loctited all the butterfly screws and replaced the exhaust manifold and thats when those pictures were taken.

It has 70k on it now, compression was normal last I checked.
It does burn 1 quart of oil every 3,000 miles, but it has done that since the day I bought it. I ran it at Pocono during the Convention this year and it still seems to be fine.

Taking bets on how long the head gasket has!

·
Immature Tough Guy
5,671 Posts
Discussion Starter #31

·
Registered
1 Posts

Now my question, is it cool to tell the dealer that opened up my throttle body and found this. or will it void my waranty. What is the best way to tell the dealer about this?

·
Immature Tough Guy
5,671 Posts
Discussion Starter #33
Ugh...put everything back together and take it to the dealer telling them that you heard something "pinging" around in the head or engine, and that you think it's the butterfly screw based on what you read on Nissan's website regarding a Technical Service Bulletin.

·
Registered
1,212 Posts
geospr619 said:

Now my question, is it cool to tell the dealer that opened up my throttle body and found this. or will it void my waranty. What is the best way to tell the dealer about this?
i would put it back together, go to the dealer and say you'll pay them to loctite your butterflys for you. tell them, you want to see the screws for yourself because you don't know how they look like :D

·
Registered
255 Posts
question for vdspecv: you said your screws were sucked in and you engine ran for about 30k miles to 60k? when do you know if your screws are done without looking into the manifold? would you heard them rattling inside the engine? then you said you replaced them with loctite after 60k, what kind of damage did it do to your engine? thanks..

·
Registered
89 Posts
You need to go into journalism my friend!

Absolutely beautiful write-up! I plan on doing my Butterfly screws sometime this week (my '05 has 24K) Ill post in here when I am finish about what the screws looked like, and how tight they were.

Thank you for taking the time to write that up!

·
Registered
914 Posts
makavelimel said:
question for vdspecv: you said your screws were sucked in and you engine ran for about 30k miles to 60k? when do you know if your screws are done without looking into the manifold? would you heard them rattling inside the engine? then you said you replaced them with loctite after 60k, what kind of damage did it do to your engine? thanks..

I know this is a little old but it wasn't answered.

The nissan recall on the butterfly issue is this:

First off they take off the precat and shake it to see if it is ratteling in there. If so they retrive it and reinstall them with loctite. They then do a compression test on your engine. If your compression checks out, they put it back together and are done. Even if compression is slightly lower then it should be, they still give it back to you. I forget the #, however if it is lower then that in any cylinder, then new engine for you.

21 - 40 of 302 Posts