B15 Sentra Forum banner

1 - 20 of 66 Posts

·
Registered
2,368 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
Well here it is. The finale was last night consisting of about 15 straight hours of work on this thing.
I didnt encounter too many problems I was just taking my time and such. I was trying to make it to the dyno today but I F*cking poked a hole in the rad trying to get it back in. Just my luck. I patched it with some cold weld as a temp solution.

Anyways, I was kinda nervous about firing it up, doing the entire install by myself I had no one to catch my mistakes along the way. I was relieved when(after I primed the oil feed) the motor fired right up.
I was having a couple small problems. It would die right away if you pressed on the gas after idle. Long story short. My RPM signal was not present. I got that taken care of, and now all I really need to do is drain/fill the rad.
Props are due to many members here who helped me along the way, including Jasper, Shane, Kyle, and Mike<<Who is a major dick, but really came through when I needed him to with good info, if I could decipher it in between the LMAO's and the WTF's...... :)

I dont think I need to say what a big help Jamie was. I was on the phone with him last night late and he was helping me out.
From way back when I ordered my kit he's answered all of my stupid questions with intelligent answers. I must have called him 100 times throughout the process. He's a really great guy that knows his stuff. He even overnighted me parts from Canada because he knew I was on a timeline. A+ for PTI.
Garrett is using a different casing on the new turbo's, which is where I ran in to problems.

I'll have Dyno numbers by the end of the week, I need to finish up the exhaust and such, (problemwith a flange) and maybe baby it for a day to ensure everything is cool.
Cant wait to get this thing finished up!.

Sorry, the Pix SUCK. I havent had time to make it look all nice and pretty yet.

EDIT: Oh I was pretty scared when I fired it up, and a couple minutes later the turbo started smoking. I had never heard of that before, but I guess its from the oil coating they put on.

·
Hakuna Matata, bishes!
2,354 Posts
Too bad the front bumper of the 04's doesn't cover up the piping like it does with the 02/03's.

Don't forget to give Jamie props in the buyer/seller ratings forum.

·
Registered
4,958 Posts
SpeC-V_Freak said:
Props are due to many members here who helped me along the way, including Jasper, Shane, Kyle, and Mike<<Who is a major dick, but really came through when I needed him to with good info, if I could decipher it in between the LMAO's and the WTF's...... :)
There you go mike,

·
Registered
631 Posts
np man. i'll be driving to VA beach sometime this year to see ya.

as for my project....its about dead D:
the car is coming off the road in a couple months, i'm moving away to school (2 weeks of orientation + partying + mucho sex changed my mind)

glad its running man. i guess it wasnt a fuel issue lol. rpm signal never crossed my mind.
looks good though man. congrats.

·
Registered
2,343 Posts
so all in all, do you regret doing it yourself... or are you glad you didnt pay a shop to do it..... ive never installed a kit myself, just swap turbos and stuff on friends cars and thats not very hard... obviously installing a kit is very time intensive, but mechanically wise.. with somone who can swap a turbo, install intake header exhaust suspension and stuff no problem, would you say it could be done???

props or doing it yourself btw... looks hot, and im sure it will run awesome...

what are you running for engine managment? im guessing an SAFC2?

adam

btw i dont know the site, but im sure if you search, you can find it, somone makes an aluminum race radiator for the se-r... pituala had one... till his car got jacked...

·
Registered
2,368 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
st0k3d said:
so all in all, do you regret doing it yourself... or are you glad you didnt pay a shop to do it.....
If I didnt have Jamie's help I would have had a really hard time doing it. I have done every repair to every car I have ever owned. This was fairly easy mechanically, as far as hooking things up and such, its just a matter of finding out what goes where. The hardest parts were the BSR/upper oil pan removal, installing the turbo itself. You have to hook up a bunch of stuff all at once and its tight.
I dont regret it at all, although I will say I was scared when the turbo started smoking and when it would not rev past 1500 RPM's. Turned out they were both very simple (and common) problems with simple solutions....

EDIT: YEAH SAFC II

·
Registered
2,368 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
Jasper said:
glad its running man. i guess it wasnt a fuel issue lol. rpm signal never crossed my mind.
LOL dont feel bad. Thats what Jamie thought at first also. Of course, everyone was assuming I was getting an RPM signal. (Translation: I'm an idiot) IF that was the case, the fuel system would have to be the problem.

·
Registered
62 Posts
Spec V Freak..how much did it cost you in total??

·
Registered
2,368 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
From bone stock its more.
I got a magnaflow dual tip with 3 inch piping and the kit for $4400 shipped.
After the dyno, everything all together, I will have spent very close to $5k.
Also, I dinged up my rad, and its patched for now, but I'm going to buy that $260 race rad this week.
No matter what, you will encounter a lot of costs that you did notplan on. EX: It cost me $75 just to have my intake mani/oil pan tapped....

·
Registered
30 Posts
Man PLEASE let us know the HP results....I'm a new 04 Spec V owner in MD and I am definitely looking to turbo my ride if the long-term gains are beneficial (i.e., non-destructive to the engine). Great JOB!!

·
Registered
62 Posts
yea i would expect somethings to go wrong that would cost some money but Im thinking about either boosting the spec or just buying an evo.. you gotta gimme some numbers on that beast =P

·
Registered
2,368 Posts
Discussion Starter · #16 ·
I should have numbers thursday if all goes as planned.....

·
Registered
2,368 Posts
Discussion Starter · #18 ·
Right now I'm just rolling a boost gauge, its sitting on top of the steering column. NOthing special on the inside. I have the SAFC in the glove box for now. Like I said, I need to do some ridying up :)
I'll post pix probably this weekend of everything cleaned up.

·
Registered
2,368 Posts
Discussion Starter · #20 ·

MUHAHAHHAHA!
Here's the numbers.
Its so high becasue I'm on 10 pounds of boost. Jamie has to send me a new wastegate because it would not adjust below that, with a boost controller to fix that. I guess it was an issue with the casing on the turbo itself.
Jamie was really great again talking to the tuner when we ran into problems as well....
The RPM's were off too on the machine and AFC, so thats why you see the redline as 5600, thats really 6250.

I'm pumped though, its fast as hell and I havent even taken it above 5500 ish RPM's.
It leans way out at 6000+ because the duty cycle on the injectors is about maxed out.

G2G for now I have a lot of other sh*t to do.....

1 - 20 of 66 Posts