B15 Sentra Forum banner
Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 20 of 26 Posts

·
Registered
34 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Taking suggestions and justifications???

·
Registered
446 Posts
i have also been pondering this very same thing and have come to a conclusion. PRO-KIT.

the pro-kits use progressive springs and are geared towards more performance than looks. I have spoken to many mechanics that work specifically on imports. Eibach may say that the camber kit isn't needed but in real world terms you NEED a camber kit in order for sportlines. Also the respectable shops are wanting to charge anywhere from $250-$300 for install including all adjustments so there i no un-even tire wear. Sentra stylin' is installing his this weekend so I am going to wait for his outcome and results before i buy mine.

·
Registered
29 Posts
I have installed the Prokit and did not need a camber kit...i spoke to a shop about alignment and they said i needed a camber kit, which was b/s. the nissans have a mcpherson (is that spelled right?) suspension and do not require a camber kit. cars with independent front suspension may need a camber kit because of the drop, each car is different. Enemigo dropped his car with the sportlines and the ride seems the same as the prokit... and as far as i know, he doesn't need a camber kit... i would highly recommend an alignment.

·
Registered Loser
6,883 Posts
iLLt3cK said:
i have also been pondering this very same thing and have come to a conclusion. PRO-KIT.

the pro-kits use progressive springs and are geared towards more performance than looks. I have spoken to many mechanics that work specifically on imports. Eibach may say that the camber kit isn't needed but in real world terms you NEED a camber kit in order for sportlines. Also the respectable shops are wanting to charge anywhere from $250-$300 for install including all adjustments so there i no un-even tire wear. Sentra stylin' is installing his this weekend so I am going to wait for his outcome and results before i buy mine.

Hmm....has anyone been listening to what I have to say about Sportlines? My friend, Brandon..(mv_pinoy01SE) has Sportlines. The ride is more comfortable than I thought it would be hands down. By running lowering springs, you'll definitely have a rougher ride, and increase wear to your stock struts/shocks. As for the alignment, Brandon DIDNOT need a camber kit according to an alignment shop he took it to. The car does not have premature wear and tear in the tires and the car's alignment is on the dot. I would think that between Pro Kits and Sportlines (1.2 vs 1.5" drop) The difference in drop is not significant to need a camber kit. My problem is that we don't have adjustable camber, so a drop greater than 1.5" would totally merit a camber kit. My GXE's camber needed adjusted with a 2" drop, but the alignment shop told me that the camber kit helped just slightly enough to hit factory specs.
Oh, and this is pretty much IMO, but I've told Gene that it was okay to put the springs on, and I know he'll enjoy the ride once it's done. Ill, can you also explain to me what real world terms are? I'm curious, cause you have a good arguement for Pro Kits, this might put a dent in my thinking. :)

·
Registered
3,122 Posts
I also gotta add that brandon is also running 215/40/17's and the sportlines and marvin says that it rides good for having 2 strikes against him(so to speak)I am going to install them today....And iLL says that they are charging $250-300 bucks **** I should put springs in for a living....Anyone that lives local and wants me to put your springs on for $150 talk to my secretary and make an appointment...But seriously that's exspensive....

·
Registered Loser
6,883 Posts
Sentra Styling said:
I also gotta add that brandon is also running 215/40/17's and the sportlines and marvin says that it rides good for having 2 strikes against him(so to speak)
Good call Gene, I forgot to mention that on this post. I'm hoping to set up my ride with Sportlines plus some 17's here sometime soon.

·
Registered
34 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
So all in all, its better to go with the prokit since we don't need to incorporate a camber kit, correct?

·
Registered
3,122 Posts
Well from my understanding with the sportlines you don't need the camber either......

·
Registered Loser
6,883 Posts
drew0305 said:
So all in all, its better to go with the prokit since we don't need to incorporate a camber kit, correct?
Originally posted by Original Mr Sentra
Hmm....has anyone been listening to what I have to say about Sportlines? My friend, Brandon..(mv_pinoy01SE) has Sportlines. The ride is more comfortable than I thought it would be hands down. By running lowering springs, you'll definitely have a rougher ride, and increase wear to your stock struts/shocks. As for the alignment, Brandon DIDNOT need a camber kit according to an alignment shop he took it to. The car does not have premature wear and tear in the tires and the car's alignment is on the dot. I would think that between Pro Kits and Sportlines (1.2 vs 1.5" drop) The difference in drop is not significant to need a camber kit. My problem is that we don't have adjustable camber, so a drop greater than 1.5" would totally merit a camber kit. My GXE's camber needed adjusted with a 2" drop, but the alignment shop told me that the camber kit helped just slightly enough to hit factory specs.
Oh, and this is pretty much IMO, but I've told Gene that it was okay to put the springs on, and I know he'll enjoy the ride once it's done. Ill, can you also explain to me what real world terms are? I'm curious, cause you have a good arguement for Pro Kits, this might put a dent in my thinking.
You do not need a camber kit for Sportlines or Pro Kits.

·
Registered
446 Posts
OG Sentra, the "real world terms" thing was explained to me by a guy at a shop I was getting an estimate at. I am translating from what he said as follows....sure the sportlines won't need a camber kit if all you are doing is riding on flat roads with no potholes etc. and a perfect driver. As soon as some little mistake happens...which is bound to even you are careful, like hitting a pothole the camber and alignment will be totally screwed with the new suspension set-up. With our stock set-up our cars are designed to handle these "accidents". I also talked to another installer who is recommended by Tirerack.com here in Austin and he told me that after he installed the sportline's on his 1997 Nissan Sentra Se-R that the ride was simply horrible. He told me that on flat roads and perfect conditions it was perfect driving, but unfortunetly no city has perfect roads throughout it, and this is why as soon he had the chance he put the pro-kits on. Like I said the pro-kits are a progressive spring designed to stiffen when going into turns while the sportlines are not. This means excessive stock body roll will be little to none and you will have a better ride all the way around. I'm not knocking either spring or anyone's set-up, this is just what I was told be two very experienced and well respected technicians. On a side note...I AM going to be installing my own springs, screw that $275 crap!

·
Registered Loser
6,883 Posts
Good deal iLL, I'll definitely take that into consideration man. Also, thanks for the info and the heads up. It seems like noone is on the right page about the Sportline/Pro Kit thing, but to me, I feel 1.2 inches isn't that much to begin with. From most of the people I have heard, the Sportlines aren't that huge of a drop compared to Pro Kits on most application. For some applications, the Sportline's go to 2 inches! :) I'm looking to install the springs either myself, or have my boy do it for pretty cheap. I'm still waiting to find someone to buy the Sportlines from. They'll be sitting in my room in June waiting for me to get back from the next underway. :(

·
Registered
94 Posts
Look just go with the Sportlines the ride is awesome and Im sure there really isnt much of a difference. I mean whats .3 of an inch drop gonna do. Like Gene and Marvin said earlier in there comments I did not need a camber kit. So take my recommendation and go with the sportlines. You wont regret it buddy promise.

·
Registered
446 Posts
yo

the thing is you also want to take into consideration is that the springs will settle. That .3 of an inch or so lower can easily turn into 1/2 inch or .6 of an inch depending on the car?

·
Registered
3,122 Posts
I just got my sportlines in today and let me tell this much no ride was sacrificed at all....It feels almost the same...

I feel I lost more ride when I threw the 215/40.17's on....

·
Registered
169 Posts
I read on the Eibach website that the Pro-Kit or Sportlines are applicable to the "2000 Nissan Sentra (incl. SE, SE-R, GXE)"... even though there is no 2000 SE-R.

Anyway, that's straying. What I want to know is will either of these work with an XE? I'd assume yes but I'm just making sure since most of you know cars a lot better than I do.

·
Not your parent(s)
3,291 Posts
Sentra Styling said:
I just got my sportlines in today and let me tell this much no ride was sacrificed at all....It feels almost the same...

I feel I lost more ride when I threw the 215/40.17's on....
i must've faded out somewhere...i thought you got the pro kits for some reason. :confused: i guess once you hit 30, it IS downhill. (except certain things only get better ;) )

·
Registered Loser
6,883 Posts
jbruin152 said:
I read on the Eibach website that the Pro-Kit or Sportlines are applicable to the "2000 Nissan Sentra (incl. SE, SE-R, GXE)"... even though there is no 2000 SE-R.

Anyway, that's straying. What I want to know is will either of these work with an XE? I'd assume yes but I'm just making sure since most of you know cars a lot better than I do.
Put in 2001 Nissan Sentra for the correct part numbers and applications. :)

·
Registered Loser
6,883 Posts
jbruin152 said:
that kinda doesn't answer my question. am i to assume that since the XE isn't listed that it won't work?
Well, if you need to, why don't you call Eibach and ask if the application works the same. The shocks/struts are different from the XE/GXE to the SE w/PP. Noone around here has dropped their XE/GXE with Eibachs yet, so we all really don't know.

Any word fellas?

·
Registered
446 Posts
yo

anyone know where I can order some freakin' pro-kits? Tirerack has them on special order but I don't want to wait for 7 years to get them either!

1 - 20 of 26 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.