B15 Sentra Forum banner
1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
hi, I have a 99 sentra gxe, and about a year ago, i put a sony 75 by 4 amp in it, and half the amp (150 W) is powering my JL W6. However, my amp recently crapped and I had to send it in to sony for service. My JL is still sitting there. when I told this to the people that sold it to me, they told me I was "underpowering" the amp, and it damaged the amp. Is that true, or just bull? I hate car audio places because they ALWAYS try and make you spend more than you say you will. So, am I really "underpowering" this JL w6 12''? or will my Sony amp at 150 W suffice? it's now in a ported enclosure, and I'm thinking about getting a sealed enclosure for it. let me know your input! i appreciate it! thanks!

·
Registered
8 Posts
What....????

Where to begin. What kinda sh*t are they feeding you there? How can you be underpowering a sub. You are obviously giving it more than its minimum required amount of power. That being about 50 watts. Besides that I can't see how that "underpowering" had anything to do with your amp crapping out. Must be rookie employees trying to talk the talk. There are a couple things to know when you go sealed.
The bass tightens up and sounds cleaner. Thats good. But it won't be as loud as it was before given the same power. So you might want to look at getting a bigger amp. More power is always better. Hope this helps. If not, ask me some more questions.

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
if you look in the B14 sentra forums under audio, I got a different response, saying that the sub wants more and is taking too much from the amp. I thought subwoofers were passive though. Anyway, do you anything in particular about JL w6's? will they sound fine in a closed box? you know how some subs are, they dont sound good in certain boxes

·
Registered
8 Posts
JL12W6

Ok, underpowering to me is providing less than minimum wattage. Its seems to me like you are just not providing you sub with max power. As I said before more power is better. But i don't see how that blew your amp. I do agree with those other posts (b14) about not running full gain. Subs can't ask your amp for more power they simply take what they can get. Im running 2 12" Boston Proseries subs right now. They each can handle 1200wrms. So technically i should be providing them with 2400 watts to fully power them. Instead I have about 250-300wrms going to each sub. However my gain is all the way down. I have no amp problems and my subs crank out some serious bass. I had my system measured at the audio shop and I hit 142.1 db's (spl) in my truck with regular music. I never used a hz sweep track to find max spl yet.
If you were running your amp at full gain then get a bigger amp. More power is better. I'm not a big fan of Sony car audio myself but thats my opinion. Yes your sub in a sealed enclosure will sound good. A co-worker of mine was running 2 12W6's in a sealed enclosure and it sounded good. But like I said before, sealed requires more power to get good sound. Still confused???

[Edited by Nismo187 on 05-15-2001 at 06:34 PM]

·
Registered
15 Posts
ok first of all, more power is not necessarily better...i think what the people at the shop were trying to tell you is that the amplifier isn't receiving a clean signal or better yet enough power from the battery. Your solution would be to get a lower guage power cable. However, while it is good to do these things, they are NOT the reason your amp is in the shop...it is in the shop because it is Sony car audio. Honestly, Sony is some of the cheapest, worst quality car audio equipment on the market. Do not buy Sony car audio. If you want a clean, efficient, economical amplifier, get a Planet Audio. You can get a 150 x 2 for around $250 at the right place. There really is no such thing as "underpowering." You don't need anymore power than that, contrary to what many inexperienced consumers believe. QUALITY OVER QUANTITY. So my advice is to get rid of the amp, get a lower guage power cable, and make sure you have good RCA's running your signal. JL subs are the best on the market right now, but their full potential can't be released until you get rid of the Sony. Any questions--let me know.

1 - 5 of 5 Posts