B15 Sentra Forum banner
1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
446 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
i just went inside to pull my car in and i noticed on the front left brake there is one deeper groove all the way around then anything else on the rotor? Should I be worried or take it into Nissan? I checked the other side and saw nothing abnormal about the wear on that rotor....what do yall thinkg.

·
Registered
312 Posts
Yikes. If you like working on cars, take the caliper off
and check the pads, because something isn't right. Otherwise take it to the dealer.

Brake pads and rotors are not a warranty item though, so they may charge you up the wazzu for the labor.

Hopefully the grove is shallow enough that they can turn
the rotor, rather than replace it.

·
Registered
446 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
but

but if its a malfunction of the caliper or either of the aforementioned parts wouldn't it be covered? Also, I have my CAI on....I know it doesn't have to do anything with the brakes but should I take it off?

·
Registered
312 Posts
Good question. I would say that if the caliper caused the
problem, then they should replace the pads and rotor.
Normally brake pads and rotors are considered normal "wear" items, and are not covered under warranty.

It doesn't sound like a caliper problem though... unless it has been seized up for a long
time, and the outer pad is worn down to metal.

Have you heard any grinding noises?

I wouldn't worry about your CAI. Just let them try
to link an air intake to a brake problem! :) It'll never
stick I tell ya... never!!!

Sorry... got carried away. :)

[Edited by UtahJ on 05-31-2001 at 04:02 PM]

·
Registered
95 Posts
Have you been braking especially hard? Heard squeeling at all?... the squeeling should sound like you need new pads. My friend had his rotors refinished on his car cuz it started to have "grooves" on the rotors, sounding just like your cars. This is usually caused by hard braking, and sometimes it doesn't have to have a defect on the pad for this to happen at all, just hard braking. If that's the problem, then all you have to do is refinish the rotors, but it's kind of odd how this didn't happen on the right front, any grooves at all there? The rears won't show it anyways, the bulk of the braking is taken care of in the front.

·
Registered
605 Posts
Maximus2K1Sntra said:
dont worry about the cia they cant link it
Well I hope the CIA isn't messing with your car! hehe, I would take the CAI out before you take it to the dealer. Eventhough it probably did not cause the problem, they could make note of it and in the future (if there are any problems) they might try to screw you over with it.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts