B15 Sentra Forum banner
1 - 17 of 17 Posts

·
Registered
211 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Okay, I'm brand new to this place and to Sentra's for that matter. I'm getting ready to pay off my Accord here in a week or two, and am looking at getting a new car. I already know that I would love to have a prelude, but the problem is that it would only cost about another 4k to get a brand new Spec V (looking at a 97 lude). I already know that I don't want an SE, just not sporty enough for me but I'm almost positive that the Spec V will be. Now I'm just trying to figure out whether to buy the prelude now, or wait another 5 months until the Spec V's are released. Give me reason to go one way or the other. Thanks.

·
Registered Loser
6,883 Posts
Well, for me, I would rather go new than old. You're going to know what you're getting into when you get a new car. Although it seems perfect to get new like when I picked my SE, they're a lot of good things about buying used. Established aftermarket, broken in, and especially if it isn't the first year of that body style or trim. The SE-R Spec V is all new, so with that comes trial and error like most anything. My SE is great, but I ran and still encounter some issues that they fixed for 2001.

The SE-R Spec V is new, refined from the SE, and is something people don't see often around here at least. The opportunity will be there, and you can do things that people have already done to their 1997 Preludes. Don't get me wrong, I've always had a thing for Eclipse's, and if I had to go used, I would definitely pick one up. I just wanted a car that I could take care of from the very beginning, and it be a fresh new car out there on the street.

I believe the Spec V is that car. :)

·
Registered
0 Posts
it's like comparing apple to orange....do you want 200hp 2.2 liter 2 door car that is so friggin' small or a whatever hp 4 door car that has more room than prelude? Prelude already establish it's name for being a top dog and Spec V is a fairly new thing....

it's up to you on what you want to get and what budget you have and stuff....hth

Jeff-

·
Time Warp
1,141 Posts
Two things that no one has mentioned yet is different engine types and aftermarket.

For the engine, it all depends on where and how you like your power. If you like lower revving engines with gobs of torque down low and power spread all throughout the RPM range, go for the Spec-V. But if you like high revving engines with less torque down low, but great power output up top (like me :D), then take the Lude.

The Lude is a proven badass on the road with a great aftermarket following. If you're into modding cars and want to go fast NOW, then go for the Lude. The Spec-V is SUPPOSED to be badass out of the box, but so far has no aftermarket following because it is a new engine and isn't even out yet. If you're patient and willing to wait, and bet that the aftermarket will support the Spec-V's new 2.5 engine LATER, then take the Spec-V.

Just some more coals in the fire... :)

·
Registered
816 Posts
I would go for the lude. OR...just drop a lude engine into your accord. Then you can save up money and turbo the car, get a full body kit, etc, etc...

The Spec-V is nice but you already have a 4 door sedan (I'm assuming that you have an Accord 4dr) so why would you want another 4 dr. Go for something sportier...but then again, my first choice would be to go for the Prelude swap.

·
Registered
211 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Spec V vs. Prelude

Correct me if I'm wrong, but a Spec V should be waaaay faster out of the box than a lude. According to SCC, a prelude does 1/4 in 15.4 and a Sentra SE in 15.7. That's only .3 seconds difference. I'm really starting to lean towards the spec v because of out of the box performance. I believe aftermarket will follow (there's always a part out there), but even so, I'm not really interested in modding past a CAI. If an SE can run a 15.7 then a car that pumps out 34 lb/ft. more torque should be at LEAST high 14's if not lower. That's better than I could take my lude if i were even to do I/H/E on it. Can you tell which car I'm starting to want to buy? And just fyi, it's a 2 door Accord. Thanks for the opinions, keep them coming!

·
Al, The Ignorant Fcuk
9,081 Posts
I think getting a used sports type..

vehicle is risky. 4 years of red lining doesn't make for a long life. I'd take a year or two of no payments and buy the 2003 SE-R or something similar.

·
Not your parent(s)
3,291 Posts
magazine racing and real world driveability are night and day. on paper, the sentra will win hands down. (standard features and options, price, tq, etc...) however, in real world driving and so forth, go with the fun factor. that can be determined by test driving them both back to back.

·
Registered
0 Posts
And the mighty Jeff speaks

Again, ask yourself what kind of car you're looking for. A sporty type of car that's been around for quite some time now *OR* a new sedan that's roomy and should have some potential due to its biggest displacement. H22 (prelude) block can hold around 350-450 w/o any problem and some are more (apexi integra and stepen papadakis' civics)...and it's reputation to be a bully on the road....on the other hand..v-spec is like the new kids on the block..it has potential due to its bigger displacement like i said (turbo turbo!!!)..but you might have to wait for a while before they have aftermarket parts for it....

Jeff-

·
Registered
228 Posts
Also depends on if you want a car that has durable paint. The paint on my mom's 2001 Sentra is absolutelty horendus(spelling). Her car is about to turn over 5k and there are scratches all over it, and the front bumper holds bugs like they are super glued on. Nissan quality control on thier paint is hands down the worst of any car manufacturer out there.

·
Registered
211 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
Forgive me if I'm making a false assumption which I very well may be doing, but most women (mothers in particular) don't treat their car with respect. They just plain don't take care of them. Did she regularly wash/wax it? Again, not to step on any toes, but most women (or most people in general) simply do not take care of their cars. And btw, from what I've heard on the prelude boards, the paint on the prelude is no better. Anyways, thanks for the input.

·
Registered
605 Posts
My cousin has a 97 modded prelude. It's pretty good, and I would love to have one, but it is in a different class than the SE-R. Your decision shouldn't be SE-R V. Prelude; it should be Compact V. sports car!

The H22A is really nice, and you can mod a prelude pretty well; plus there isn't too many on the street!! The only problem is insurance and gas. It takes premium and the mileage is pretty bad. The insurance rate is also high, in comparsion witht he sentra.

Peace,
Peter

·
Registered
0 Posts
when you have a nice car (or engine rather)..I think you better get the best gas there is cuz I'm sure you want it to last longer right? And h22 is in the high 20's mpg..remember.it's a honda...they're known for gas saving cars

Jeff-

·
Registered
297 Posts
Do you want power or a fat old lady

If you want to go fast and want to go with an engine that the stock everything(internals/externals) can handle probably well over 400hp, then I suggest to go Nissan. If you want a car that has a perfectly established aftermarket and weighs over 3000lbs then go with the lude. The SE-R is going to be baddass, and even if you go for the 2002 model and there are a couple of things wrong, Nissan's part and service is excellent, way better than Honda, One of my bro's has a 1997 Civic EX, so I know first hand. The SE-R is going to be crazy a§§ helll. It's going to give the Type-R a run for it's money, sooo! just put it this way, if you get the Lude and don't have money to upgrade it right away, then you can expect SE-R's to be whipping you up and down all day long, and if you get an SE-R then you can have plenty of fun with all the Type-R's and other cars(Mustang GT's, etc), while waiting for the aftermarket to grow. just my opinion guys. My favorite Honda cars are Type-R Integra, 92-95 Civic(hatchback or coupe), 88-91 CRX, S2000. So don't think I am a Nissan biased POS, I just think(and know) the SE-R is going to be a rocket(even out of the box).

·
Registered
297 Posts
yesterday....

Yesterday at the Summit Racing/NHRA Battle of the Imports in gainesville Florida, a guy with a stock SR20DE-T 1993SER ran a 12.8 quarter mile(his best is 12.5 to date), the only mods he has is making the sr20det to a front mount intercooler, and putting a boost controller for a tad more boost. There is some other guy running 10.65 on an SE-R with an sr20det, his mods include: large front mount intercooler, big injectors, t3/t4 turbo, better exhuast manifold, ignition, plenty more boost. He has stock internals and stock computer. I couldn't believe it when I read it in SCC or Super Street, but I saw the car run yesterday and it amazed the crap out of me, I even got to see it up close(whoooow!), it is the white SE-R with the special NISMO front-end.

·
Registered
211 Posts
Discussion Starter · #16 ·
I'm just glad some of you are optomistic about the se-r. It seems like quite a few people aren't that impressed with the specs. I went and drove a prelude yesterday and to be totally honest, I wasn't that impressed. I don't think I want to spend all my money on a car that only has 10 lb/ft. torque more than my accord. I can be perfectly happy with my accord for another few months (hopefully sometime in September :)) then switch to the spec-v.

·
Registered
297 Posts
hmmm...

How can people not be impressed with the SE-R, people are impressed at the Type-R teg, and the SE-R is already been tested to beat it in autocrossing and quarter mile, the teg does have slightly better 0-60mph performance(very slightly). So come on.....stop with this H-Car only set of mind and give the Spec-V a chance, I would love to have a type-r teg though

1 - 17 of 17 Posts