B15 Sentra Forum banner
1 - 19 of 19 Posts

·
Registered
13 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
In one of the previous posts it was mentioned that the B15 has a close coupled cat. This is absolutely true. I just finished looking at it with the heat shield off and it is all ONE PIECE. This means problems for those of us in Az w/the IM 240 emissions test. If the parts used are not CARB approved there could be a problem. To put the header on you have to remove the cat. If the cat. isn't on the car you can fail during the visual inspection. Ok suppose you want to relocate a cat. after the headers? While I am going strictly off MEMORY and I COULD BE WRONG, that is also a no-no. Why? Because to do so requires that you remove a properly functioning cat. to put the new cat on. The only times you are allowed to replace a cat. is if it is not working right or beyond a certain number of miles on the car. I doubt that any of our cars qualify under those two. Also if the cat. is relocated you could fail the visual inspection because car manufactures have gone to the close coupled cat. for a reason. It seems that one of the worst times for a car to emit pollution is right at startup. To meet the new requirements they put in a second cat.--right where it is a pain in the *** for us. Moving it could fall under the rule about tampering, which is illegal. So unless the headers and cat. you get are CARB approved we may be totally screwed. In fact, we might be screwed even if they are CARB approved. All I can say is I hope I am reeeeeeeeeaaaaalllllly wrong about some of the things I have mentioned. If anyone knows different PLEASE let us know! I couldn't find a damn thing on the internet when I looked.

·
Registered
87 Posts
Sh*t, that really sucks. Looks like I will be saving my pennies after all instead of doing any performance mods. I was really looking forward to doing something to it, as this is the first new car that I've owned, and the first time in my life that I've really had money. Oh well, I hope that you are wrong...

By the way, we should try and get all the people in the valley together sometime. That would be pretty cool. I don't there are many of us on this board though.

------------------
: 2000 SE : RADIUM : AUTO : PP :

[This message has been edited by ProjektA8 (edited March 03, 2001).]

·
Registered
10 Posts
That sucks about the headers.I was looking foreward to getting some when they finally do come out
Are hotshot headers usually carb approved? hey guys im down for gettin together sometime.

------------------
2001 granite SE w/PP, Place Racing CAI,Unorthodox Racing underdrive pulleys.

·
Registered
13 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
If you can make it for the weekend, I will definetly attend a get together.
I was disapointed too. I was leaning towards headers myself because they give the biggest power gain (next to turbo or nitrous). Maybe we can get away with putting a stock SE-R cat. after the header. With any luck it will turn out to be legal, won't be noticed, or will fall into a gray area as to what "close" means.
I was up the whole night trying to find ANYTHING that would give an answer. I HATE not knowing for sure.

·
Registered
3,122 Posts
Hopefully someone will figure something out and we'll be able to get a set of headers.......

------------------

CAR:
Black 2k SE Performance/package

MODS:
17x7 Konig-Caffeine's ,Stillen front spoiler and pop-cone intake,Aluminum dash kit,Remote starter,35% Tint,Aluminum Pedal Kit,APC Super white headlights and fogs and front and rear turn signals,Ventshade-ventvisors,Custom Front Grille,Stromung cat-back(in the mail)......

*CLICK HERE FOR MY CAR PICS*

·
Registered
816 Posts
So the B15's have 2 cats? One in the header and one after the header? Or is the one in the header the only cat?

All I need to do is pass smog cuz I gots connections to pass the visual but there's nothing they can do about smog here in MA...you HAVE to pass or else the sticker doesn't print out of the computer.

I think this is a problem for more than just AZ people...a LOT of states have that CA emissions thing now and are getting all strict about visual.

·
Slowcars4life
126 Posts
Hey the the new eclipse have the same problem too. My cat needs to be replaced because it is rusty as hell.

·
Registered
3,122 Posts
Well here's a simple solution Stillen has a ceramic coated header out for the B15 so someone can call them up and talk to Adam and see what they did.....

------------------

CAR:

MODS:
17x7 Konig-Caffeine's ,Stillen front spoiler and pop-cone intake,Aluminum dash kit,Remote starter,35% Tint,Aluminum Pedal Kit,APC Super white headlights and fogs and front and rear turn signals,Ventshade-ventvisors,Custom Front Grille,Stromung cat-back(in the mail)......

***My Website***

·
Registered
1,373 Posts
Stillen reps arent going to know...they are only interested in making the sale. See the pics on my sig and youll get an idea of whats going on with the o2 sensors and catalytics convertors

------------------
*Josh*
*myb15*

·
Registered
3,122 Posts

SO the stock is on the left i take,,,,and you had to drill a hole in the aftermarket pipe to accomodate one of the o2 sensors,,,,correct????

------------------

CAR:

MODS:

***My Website***

[This message has been edited by Sentra Styling (edited March 05, 2001).]

·
Registered
3,122 Posts

And this looks like it already has the hole for the sensor,,,,so no mod was needed there am i on track ????

------------------

CAR:

MODS:

***My Website***

[This message has been edited by Sentra Styling (edited March 05, 2001).]

·
Registered
1,267 Posts
<BLOCKQUOTE><font size="1" face="Verdana, Arial">quote:</font><HR>Originally posted by Barbo01SE:
That sucks about the headers.I was looking foreward to getting some when they finally do come out
Are hotshot headers usually carb approved? hey guys im down for gettin together sometime.

<HR></BLOCKQUOTE>

hotshot products are for "off-road" use only

so they say

------------------
2000 Nissan Sentra SE - Hotshot Cold Air Intake - HP RacingMotorsport Coilovers - Razo Carbonfiber Pedals - Razo titanium shift knob - Razo Shift Light - Nology Hotwires - Arospeed Shortshifter

·
Registered
100 Posts
Peoples, that sure sucks about the close coupled catalytic converter. It's probably going to kill any CARB approved headers. Hotshot was/is supposed to be CARB certifying their headers, but the last time I called, John (I believe) told me that they weren't anticipating such a lengthy process and it was going to be a very long while. I'm suspecting that they have just come to the same realization as the rest of us and are out of ideas on how to CARB their stuff. $tillen won't even bother, I talked with a sales guy there and he told me that their header wouldn't pass some sort of "aging" test, where they decide that emissions would degrade over time. How that would happen with a header vs. an exhaust manifold, I don't have the faintest clue. But the bottom line is that they won't/can't be bothered with CARB on this one. Hopefully some company will decide that this is the way to go and figure out a way to manufacture a header that somehow incorporates the manifold-mounted cat.

Hotshot, anyone, if any of you fine peoples are listening, there's a large market for CARB headers!!!! Help!!!

------------------
waiting for stromung, got the unorthodox

·
Registered
13 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
Okay, I have 3 possible solutions--2 are not emissions legal, one MIGHT be.
The best idea is something you would have to see to understand. Go to the b15 sentra home page (b15sentra.net). Click on the sr20de selection at the very bottom of the screen. When the BB pops up go to the Turbo Forum. Now find the APEXSER pictures posting and click the link. You can see exactly how we may be able to mount a turbo MINUS the catalytic converter. Come emissions time we would have to put the cat. back on. With that set-up it wouldn't be very difficult tho.
The second one can be seen in the MULTIMEDIA section of the B15 homepage. Click on the turbo B15 pictures and see how they did it. It is a VEEERRRY tight fit, has no cat., and uses a GTi-R exhaust manifold and heat shield. This design could be a BIG PItA to take out/install come emissions time. I have been tracking down suppliers of Japan spec. parts and I'm sure one of them could get the parts shipped in-I don't know at what cost tho.
The last idea only exists as a crude drawing I did. My thinking is that if there is enough room an adapter could be made to go between the engine block exhaust ports and divert the exhaust to a turbo mounted like the one on APEXSER. The n the the exhaust pipe out of the turbo could be split in two and routed to the factory exhaust manifold ports. This would keep the factory exhaust/cat. almost in it's original position which may be ok as far as environmental car laws go. If it is possible we might be able to install it and just leave it on permanently. Sadly, this may be the least feasible of all the ideas, but I'll see what I can figure out. Let me know what you guys think.

·
Registered
13 Posts
Discussion Starter · #15 ·
Ooops, sorry everyone. To see the APEXSER pictures you have to click on the SR20DE Forum link. Don't click the other one (SR20DE.org).

·
Registered
1,373 Posts
<BLOCKQUOTE><font size="1" face="Verdana, Arial">quote:</font><HR>Originally posted by Sentra Styling:

SO the stock is on the left i take,,,,and you had to drill a hole in the aftermarket pipe to accomodate one of the o2 sensors,,,,correct????

<HR></BLOCKQUOTE>

Right, we figured that mounting the o2 sensor in the same place of the stocker that it would work without a CE light. WRONG, CE light came because it never passed a cat, on my car the o2 sensor was spliced and extended to reach behind the cat just before the resonator. Unless one of those o2 sensors pass thru at least one cat, you will get a big fat CE light. You must mod the o2 sensor or it wont work. No way around it...

------------------
*Josh*
*myb15*

·
Registered
1,373 Posts
Previous se-rs had the o2 sensor right on the cat itself but on our b15 it was relocated to in front of the cat. (see pic of both downpipes) Which makes it impossible to come up clean if you use an aftermarket header (unless of course you mod the o2 sensor)

------------------
*Josh*
*myb15*

·
Registered
1,373 Posts
<BLOCKQUOTE><font size="1" face="Verdana, Arial">quote:</font><HR>Originally posted by Sentra Styling:

And this looks like it already has the hole for the sensor,,,,so no mod was needed there am i on track ????

<HR></BLOCKQUOTE>

Right!

------------------
*Josh*
*myb15*

·
Registered
100 Posts
OK here's another question. DarkSiDe, how big are the openings that cat? Are they around 2.5 inches? If so, then they are most likely not a bottleneck to efficient exhaust gas scavenging.

An alternative for the aftermarket manufacturers is to build a shorty system like JBA did for the Focus. It's pretty compacted. This way both of the cats will stay where they are and the car will be virtually assured of a clean sniffer test, as well as a clean visual.

By the way, if everyone hasn't got the latest issue of Sport Compact Car, get it now. It has two good articles on Nissan's Z and the SE-R spec V. If you're paying close attention, the SE-R spec V has a close coupled catalytic converter. I would guess that there's another cat located further downstream. This is the way it's going to be. The other states are adopting CARB requirements and they are pretty tough to get around. The WRX Scooby has THREE converters. Modding this car's exhaust ought to be a pipe bender's worst nightmare.

I emailed a CARB person and she was most helpful in posting an answer. Essentially she said that CARB frowns very heavily on moving the cat from its original factory location. The reason being that upon cold-start (car's not warmed up) emissions tend to be highest, and the cat will light off quicker when located so close to the engine. Moving it will defeat this purpose and is verboten. Any header made will have to keep the cats where they are, or at least close. Hence my suggestion to make a shorty header.

Now, if only we could get some intrepid manufacturer to come up with the CARB legal goods....

------------------
waiting for stromung, got the unorthodox

1 - 19 of 19 Posts