B15 Sentra Forum banner

1 - 20 of 20 Posts

·
Registered
23 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hello,

I started noticing an issue today where if I am stopped, and on level ground if I move the wheel to the right near the end of the "free play" I can hear and feel a clunk that is coming from the driver side and can be felt through on the steering wheel. If i continue to turn the wheel right after the noise it will not make it again, however if I stop turning the wheel and start turning it again it will make the same noise.

There have been a few times I have noticed what would be a little resistance when turning the wheel until the pop / clunk then the resistance would instantly free up. Again I have only noticed this a few times and am not sure if it is related.

I plan on looking under the car tomorrow is there anything specific i should be looking for to help pinpoint this issue?

I have a 2004 Spec-V
103k miles

Thanks guys!

·
Is still alive and well?
1,403 Posts
Something with the suspension I'm sure - Could be a tie-rod binding, or a ball joint binding up, something bent maybe -- could be a bad bushing.

·
Registered
1,494 Posts
Previous owner obviously ran over something big in my car. Lol. I have a similar situation, but there isn't a difference in resistance.

When I first drive after letting it sit for a while, overnight, my first left turn I always get a pop. And any sharp turns I take. It comes from the front right. I don't really feel it in the wheel though, but kinda through the body.

The LCA was in visable bad condition. Replaced. Got coilovers, stock front/right was pretty bent. Got nismo fsb. Replaced the axle. But the pop persists. Lol

I'm looking into replacing the hub and wheel bearing now. If it fails, I'm clueless.

·
The Black Cloud
236 Posts
Hello,

I started noticing an issue today where if I am stopped, and on level ground if I move the wheel to the right near the end of the "free play" I can hear and feel a clunk that is coming from the driver side and can be felt through on the steering wheel. If i continue to turn the wheel right after the noise it will not make it again, however if I stop turning the wheel and start turning it again it will make the same noise.

There have been a few times I have noticed what would be a little resistance when turning the wheel until the pop / clunk then the resistance would instantly free up. Again I have only noticed this a few times and am not sure if it is related.

I plan on looking under the car tomorrow is there anything specific i should be looking for to help pinpoint this issue?

I have a 2004 Spec-V
103k miles

Thanks guys!

change your rotors and pads... presto no more noise

·
Registered
23 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
change your rotors and pads... presto no more noise
Rotors and brakes were changed about 12k ago, defiantly not the problem.

I didnt hit anything in the road eather that caused this. It just started happening and noticed it at a red light. Now when making right turns from a stop i hear it everytime...

·
Registered
13 Posts
Get the car up on jack stands, turn the ignition switch to the on position without turning on the car, have someone sit in the driver's seat and turn the wheel. To help detect the noise from specific joints, take about a 2ft long 3/8" hose, one end to a suspension joint the other end to your ear, as someone is turning the wheel back and forth take a visual look while listening to what's happening. I would easily bet that you can find the issue with your noise in less than 20 minutes.

Otherwise everyone else is just playing a guessing game.

·
Registered
280 Posts
My 04 SE-R does the same thing. I looked and my bushings for the tie rod ends that connect to the lower controll arm were gone. I am going to replace them today and I will let you know if that worked for me. In the mean-while try taking a look at those bushings to see if they are still there.

·
Registered
23 Posts
Discussion Starter #12 (Edited)
So I ended up taking the car to 2 different shops. The first shop stated that the rack and pinion had a broken gear, however i could not believe that due to the nature of the issue.

The shop that the car is in now says its not the rack but the struts.
Anyone have any similar issues with struts? I am still a little hesitant and wanted to get an idea before doing anything.

Edit: It does not matter how much the wheels are turned in either direction. If they all the way to the left, center or to the right (just before the sterring lock) it will clunk / pop. Again once i start moving i can turn the wheel and i can no longer hear or feel it.

·
Registered
399 Posts
on my wife's Sentra, the strut bearing was bad. I got a new one, and the noise was gone. There is a bearing on top of the strut below the mount plate. It is an easy fix.

·
Registered
23 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
So i ended up taking the car to my brothers shop, we at first believed it was the inner and outter tie rod ends so we changed all of them (they needed replacing anyways the outters were torn) however that ended up not being the issue.

We used a stethoscope to try and pinpoint the location, we checked both strut bearings first because that what my brother and I thought it was however both checked out okay. Althought it is very hard to believe the rack may very well be the culprit even thought the issue is extremely uncharacteristic.

The car is still being worked on and I will send another update once the new rack is installed.

·
Registered
2,185 Posts
I hope you get all your money back for all these repairs.

on my wife's Sentra, the strut bearing was bad. I got a new one, and the noise was gone. There is a bearing on top of the strut below the mount plate. It is an easy fix.
This guy is correct.

·
Registered
59 Posts
Did you fix the problem? I have the same issue. I also get a clicking sound during slow speed turns. I also hear a single slight clunk when I accelerate and another single small clunk when I apply the brake.

I replaced shocks/struts (since they were also leaking)... improved handling but still had the noise
Then axles (mechanic showed me the loose play it had)... still noise
Then strut mounts... still noise

Finally another mechanic said its the control arms. He showed me that the bushings are ripped and the wheel was shifting in and out. Can't afford the $300+ for new control arms so I decided to order a set of Energy Suspension bushings ($40). Hopefully this will take care of it. Debating if I should also order some ball joints and replace those while I'm at it.

·
Registered
3 Posts
Have the clicking noise that is likely always there when turning the wheel but can only be heard when stopped or turning at a low rate of speed. The obvious thing is the tie-rod ends, since it is steering related. It is not related to the strut bearing if the car is sitting still and you are getting clicking noise when turning. It can be the strut bearing if you get a clunk noise when rolling.
I checked my tie-rod bearings and other joints and all is fine. I would love to know if you found out if it was the rack.

On a side note; Who was the genius who decided to call a ring of plastic a strut "bearing". I got ripped of when I was told I had to change mine and hearing "bearing" I figured it must be worth the cost. I was pissed when I changed my shocks and found out what the actual bearing was.

·
Registered
23 Posts
Discussion Starter #19
My brother and I ended up replacing the Steering Rack and Pinion and it ended up solving the problem. I still find it hard to believe that it was casuing the problem but one thing we did notice was that right before the POP, the rack was making a hissing noise and as soon as it popped the noise went away every time.

I do not know what exactly failed in the rack and pinion as it appeared visually to be just fine.

Now she is once again running like a champ and at $400 for new inner / outter tie rods and new rack installed is a helluva deal!

·
Registered
1 Posts
Something with the suspension I'm sure - Could be a tie-rod binding, or a ball joint binding up, something bent maybe -- could be a bad bushing.
Hey, I’ve had my ball joints cv axels and just now struts fixed and when I do a complete stop it still has a pop do you might know what’s wrong

1 - 20 of 20 Posts