B15 Sentra Forum banner

POp Cone filter VS Warm air???

999 views 9 replies 5 participants last post by  Original Mr Sentra 
#1 ·
I'm a little bit concern by the drop in performance of my my car since I install the Pop Cone... It 's sitting right next behind the battery, but there is no cold air coming into it, since the pipe used to bring fresh air is not connected to the Pop..

I felt that my car is sluggish when I drop the clutch, but the car get good acceleration once it is roling..

Anybody noticed any change?

Any explanation?

#2 ·
I kinda noticed that same thing when I had the Stillen pop-cone in my car then I went with the Cold Air and it became a whole different ball game:)

#3 ·
To tell you guys the truth, my old GXE(GA16DE) with an Injen "POP" setup was a bit sluggish at first, but at wide open, it was great compared to stock. My cold air setup with my SR20DE is totally off the hook compared to stock! It doesn't feel sluggish at all during take off.

#4 ·
Also, where does it stop being sluggish guy_geo? I'm wondering because at 4000 RPM's, the car really starts flyin. I've never revved and dropped the clutch at a light or dragged or anything, so it might be the same with my ride. I know when the car is actually already moving, I don't feel sluggish at all.

#5 ·
I have the same problem and today I proved (to myself at least) that it really is the case.

today was a colder day and rainy. My car had LOTS of pickup and go, low end and high end, much more than usual.

so my guess is the Pop cone really does have a warm air problem. That means Im going to be putting in a CAI sooner than I thought :))

#6 ·
Yes, it is slow to start at a light, but passed 4500, it is on fly!!!

Anyway, I was just concerned, but it seems that I'm not the only one to have noticed that!
Thanks for sharing!

#8 ·
guy-geo,

If you're referring to that little hose that is sticking up from the fender well into your engine bay, it does NOT bring any fresh air from the outside. When you install your CAI, you'll see what I'm talking about.

The way that the stock intake takes air in is like this. First, it sucks the air from the engine bay from a little hose. This air goes down into the fender well into a little black box that sits inside the front bumper. There is another hose that comes out of the box that directs the air into your intake. This last hose is what you see sticking out when you take your factory airbox out. When I took the black box out of the bumper, I was surprised to see that the bottom of it had NO OPENING.

If I confused you, just go and remove that box (2 screws under the bumper and fenderwell). It should give you better performance cuz now colder air will be able to enter your engine bay so your POP can at least breathe a little better.

#9 ·
Hey Hey RadiumJohn... that's a good solution!!

I'm not in Montreal right now, I'm in california, but as soon as I'll be back, I'll try it and let u know !!

Merci beaucoup, as we say in french!!!

#10 ·
RadiumJohn said:
If I confused you, just go and remove that box (2 screws under the bumper and fenderwell). It should give you better performance cuz now colder air will be able to enter your engine bay so your POP can at least breathe a little better.
Good call man, that sounds like an great idea to the POP. Too bad no mandrel bent piping, but that's a very cheap mod. :)

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.