B15 Sentra Forum banner
1 - 20 of 31 Posts

·
Slappy McGear Slapper
913 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
While installing my header I decided to take off the plastic engine cover thing and leave it off. Now I am wondering if its possible to take off and paint the valve cover. I was thinking maybe painting it with engine enamel, maybe mask off the NISSAN and paint that white. Well it doesnt seem like its made of metal to me, some kind of composite plastic maybe? Ayway how hard is it to remove and what type of paint should I use? Anyone who has done this have pics it would be great.

·
She was so young...
254 Posts

·
Slappy McGear Slapper
913 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
love that contrim, thats exactly how I wanted to paint mine. Any details yu can give me? DO you have to pull the plugs to remove the valve cover? What type of paint?

·
Boost Addict
3,414 Posts
ok this is how to paint the cover and lettering different colors. first remove the vc from the car. be aware that this process will take 24hrs to do right. Clean vc with soap and water. tape off all areas that you do not want to get paint in or on. There are two ways to do the lettering. the first way is to paint the letters first then use masking tape to cover the lettering and use a razor to trim around the letters so the rest of the vc can be painted. The other way is to paint the whole vc one color then use a small paint brush and paint the letters by hand(this is what I did). You will also want to top off the whole vc with a high temp engine clear coat. this will help keep your paint looking nice. Just a note for those who choose to paint the letters by hand you can use regular engine paint by spraying it into a plastic container and brushing it on(this is how I did it)

·
Registered
214 Posts
what is our vc made of?dont look like aluminum like all the others.....is there any sanding,primering involved????how many coats of each are needed?

·
El Burro
4,272 Posts
Its made of some kind of high temp plastic. I forgot the name of the actual material thuogh. I didn't use any primer when I painted mine. All I did was use a base coat, then applied the metal cast paint then the clear coat.

·
Slappy McGear Slapper
913 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
Anything hard or special about removing the valve cover? Just remove the coils, pull the plugs then undo all the bolts? Need a new gasket or anything?

·
Registered
118 Posts
read the links people give u.... for example this post written by DEUCE over at the VBoard.....

Anyways, first thing I did was take out the 4 bolts holding the coil packs on, and pull them straight up. Then there is a wire harness bolted to the intake that will be in the way (you can see it in the pic on the far left hand side), so remove 2 bolts and its undone. Then there were 2 other wire harnesses I undid, one went to the throttle body, the other went into annother harness for the engine, it was on the far right hand side. I undid these so that the valve cover wouldn't have anything in the way when it was undone, so it would come straight off, but I am sure you might be able to do it without that step. With all that undone, I flipped the harness, and all the coil packs up and layed them on the intake so they were out of the way. From there I undid the 2 hoses that go to the valve cover, there is one on the back, and one on the side. To remove these, just get some needle nose pliers and undo the clamps (press in, they get larger, pretty straight forward, just move them further down the hose and the hose come off easy. Next I went from one end, to the next, back and forth un-doing all the valve cover bolts, until I met in the middle. When all the bolts are out, slowly lift straight up. There you have it. The gasket is rubber and should be able to be re-used, all you will need is a little silicone for 2 spots at the front of the engine, you will see where you need it when you pull off the valve cover, just make sure you peel off all the old stuff before you put it back on. I used Permatex Ultra Grey, as its a grey silicone that they have in there from the factory. Thats all I can remember so I hope I didn't miss any steps.

·
Slappy McGear Slapper
913 Posts
Discussion Starter · #16 ·
I agree with ya Snowman. I got the idea after checking out my buddy's Integra and his vc looked so much nicer. I dont feel bad copying though, since that is just phat as hell:) BTW Snow, you ran your car at the track yet? If so, what kind of numbers?

·
Registered
90 Posts
Gandalf said:
I agree with ya Snowman. I got the idea after checking out my buddy's Integra and his vc looked so much nicer. I dont feel bad copying though, since that is just phat as hell:) BTW Snow, you ran your car at the track yet? If so, what kind of numbers?
The best time I have in the 1/8th was a 9.52 (which =14.7 ish in the 1/4) w?I,H,E,TBBP. I havent been since al the new mods but ti is defiantly quicker cant wait til the weather improves. :)

·
Slappy McGear Slapper
913 Posts
Discussion Starter · #18 ·
Cool Cool, just wondering.

·
Registered
312 Posts
I did mine the other day, hasn't gotten onto the car yet( i had a spare) but here are a couple of pics. I used a metallic flake in mine, it shines under the sun, much better than the pics.

1 - 20 of 31 Posts