B15 Sentra Forum banner

1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Sentra = SOLD
352 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hello...the least attractive part of my car, under the hood, is the exhaust manifold. I have a QG18 and I purchased it used, and this piece was really rustic when I bought it. My friend thought it would be funny to spray it with hi-temp chrome paint last summer, when it was hot, and that lasted about a couple weeks until it burned off. Im now concitering sanding it, and repainting it a hi-temp red to go with my HS CAI...is this a decent idea, or will the paint only burn off again? last time the moron did it when it was hot, over a rusted surface, so I can see why that burnt off...but do you think this is even worth my time or should I just leave it alone at this point? just curious if anyone else has ever painted this POS on a QG18 or SR20 (believe SR20 has almost same looking piece on it) thanks for advice, wish i could post pics but i dont have a dig camera any more >.<

-brady

·
gone :(
1,283 Posts
^^hahah
I was thinking about painting my OBX header b/c it looks like crap now

·
coming soon
14,392 Posts
sand it totally....completely....then clean it off with alcohol, and use the 1200* high temp paint, put on one solid coat and BAKE IT for 4 hours at 400*.

apply a second coat, let it dry (of course) and bake it, this time for 4 hours at 500*.

This is the only way to make it last if at all possible.

keep in mind you can't paint a turbo manifold, it'll burn off no matter what u do.

·
Registered
4,958 Posts
^^^^^^^^

Couldn't he just get it powder coated?

oh and if you bake it, do it in a friend's oven.. those fumes won't be nice.

·
coming soon
14,392 Posts
powdercoating will melt off too if it's not a high temp powdercoat.

Also, if you use the oven, make sure the place has some open windows....

and clean the oven or run it at 400 for 3 hours after you're done to clean it out.

·
Course Deviation Driving
443 Posts
Just save your money and get a Hotshot header ,that will look better.

·
Iknowyoulovereadingso..
5,527 Posts
sorry for jacking the thread but what about the valve cover..can that just be sanded and painted with the 500* high temp engine enamel? will the paint hold up on that?

·
Vibrant Blue Army
1,637 Posts
Sentrase00 said:
^^hahah
I was thinking about painting my OBX header b/c it looks like crap now
mine still looks dope....i love that bronze...
:p

...and what is this dark oxygen website you got going? is it like some online diary?

·
Registered
224 Posts
FuLIsh said:
sorry for jacking the thread but what about the valve cover..can that just be sanded and painted with the 500* high temp engine enamel? will the paint hold up on that?
I was thinkin about gettin my valve cover powdercoated I dunno what color though hmmmmmmmmmmmmm, sorry just through that outta no where.. :)

·
Iknowyoulovereadingso..
5,527 Posts
if i had a black ride i would prolly get it powder coated black and paint the nissan sign like red or white. im thinkin of doing mine red with black and white lettering but im unsure how well the paint will hold up

·
Registered
224 Posts
FuLIsh said:
if i had a black ride i would prolly get it powder coated black and paint the nissan sign like red or white. im thinkin of doing mine red with black and white lettering but im unsure how well the paint will hold up
just get it powdercoated it'll hold up :D

·
coming soon
14,392 Posts
UnosGirl said:
I was thinkin about gettin my valve cover powdercoated I dunno what color though hmmmmmmmmmmmmm, sorry just through that outta no where.. :)
if your cover is plastic like I think it is, you can't powdercoat it.

i'm thinkin only the 04s are the 1.8s with metal valve covers.

also, the qr25 valve cover (if plastic) can't be powdercoated

·
Registered
224 Posts
chimmike said:
if your cover is plastic like I think it is, you can't powdercoat it.

i'm thinkin only the 04s are the 1.8s with metal valve covers.

also, the qr25 valve cover (if plastic) can't be powdercoated

mine's metal

1 - 15 of 15 Posts