B15 Sentra Forum banner

1 - 20 of 133 Posts

·
Banned
5,364 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
Today i bought my short shifter finally.

edit 7/10/5: people keep pm'ing me for part number and place to buy it so here:

Part Number: 01-0422
http://www.machonecar.com/Product.aspx?nav=4&p=01-0422

thats the item, buy it and be happy. i know it says its for a different car but it works for all qg's and se's so if you want it, get it, dont pm me asking me this. kthanks.

Antonio

·
Banned
5,364 Posts
Discussion Starter #3 (Edited)
Okey.

To start out, I removed my center console. After I was done with the install I realized I could have done the install without taking it off but Im glad I did that way it was out of the way and in case I needed to take it out later I wouldn’t grease it all up.

Instructions also say to unbolt the exhaust since the rear exhaust section and cacoon cat join at that exact point. I did not unscrew it cuz I didn’t have a 14mm Deep socket wrench. I could still do the install no problem. If u wanna take it out its up to you.

Tools you will definitely need is 10, 12, 14mm DEEP SOCKETS. Make sure you have these before hand so you don’t have to borrow a car to go get them from the store. A flat screwdriver to help things loosen up.

1. Jack up your car and put it on jackstands all the way around. Don’t risk it! Be safe!

2. Remove the heatshield. There is 4 nuts size 10mm use deep socket on those. Also 2 nuts 14mm deep socket also. And the exhaust (optional)

3. Here’s a breakdown of nut sizes: I unscrewed most of them. :eek:

4. Loosen the shifter and unhook the spring.

5. Take off these two 10mm nuts to take off top steel cover.

6. Remove top thing.

7. Remove shifter.

8. Remove C-clips (2)

9. broken down

10. picture of components u will need later.

11. get your pacesetter shifter and put the rubber thing on it first.

12. stock shifter vs. short shifter comparison. make sure you put the rubber boot first and not the ball first...

13. Screw the ball into place and secure the set screw with allen wrench. Following pugnex’s recommendation, I put the ball ALL the way at the top for the shortest shift possible.

14. Put provided lube on ball and bearings and reassemble bearing assembly around ball.

15. You get this dustcover with the pacesetter ss kit.

16. Put it into the top thing…

17. Fully assembled shifter. ^^^That thing goes over the fully assembled shifter. (arrow pointing down)

18. Put everything back and this is how it should look.

19. I have the redline boot with a 350Z knob and this is how I fixed the horrible overhang. Put 3 zip ties pointing different directions and Don’t cut off the tails.

20. Boom. Finished.

Part 2.

NOW. Energy Suspension Shifter Bushing Kit.

1. Shifter linkage on tranny where the bushings go.

2. Use a 14mm wrench here.

3. Take it off

4. Since I fully disassembled the ENTIRE shifting assembly I was able to take that bar off to the side and work on it.

5. Easily push it out with a screwdriver.

6. Lube up the bushings, put em in, and assemble everything back. DONE.

7. Comparison of the stock and aftermarket.

·
Engaged! :)
2,687 Posts
nice writeup :)

·
Registered
1,923 Posts
Will those shifter bushings from ES work on an SE? I did search on several sites, includeing the one you listed, and couldn't find them.... :confused:

·
EVOlving
2,059 Posts
Good write up! I've had the ES bushing in my SE for a while now, but I just got a pacesetter this week and installed it today... good timing :) Did you leave the heat shield out or cut it? I put mine on the shortest shift possible, too, so I had to cut a chunk out of the top of the heat shield to let the control rod clear.

·
EVOlving
2,059 Posts
I looked at it last night to see what I was in for today. Overall, it's very straight forward. The hardest part for me was getting the car up high enough to work on it. :) I'm lowered on Tein SS and once I got the front up, the rear was so low that even my low profile jack barely fit (1/2 in of clearance). It is a very good right up though. Now that I look at it again, that's pretty much what I did.

·
Registered
10 Posts
Wow, super thorough! It makes me want to go do it myself! Seriously, I do appreciate all those how-to guys, but dang, it would be f*cken cool if they were as thorough as this dude. :) :)

·
qg18det
911 Posts
1SentraNotEnuff said:
i left the heatshield out. i didnt find nothing to cut it with so i just left it out.
Have you noticed any problems from this? I did the same thing when I did my short shifter (non- pacesetter, ebay b&m copy), but mostly from laziness. My shifter didnt hit it at all. I just waited a few weeks till I installed my catback to put it back on, cause it wouldnt have been easy to squeeze it around the exhaust.
But my reason for this post was that when I was driving without the heatshield, I could feel heat around the base of my shifter if I lifted the plastic piece surrounding the shift boot and felt the 'pivot ball mount' (dont know what better to call it). Since Ive put that heat shield back on I cant feel any heat there. Heat cant be good for a moving part, especially with the plastic pivot balls on those pacesetters. Just wanted to let you know, in case you havent noticed this yet.
________
Live sex

·
Banned
5,364 Posts
Discussion Starter #18
i havent checked if it gets hot. i guess in rush hour traffic, and you were going slow then heat from the exhaust pipe would have the chance to float up into your console and get it warm...

anyways, i commute from home to work 6 days a week and the ride is about 4 minutes long so i never even get the exhaust hot. i dont know what to tell you. i have the heatshield in storage and if i ever need it i guess i can put it on. but for now i dont haev it and the SS works like a charm.

·
Registered
85 Posts
1SentraNotEnuff said:
yeah they should work. SE and QG have the same shifter and same gearbox, i dont know about the tranny but i heard they work. theyre only $7 bux if anything.
where did you get the ES bushing? Mossy has one for us but the part number is slightly different i got an SE

1 - 20 of 133 Posts