B15 Sentra Forum banner
1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
RWD is teh bomb
2,138 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Guys.. is there really a purpose to having the Overdrive on/off on the Se Automatics? Better/Worse Gas Milage Better/Worse Acceleration??
I was wonderin when in drive thru at kfc...

·
Time Warp
1,141 Posts
O/D off gets rid of our "4th gear". You get more torque to haul up the hills with less throttle. Acceleration FEELS better, I don't know if it really is though. Gas mileage is supposed to be worse with O/D off.

·
Al, The Ignorant Fcuk
9,081 Posts
Reason for O/D "off"

If you are in stop and go or are in a region with hills and slower speeds. This does not allow the vehicle to go into 4 th as was mentioned. The purpose is to minimumize extra shifting which results in increased wear on the transmission. The penalty is decreased milage especially because this feature also prevents the Torque converter from "locking up" which means no slipage occurs.

·
Registered Loser
6,883 Posts
Wow, great info you two, I never knew exactly what my O/D did on my old GXE. Great explaination!

·
Registered
3,122 Posts
In certain areas in my area there is alot of hillside type roads and when I have the O/D on,,, it'll switch into passing gear alot to make it up those hills and when I don't have the O/D button off it won't go into passing gear at all,,,it'll remain on the same gear throughout the hill,,,so in terms it'll save you gas because of the fact that your not constantly switching to passing gear.....

·
Al, The Ignorant Fcuk
9,081 Posts
This is probably micro managing things...

but if you want to get real decent gas milage, you can use a very light foot and avoid the down shifting in many cases (overdrive light off). I really try to get good milage so that's how I operate. For those with a heavier foot, its probably best to have the light on in those hilly situations and avoid the extra shifts. BTW sometimes when you go up hills and feel it shift it's not really dropping down to 3rd gear, its the torque converter dropping out of positive lock and staying in 4th. And just in case you didn't realize it, there is no "passing gear" per se it's just a lower gear, it could be 3rd or 2nd or (god forbid) 1st. Damn, wish I had a 5 sp.

·
Registered
59 Posts
In my car its strange when i put O/D on the car feels really smooth almost like it has an extra gear. When i take O/D off it feel like the engine is constantly working more, whereas the O/D on feels like its cruising and super quiet. I get better acceleration with O/D off too but past like 40mph it feels like its revving way too much.

·
Registered
3,122 Posts
Neil said:
In my car its strange when i put O/D on the car feels really smooth almost like it has an extra gear. When i take O/D off it feel like the engine is constantly working more, whereas the O/D on feels like its cruising and super quiet. I get better acceleration with O/D off too but past like 40mph it feels like its revving way too much.
Exactly it's made to use on roads that have alot of hills or city driving you can keep it off,,,,But when you hit the highway or a road that you will be at higher speeds then you should leave the O/D on.....

·
Registered
59 Posts
Will it damage anything by keeping O/D off goin higher speeds constantly like 70mph?

·
Registered
3,122 Posts
Oh I'm sure it will cause your rpms will be sky high......

·
Registered
169 Posts
the 5th gear on you manual is essentialy an OD gear. The ratio of the final gear is selected to give good fuel milage and ok acceleration if you need it.

Original Mr Sentra said:
Wow, great info you two, I never knew exactly what my O/D did on my old GXE. Great explaination!

·
Registered
169 Posts
not to state the obvious or anything ,but overdrive is a fourth gear.

doc

Neil said:

1 - 12 of 12 Posts