B15 Sentra Forum banner
1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Chesse Curd Connoisseur
1,121 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
This first month of owning my SE has been a great one, still haven't forgotten about my DSM though:) I have this nagging thought in the back of my head.......

Do I trade it in for a SE-R Spec V next summer?

I HATE this whole waiting game. I couldn't stand to wait anymore, so that is why I bought the SE in the first place. Nobody knows how the aftermarket is going to react to it. If it is good, then what happens to the SE owners? Will they be forgotten? The one thing that bothers me with the SE-R is that it uses a returnless fuel system. Potentially, could be a better aftermarket for the SE? Maybe.... I wan't to start buying more goodies for my SE, but that's pretty stupid if I trade it in next year.

I also hate the class that I'm in for the auto cross events that I'm in. They consider that the 2001 SE is so much better/faster than the 2000, it has to be in a higher class:confused: I will say this after my first auto cross event, it frigging ROCKS!

Just looking for some opinions

·
Registered
186 Posts
I'm asking myself the same question for all the points you mentioned. Deep down, I really want the Spec V no matter what. You could say its my dream car (ok, besides the WRX). Just the 6 spd aspect alone makes me want it. Ability to "supercuise" without revving to high rates high on my agenda not to mention that nice engine. :)
To tell you the truth, since the exhaust on the Spec V seems already souped up, I don't think I'd modify a single thing if I got it. It has the 17" and tighter suspension. Its got the muscle. What more do I need? Myabe the only thing I can think of is a CAI.
With the SE, if have to get Sportlines or Pro's, 17" mags/tires, PR CAI, Stromung, maybe even thinker sway bars too. Hmmm. Granted the benefit is lower insurance and it can be spread out in time. Spec V is one time cash down.

Hmmm, decision, decisions, decisions. :(

G

·
That returnless fuel system is an area of concern. The Focus guys are plauged with that type of fuel system aswell. It is creating a lot of tuning problems.

It's hard to say what to do. None of us have seen or driven an Se-r. We are more or less sure it will be a better car in stock trim, but who knows about in modified trim. All sources seem to indicate that the new motor probably won't have the tuning potential of the SR20DE. However, the aftermarket will be more likely to produce parts for the new 2.5L, so who knows.

Suspension wise, there is nothing on the Se-r that can't be done to the SE. Now, your aware that the new Se-r will probably be in the same class as the Type-R in SCCA, so your not improving your chances much.

I guess you have to consider your reasons for wanting a new car. What about the SE don't you like? How much money are you willing to lose on your current car to get a new one?

·
Chesse Curd Connoisseur
1,121 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
I really don't have any problems with my SE. Just that I spend X amount of dollars to get it up to "par" with the SE-R. Great, now what, besides bolt on a really cool toy:)

The reason I didn't feel bad getting the SE because it has a tried and true histoy. VERY big selling point. (Won't buy a Mitsu for a long time or untill I win the lottery)

I'm new to all of this autox stuff, but I think the local club here classes things differently. A fellow SE-R, SCCA Member, from Min. had also comented on it. I wasn't too far off of the 2 ITRs that were there. It was my first time and my friend's also (He was one of the ITRs) I think if I had his hp, I would have smoked him:)

Thinkin' I should be happy with what I have.

"Yes, I'd like to order a CAI........" :)

·
Bow to your SE GOD
4,702 Posts
I've heard that the 180hp, 6spd. Celica GTS is geared much too close together, and I'd bet that the SER-spec-V will be the same. You do get the advantage of low revvs on the highway, but with shorter gears, you'll have an awful sore right shoulder from all those shifts! Just my $.02. I love my SE, and would consider the SER, but not the spec-V. Don't forget they're more $$ upfront than the SE- has anyone figured out how much $ it would take to bring an SE up to SER specs?

·
Registered
186 Posts
Well not according to one "first look". They said 1st and 2nd were take off gears. 3rd was a do all. the rest to boogie at high speeds. In 6th, apparently you can be travelling at 160km/h (96mph) at 4000 rpms. That's pretty decent if you ask me. :)

Its not like my old SiR, 120km/h (72mph) at 4000 rpms. Course the redline was at 8000. :)

·
Registered
446 Posts
If the new Q45 is any indication oh how the New nissans will perform, I'd rather stay with my SE. It has been proven that Nissan over rates their HP, not talking about engine as opposed to wheels. I'm talking about really over rating it. So what if the spec V actually only comes with 170 at the engine? Adding a header to my current set-up and I will be there. The non spec-v will not have a 6 spd option so what would really be the point? I know I know nice wheels, new wing etc....those can all be had for cheaper than the 21k price tag all the Nissan dealerships are quoting me currently. i KNEW it wouldn't be under 20k.

·
Registered
0 Posts
well the overdrive 6th gear better be low at highway speeds...cause if you think about it...95mph 4000 rpms with a 2.5 liter is about the same as 75mph at 4000 rpms with a 1.6 liter. im pretty sure a 6speed is required for cars that tend to be a bit on the large size. some say that the gts does not need an extra gear. so it all depends on the way they geared it.

oh yeah and ill3tk, trust me...no matter how much money we put into our cars, no matter how much faster our cars become...our SE's will never be an SER. You can put a b18c5 engine into a ls integra...but it will never be a Type R :)

·
Registered
186 Posts
Hmmmm....good point. :) Perhaps that's why I want an SE-R so bad.

·
Registered
12 Posts
Even if the SR20DE ends up being more tunable then the QR25DE, you have to realize the QR25DE starts with a 40hp advantage. So even after you're done moding your SE, you'll probably only break even with a stock QR25DE in terms of power.

If you're talking turbo then that's where the SE might have the advantage. It's sand-cast closed deck design and thicker piston lands offer much more strength when faced with boost. The SR20DE is proven to be able to take 400-450hp on stock internals. But realize that boost is acctualy just a displacement multiplier for all intents and purposes. There's a formula I can't remember but it's like for every psi of boost, you multiply your displacement by so much. Obviously then the less displacement you have to start out with, the more boost you'll need to make the same amount of power that a larger displacement motor makes.

The point being that while the QR25DE is weaker when it comes to how much psi it can handle when compared to the SR20DE, it doesn't need as much psi in the first place to match the SE's power since it has .5 more liters of displacement. For an example (these unmbers could be totaly wrong), give the SR20DE 8psi of boost and you're making 220hp, but you only have to give the QR25DE 5psi to make the same power. See what I mean?

·
Al, The Ignorant Fcuk
9,081 Posts
correct me if I am wromg..

each psi is .068 increase ( 1/ 14.7) . 8 psi x .068 is .544 times displacement. .544 x 2.0 L is 1.09 so thats 3.09 L ?? So then we are talking about 1.5 x 145 hp or 218 Hp.??

1 - 11 of 11 Posts