B15 Sentra Forum banner
1 - 20 of 23 Posts

·
Registered
11 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
...will be getting it soon and was wondering if there are any "long term" effects of using such a device (ex, sparkplug wear, injector failure, etc). My 2K sentra SE has 11K on it right now.

1st tuneup should be at 100K, so does using the icepack mean I need to tuneup sooner? Thanks a lot. Jack.

·
Registered
1,267 Posts
what excatly does this "icepak" do?

------------------
2000 Nissan Sentra SE - HP RacingMotorsport Coilovers - Razo Carbonfiber Pedals - Razo titanium shift knob - Razo Shift Light - Nology Hotwires

·
JCC
1,129 Posts
No there is no real long-term effects, and from experience I am telling you that you should go ahead and get it ASAP. MOst people get intake, pulleys, cam gears, andexhaust for their car and leave the ignition alone and think they are getting good performance gains, but when you add the ignition you will really feel the difference. In a 1.6L 1994 Sentra I added MSD-6A ignition, plug wires, cast back exhaust, headers, racing coil, air intake. And the car went from a stock 17.52 second quarter mile(automatic), to a 15.98. So I am telling you it does the trick and I Jacob's seems a lot better than MSD and that's what I am getting in a couple of months. HOw much can you get it for? my best price so far is $324. Thanks

·
Registered
1,267 Posts
where can this be purchased.... you guys make me want the Jacobs ICE pack ignition now..... really makes a difference huh?...

------------------
2000 Nissan Sentra SE - HP RacingMotorsport Coilovers - Razo Carbonfiber Pedals - Razo titanium shift knob - Razo Shift Light - Nology Hotwires

·
JCC
1,129 Posts
Helllllllll yes!, you can get the ignition from jacobselectronics.com, or from this one place I saw in sport compact car magazine, not sure the name though but they have the ice-pak on their ad and the price. the MSD is the best mod that I put on my other sentra, and the Jacob's ignition can put out 5 times the spark than the MSD 6A, so I can't wait till I get it. The only other ignition to match it is the Crane Cams Hi-6R ignition with the LX-92 coil, you can get that one at cranecams.com. ok keep posting replys if you got questions.

·
JCC
1,129 Posts
your welcome, if you are reading this and are doubting what I say then you need to learn a wee bit more about engines, you cant have more air and more fuel coming into the engine without the ignition to spark it and make the reactions necessary. Juan

·
Fogey
4,298 Posts
Spend your money elsewhere. There is no need to upgrade the ignition system on the sr20de powered car or for that matter any b platform car. The stock Nissan ignition system does a very good job handling all the mods that can be done to the car. All those cars out there running turbos (wether they are kits or swaps) have never swapped out the ignition stuff and they are all running fine. That should be a testament of how well they do. Yes other cars may need it but the Nissan ignition system does a perfectly good job keeping up with your mods.

If you don't believe me.. read this http://www.se-r.net/car_info/engine_performance_tuning.html#Spark%20plugs%20and%20Ignition%20systems

------------------
2000 Sentra SE performance package (radium)
Sunroof/Leather/Tint/Gas cap holder
SMC Short shifter (not yet installed)

·
JCC
1,129 Posts
Yes David you are correct that Nissan's ignition system can handle the power gains that are available from different mods, even turbo since the motor itself is pretty much the same as the sr20de-t's in Japan, my point is not that the stock ignition is going to fail with added power, but that great performance gains can be had by adding an aftermarket ignition after certain mods have been added, I dont suggest doing ignition first. But I track tested my 1.6L 94' sentra before and after the ignition(MSD-6A) and the gain was amazing. go ahead and try it yourself, stick a screwdriver in one of the plug wires and put it about an inch away from the strut brace and cranck the engine and you will see the spark the stock ignition makes, then add the racing ignition and do the same test and then see what I mean. Getting a 17.5 second stock 1.6L sentra to a 15.97 with automatic transmission was done with just header, ignition, plug wires, racing coil, cat-back exhaust, and intake. so overall only like $1k to drop over 1.5seconds off quarter mile time is pretty good in my opinion.

·
Registered
29 Posts
Yes, that is a good investment for the performance increase. But what he is saying is that your performance increase was due to all the other mods, and had nothing to do with putting in an aftermarket ignition.

If you car is stock with a SR20DE, I really don't think a new ignition is necessary. Money better spent elsewhere I think.

------------------
Mike
-Please pass the vodka!-

[This message has been edited by vodkajello (edited February 20, 2001).]

·
JCC
1,129 Posts
I guess you people dont listen, or I forgot to add something in. I tested the car before and after the ignition, and it is like adding intake for the first time on a stock engine, you can actually feel the difference. But yes I do agree it is a waste to add it to a completely stock car. Air intake, exhaust, underdrive pulleys are a must before ignition, headers as well if not going turbo. Juan

·
Resigned
411 Posts
Did you have it dynoed? If not you have no room to speak. I believe the SE-R guys dynoed theres before and after and saw minimal results.

<BLOCKQUOTE><font size="1" face="Verdana, Arial">quote:</font><HR>Originally posted by JCGator42:
I guess you people dont listen, or I forgot to add something in. I tested the car before and after the ignition, and it is like adding intake for the first time on a stock engine, you can actually feel the difference. But yes I do agree it is a waste to add it to a completely stock car. Air intake, exhaust, underdrive pulleys are a must before ignition, headers as well if not going turbo. Juan<HR></BLOCKQUOTE>

------------------

2000 Sentra SE w/Performance Package,5spd,Granite
Strobe lights in headlights, SMC STS, Gas cap holder, BridgeStone RE730 205x55/16s, Timing Advance @18 degrees, Mobil 1 5w30

·
JCC
1,129 Posts
The best ignitions out on the market are the Jacob's Electronics ICE-PAK for Imports, and Crane Cams HI-6 or HI-6R with LX-92 Coil or PS-92 coil. they have domestic versions which are amazing as well. MSD 6A is the cost effective way to go, and from experience I can tell you it really makes a difference. I will be installing the ICE-PAK on my SR20DE this summer and will let everyone know the performance gain before and after ignition. I will be doing a complete project out of my car with turbo and tons other things I cant say yet by this summer or winter break. I will make a site with all the info. soon enough

·
Registered
560 Posts
I second the Big Bad Owners.
To JC Gator:
It might make sense to mod the ignition on a '94 1.6 sentra, just like it made sense to do that to my old '79 Chevy. No offence. But the ignition on the new 20DE ought to be adequate for any mod up to and including the turbo install. Check the SR net. Don't confuse people in to spending more money then they have to. If you want to talk about the best way to speed up the car for cheap - light flywheel is the way to go. Forged wheels is another way, but much more expensive. Quad throttle bodies come to mind too. Some computer reprogramming. And don't get in to all that "stock ignition can't make use of the increased air/fuel". It can. There are no fools sitting at Nissan. They make a very enviro friendly car. To do that they have to have a very good ignition.
I rest my case.

·
Registered
560 Posts
To Spirit:
In responce to your question:
It will redce the life of the distributor cap and rotor.

·
Resigned
411 Posts
Ur experience does not include the SR20DE buddy. Sorry the tests were proven, its a waste.

<BLOCKQUOTE><font size="1" face="Verdana, Arial">quote:</font><HR>Originally posted by JCGator42:
The best ignitions out on the market are the Jacob's Electronics ICE-PAK for Imports, and Crane Cams HI-6 or HI-6R with LX-92 Coil or PS-92 coil. they have domestic versions which are amazing as well. MSD 6A is the cost effective way to go, and from experience I can tell you it really makes a difference. I will be installing the ICE-PAK on my SR20DE this summer and will let everyone know the performance gain before and after ignition. I will be doing a complete project out of my car with turbo and tons other things I cant say yet by this summer or winter break. I will make a site with all the info. soon enough<HR></BLOCKQUOTE>

------------------

2000 Sentra SE w/Performance Package,5spd,Granite
Strobe lights in headlights, SMC STS, Gas cap holder, BridgeStone RE730 205x55/16s, Timing Advance @18 degrees, Mobil 1 5w30

·
Registered
16 Posts
read THIS and click on plugs and Ignition systems and decide for yourself.

------------------
There before me was a pale horse.
Its rider was named Death, and
Hell was coming with him.

[This message has been edited by 4thHORSEMAN (edited February 22, 2001).]

1 - 20 of 23 Posts