B15 Sentra Forum banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Super Moderator
8,869 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Since it seems to be old school week around here and I coincidentally just finished upgrading one my computers, I thought I'd post up some pictures. This is the system I use specifically for sim racing (mostly iRacing.com).

The system is a Shuttle XPC SZ68R5, i5-3570k overclocked to 4.5 GHz, Asetek sealed water cooler, EVGA GTX 770 video card, 8 GB RAM, 120 GB SSD and some generic DVD drive.

·
Designated Drinker
2,416 Posts
You had any problems with water-cooling leakage before? It always sounds like a good idea, but it scares the crap out of me at the same time.

I think I need to recase my box (again). Its fine for this "winter" season, but during summer, the video & RAID cards are getting extremely hot. Dont want to shorten the lifespan too much from heat, alone.

Considering the CoolerMaster HAF 912 Advanced

·
Super Moderator
8,869 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
I think I had one leak in the past due to a failed reservoir seal. But you still need airflow for the radiator.

The kit I put into the Shuttle is a factory-sealed unit that primarily serves OEM's. I only used it because it was known to fit in the Shuttle case. The other desktops in the house use air cooling, but they are not overclocked. Even the 3930k system.

·
Al, The Ignorant Fcuk
9,081 Posts
Looks impressive..but how would I know. My backup computer failed to boot last week so its now at my son's .
I don't know what I would do without him. One thing is I would have to stop running Linux for sure.

·
Resident Geologist
12 Posts
I will probably need to get building a new computer sometime...although I don't really have much trouble with it. My CPU isn't too outdated, but I know DD3 RAM is much better then my old DDR2 and it seems like most are running windows off SSD drives instead. It makes me sad to think there have been 4 generations of graphics cards since mine..and it was top of the line when I got it.

·
Super Moderator
8,869 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
There's no reason to upgrade if it still meets your needs. The computer in the first post was ~$2000 in parts, including the monitor, headset, wheel, pedals and shifter.

·
Resident Geologist
12 Posts
There's no reason to upgrade if it still meets your needs. The computer in the first post was ~$2000 in parts, including the monitor, headset, wheel, pedals and shifter.
Yeah I know. The only thing I use that could really need the new/extra computer power is adobe lightroom. Other then that I don't have time to play games or anything anymore.

·
Super Moderator
8,869 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Not sure how much RAM you're running now, but some extra and a SSD can make a world of difference.

1 - 8 of 8 Posts