B15 Sentra Forum banner
1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
19 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I am thinking of changing the rims and tires on my GXE. What i think i will get is a 215/40/17. I searched some previous posts and I think most of you guys with this size don't get any rubbing right?

the other thing is on my car, there is a black plastic cover under the car right behind the left rear wheel under the bumper. with my stock 185 tire, they look pretty close to each other. I am wonder if i use a 215 tire, will there be enough space for the tire without touching the plastic cover.Can someone pls tell me if the SE has this cover too? or only on the GXE? coz most of you guys who use the 215/40/17 tires have a SE, so i am wondering if it will fit on the GXE?

thx

oh and the bolts are: 4x114.3 right?

G

·
Do you have 185/60 15's stock? We will need to know your stock tire size in order to calculate how far off your new tires will be.

If you do have that size listed above, the 215/40 17 will be a perfect match. They will be within a couple tenths of an inch of eachother in overall diameter.

again, we need to confirm what your car has stock. I can't remember what it is on the GXE's. hehehe

·
Registered
19 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
actually i have the 185/65/14 on mine. It should be the same as the 195/55/15 if i had pay for the package. It will still fit?

So the SE does have that black little plastic cover also?

G

·
Yeah, 215/40 17 would be the best fit. You will only be 1.28% off. That is about as close as you can get. Your overall circumference will be .95" larger on the new wheels. Your overall diameter will be within a couple tenths of an inch. You will not have any clearance problems.

What black plastic thing are you referring to? I had something fall off my car from that area, so maybe that was it. hehehe.

·
Registered
19 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Thx Max....It is a black plastic cover behind the left rear wheel which is pretty big.

You won't miss it if you have it. So i wonder either you dropped it or the Se doesn't have it.

Oh so with the 1.28% difference is actually very small ? sorry for asking but i am new to this.

[Edited by GXE2K on 05-08-2001 at 07:23 PM]

G

·
Yes it is small. Consider the total distance around your tire (the circumference.) The new tire is basically 1 inch larger in circumference. The height of the tire is only a couple tenth's of an inch different. If you put the two tires side by side, you probably couldn't tell the difference between the two assuming both have new tread.

I forgot to write down the speedometer error, but it will only be like 1 MPH at most at 60MPH.

·
Super Moderator
8,871 Posts
GXE2K said:
Thx Max....It is a black plastic cover behind the left rear wheel which is pretty big.

You won't miss it if you have it. So i wonder either you dropped it or the Se doesn't have it.

Oh so with the 1.28% difference is actually very small ? sorry for asking but i am new to this.

[Edited by GXE2K on 05-08-2001 at 07:23 PM]
Perhaps it's the piece that keeps dirt from entering through the hole in the gas cap area, filling it with dirt and gunk?

·
Not your parent(s)
3,291 Posts
remember when going to +1 and +2 tire/rim sizes, you stand to lose hp. matter of fact, turbo magazine recently did a test of going from a 14" to a 17" tire and showed a 3-5 hp loss. just a tidbit. matter of fact if i recall, it was 1.25" difference.

·
Registered
2,398 Posts
I'm guessin that 215/40/17 are fine for SEs?

What if I have it dropped 1.5 inches?

I was told by an admirer... to drop it 1.5 inches, change to 40/17s (didnt mention the width) and then the bodykit should look awesome on it, because the gap between the top of the car and the car should be much smaller. As I'm sure everyone can tell, the Sentra SE w/16s have an inch higher clearance than most cars and a lot is in that gap between the tire and car.

Wanna maximize without creating rubbing problems...
Any suggestions?

·
Registered
3,122 Posts
Alex when comparing the size next to the stock tire you'll notice they are very close,,,so when you lower it,,,it shouldn't rub.....

1 - 10 of 10 Posts