·
Registered
2,082 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
For my M3

Headunit has to be Alpine.
6.5" components have to be MB Quarts.
Amp for components/sub.

I figure, i dont really need rear speakers. Just a sub in the back for rear fill. A 12" JL Should do.

Price Limit, 1200

Can someone help me out? Im a noob when it comes to audio. Id rather be rebuilding my engine than trying to figure this **** out.

·
Registered
4,108 Posts
Why waste your money, greg?

Get a nice headunit, and replace your speakers. That's all you need.

·
Registered
2,368 Posts
LOL you basically built it yourself. The only thing you left out was what kind of amp.
Anyways, other things are important too, such as what type of music you listen to, and if trunk space is an issue.
Provide those, and ill tell you what I would buy.

·
Registered
2,082 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
**** it, im tired of ****ty sounding audio. I cant even turn my **** up without having it screech and ****. My 9 year old nokia speakers gotta go. I need some music :D

Im bidding on a headunit on ebay, but it doesent have a built in amp.....just outputs.

Alpine CDA-7995

·
Registered
2,082 Posts
Discussion Starter #5 (Edited)
SpeC-V_Freak said:
LOL you basically built it yourself. The only thing you left out was what kind of amp.
Anyways, other things are important too, such as what type of music you listen to, and if trunk space is an issue.
Provide those, and ill tell you what I would buy.

Im bidding on a CDA-7995

Trunk space, i dont care. Amps, whatever gets the job done. Nothing cheap that will end up breaking soon.
Music, everything except country, jazz and ****.

Rap, Classic Rock, Techno, Dance in no particular order.

I was just planning on front speakers and a sub in the rear. Do you think rear speakers are needed?

·
King of OT
5,210 Posts
No, rear speakers aren't necessary. I just have focals in the front right now and not even any sub, and it's more than enough for me, but I will get a sub eventually just for the bottom end.

·
Registered
46 Posts
Hate to break it to ya man, but quart is expensive stuff.. i don't think you will find a good 4 channel amp to run the speakers and a sub! You need some serious power if you want it to sound decent.

·
Registered
693 Posts
alpine 7995 HU~$200-300(I also have this HU)
Zapco I Series amp-$160.... 2x100 @ 4ohm (on ebay)
MB quart premium series(PCE 216) 6.5 comp set ~$250 (on ebay)

Not sure on sub pricing but approx. $350 for a JL w6v2 on ebay.

so thats 710 with out a sub amp and box or install.

edit-Zapco amps are very nice or atleast there upper line stuff is but i dont imagine there lower end amps are not good or anything.

·
Registered
4,958 Posts
You might want to look at image dynamics idq12dXv.2 sub, affordable, and from everything I've read, they sound good.

From there, source out a JBL monoblock that fits the power requirements.

·
Registered
2,368 Posts
lawngn0mex said:
You might want to look at image dynamics idq12dXv.2 sub, affordable, and from everything I've read, they sound good.

From there, source out a JBL monoblock that fits the power requirements.
Agreed. Pick up a JBL 1200.1 for some good sub power and drive a Diamond Audio M6 with it in a small (.7cf) sealed enclosure. You've got serious problems if you're dissappointed in that.

IF your components must be MB's, pick up the RCE-216's. Best bang for the buck in the Quart lineup IMO. Then get an avionixx or similar amp to drive them. If its anywhere in your system you want a good amp its for the components.

·
Registered
4,958 Posts
SpeC-V_Freak said:
Agreed. Pick up a JBL 1200.1 for some good sub power and drive a Diamond Audio M6 with it in a small (.7cf) sealed enclosure. You've got serious problems if you're dissappointed in that.

IF your components must be MB's, pick up the RCE-216's. Best bang for the buck in the Quart lineup IMO. Then get an avionixx or similar amp to drive them. If its anywhere in your system you want a good amp its for the components.
The amp is probably overkill for that sub... a 600.1 will do fine.

·
Registered
2,368 Posts
If you go by what its rated at (800 RMS I think) you'd think. In a small sealed enclosure that sub will eat 1500RMS+ alive.
He would gain 3db by going with that amp for a few extra dollars, with no noticable loss in SQ, and have overhead to work with.

Side note: I'm becoming a fan of extreme overpowering of subs. I'm finding more and more that most even decent subs are sorely underrated. It's done intentionally, because the 17 y/o who buys an amp/sub, (sub rated for 500, amp rated to put out 500) and crack the gain all the way up blows a sub that would have been otherwise fine when driven properly. I drove one O series sub (650 RMS) in a 1.5 cf enclosure with the same amp I was origianlly driving two of them with, (tantrum 1200.1 benched at 1454 RMS) and was surprised to find that notonly did I lose hardly any SPL, the SQ was much better. Food for thought.

·
Registered
4,958 Posts
agreed on having more power, than needed, if you have the cash. The 1200.1 might put the whole thing out of pricepoint.

besides, the 12" IDQ only wants 350w RMS rated... I'm sure the 600.1 would satisfy that :D

·
Registered
2,368 Posts
DevlynSyde said:
Says he who is one of the mentioned? :)
LOL no ****. He's alreadey trying to jew me into installing his system that he doesent have yet.

·
Banned
3,486 Posts
DevlynSyde said:
Says he who is one of the mentioned? :)
and no, I had 2 400w subs powered by a 800w amp for close to 3 years with no problem so :p... I just hate when age is matched with stupidity, cuz honestly, there could be some REALLY SHORT 24 yr old that does the same ****en thing...

·
Registered
2,368 Posts
5'7" isint that short.
Geez.

1 - 20 of 25 Posts