B15 Sentra Forum banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
484 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I pulled my plugs today and one of them had oil on it. It seemed to be on the threads. Im praying to god its a valve cover seal. Also, i looked at each of the pistons with a flash light and they have black carbon deposit on them but they also have little dots where u can see the piston and some parts are brownish. Does this mean im detonating!? Now, im gonna replace the gaskets but how do i clean the oil that in the threads of the spark plug chamber? :sigh: cant i ever catch a break..............

·
Registered
804 Posts
Oil on the plug threads (only) is not a potential engine problem, it is an external oil leak that is getting onto the outside of the plug. The different coefficient of expansion between the aluminum cylinder head and steel plug jacket allows oil to seep down onto the treads, but it cannot get into the engine. So if is only on the treads, you are fine, it is oil leak.................

·
2busy4b15/but watch it
11,651 Posts
JFP in PA said:
Oil on the plug threads (only) is not a potential engine problem, it is an external oil leak that is getting onto the outside of the plug. The different coefficient of expansion between the aluminum cylinder head and steel plug jacket allows oil to seep down onto the treads, but it cannot get into the engine. So if is only on the treads, you are fine, it is oil leak.................
hmm. didnt even SPARK a thought on me that he said threads :D

Its fairly common practice to use oil on threads of sparkplugs.. Maybe its something along that lines ;)

·
Registered
484 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Well, all of the other spark plugs are dry. I pulled the spark plug wire on the one that had oil on it this morning so i could see it in that day time and it seems like its leaking where the valve cover and the spark plug chamber meet. I guess its the seal? A local shop gave me 2 of the seals from a rwd valve cover. Does anyone know if it is the same as fwd?

·
Registered
1 Posts
Well, all of the other spark plugs are dry. I pulled the spark plug wire on the one that had oil on it this morning so i could see it in that day time and it seems like its leaking where the valve cover and the spark plug chamber meet. I guess its the seal? A local shop gave me 2 of the seals from a rwd valve cover. Does anyone know if it is the same as fwd?
Its probably from an altima but they use the same engine so you shouldn't have any problems

1 - 9 of 9 Posts