B15 Sentra Forum banner

1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
81 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
On my first oil change (Spec V), I didn't know what oil to use, so I called the service department of the dealership where I purchased my car (Empire Nissan in Ontario, CA), and they told me to use 5W-30. Ever since then I've been using 5W-30 for all of my oil changes. Now, 15,500 miles later on Mobil 1, I come across a few posts and notice that everyone I read about is using 10W-30. Should I be using 10W or is my 5W safe?? Also, since I don't know much about it, what's the difference between the 10W and 5W??

Thanks,
Mark.

·
El Burro
4,272 Posts
the 10w and 5w means the viscosity of the oil when its cold.

I used to use 10w30 in the summer and 5w30 in the winter, but now I just switched to 5w30 year round. You shouldn't have the problem of using it year round because you're in cali. Oh and I use mobile1 synthetic.

·
Registered
81 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Thanks, your input is greatly appreciated. Any other comments, anybody?

Thanks,
Mark.

·
Registered
2,871 Posts
Depends on
1)how hard you run your engine.
2)How cold doesn't Victorville get an night in the winter? and do you park outside

If you don't run your engine super hard all the time 5W30 and even 0W30 is fine and you will get more power since the oil is less viscous. If you run your engine hard that 10W30 is more like it or even 15W30..the thicker oil will give better protection and lubrication.

For temps, if it gets cold in Victorville (desert nights get COLD) and you park outside, then stay w/ the 5W30 so the oil doens't get too thick when you go to start the car.

That's about it

·