B15 Sentra Forum banner
1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
250 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hello, all.

As I was rather close to the end of the 1000 mile break-in period on my '01 SE, I attempted my first oil and filter change on the vehicle a few days ago.

After draining the oil, I attempted to remove the filter, only to find that the factory-installed filter (Part# 15208-65F01) is an oddball size that is slightly too small to be unscrewed using a capwrench. The intended replacement filter (Part# 15208-65F00) is the same one used in my '95 200SX SE-R, and *does* fit the capwrench perfectly.

As I was unable to work the factory filter loose with either the capwrench or by hand, I filled the engine with new oil without replacing the filter. A quick phone call to the service department of the dealer revealed that the -65F01 only came from the factory and that all in-service replacements use the -65F00. The tech rep also told me that the only way to safely remove a -65F01 was to wrap a piece of cloth over the filter and then jam the capwrench over it.

D'oh!! Why didn't I think of that???

Anyway, my question to you guys is, can I safely remove the oil filter from the SR20DE block *without* first draining the oil? In other words, if I unscrew the filter, am I going to end up with 3+ quarts of engine oil on the garage floor?

Thanks in advance!

DL

·
Al, The Ignorant Fcuk
9,081 Posts
Yes..

You can remove the filter without draining the oil. Some oil will drip out because the filter should stay full because of the anti-drainback valve. (8 oz.) Be ready with some paper towels.

·
Registered
250 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Re: Yes..

adc100 said:
You can remove the filter without draining the oil. Some oil will drip out because the filter should stay full because of the anti-drainback valve. (8 oz.) Be ready with some paper towels.
Thanks for the heads-up, adc100. I finished changing the filter about an hour ago, and you were spot-on about the oil remaining in the filter. I had paper towels ready and newspaper lining the garage floor, but most of the oil in the filter ended up dribbling down my right forearm and into the shirtsleeve as I unscrewed the filter. The result: one completely ruined "Today's Weather SUCKS!" t-shirt and me smelling like Mobil 1 for the next few days (despite a shower after the drenching).

The next time I remove the filter, I'm going to position a small funnel under the seal with a short length of tubing running from the funnel to the drain pan, in order to capture the oil from the filter. I think there's enough space under the filter for this. No more ruined shirts for me!

DL

·
Al, The Ignorant Fcuk
9,081 Posts
Glad you made out O.K...

Forgot to mention about the shirt though. I'll remember next time!!:D
Oh .. and glad to see you are using Mobil 1. You won't regret it. :)

Later,
Al

·
Registered
142 Posts
Yes, oil down my arm happened to me too... But next time I managed to position myself so that I unscrew filter with my hand above the filter... If you unscrew it very carefully, then you can even manage to take it down in the same horizontal position w/o spilling any oil... If you don't tip it, oil won't spill since its not really full, only 1/2- 3/4

1 - 5 of 5 Posts