B15 Sentra Forum banner

1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
1,392 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I've been using conventional oil since I purchased my car (last year). I recently (1000kms ago) changed to synthetic 5W30 oil. I check my oil level periodically and noticed yesterday that my level went down about a 1/4-1/3 litre. Is this normal? I understand during my break-in period my level went down about 1/2 litre...but that was when I had about 3000-4000kms on the odometer. I now have about 20,000kms. Does the engine go through a "secondary" break-in period when changing to synthetic oil? Does synthetic oil have a tendency to burn more often than dino oil? :confused:

·
Canyon junkie! ( ^o^) <3
4,332 Posts
Yes. It's a little more slippery & will lose a little during the first few changes. Then it slows down. When I changed from Dino oil to synthetic at 33,750 miles, I lost about 3/4 of a quart during the first change. Then it slowed down. I always lose about 1/4 to 1/2 of a quart every 3,750 miles, which is quite normal. Some people don't lose any. Some people lose some slightly.

Just keep monitoring it.

·
Registered
1,392 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Thanks...^^^ I figured intially this would happen. I sure hope it all the internals eventually function properly and take well to the oil switch.

·
Al, The Ignorant Fcuk
9,081 Posts
SR20DE_MAN said:
Yes. It's a little more slippery & will lose a little during the first few changes. Then it slows down. When I changed from Dino oil to synthetic at 33,750 miles, I lost about 3/4 of a quart during the first change. Then it slowed down. I always lose about 1/4 to 1/2 of a quart every 3,750 miles, which is quite normal. Some people don't lose any. Some people lose some slightly.

Just keep monitoring it.
Well-I personally have never seen that happen and I have switched at least 8 cars over to synthetic. But who knows.

·
Registered
1,392 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
bump...bump.

Anybody else want to donate their 2 cents in this thread? Anybody?

·
Lebowski Urban Achiever
275 Posts
SilverBullit said:
bump...bump.

Anybody else want to donate their 2 cents in this thread? Anybody?

Do you drive the car hard? This will chew up some oil and that's normal. Any visible leak spots under the car? Have you inspected the engine to look for any leaking seals? Have a friend follow you one day. Accelerate hard and then let off the gas and have your friend look for bluw smoke. Doing these things might at least give you an idea where the oil is going.

FWIW, I've been using synthetic since day one in my SE. I switched my wife's Saturn over to syn from dino at 25K miles. No oil loss yet for her and I lose about 1/2 a qt between 5K mile oil changes.

·
Registered
1,392 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
McGarrett said:
Do you drive the car hard? This will chew up some oil and that's normal. Any visible leak spots under the car? Have you inspected the engine to look for any leaking seals? Have a friend follow you one day. Accelerate hard and then let off the gas and have your friend look for bluw smoke. Doing these things might at least give you an idea where the oil is going.
Yes, I do tend to drive hard now and again. :D I haven't really checked for oil leaks below or above the engine. Nothing visible (oil spots) on the driveway either. I believe SR20DE_MAN made a reasonable point with the fact that synthetic has superior flowing properties and can find it's way through tiny gaps and clearances on the internals. My guess would be that the rings and seals have opened up and become more loose. At first this would cause some oil seeping through which would result in some burning. I'll keep and eye on it. I highly doubt I have a serious problem on my hands. It's still somewhat new and probably on it's final stage of "breaking in".

McGarrett said:
FWIW, I've been using synthetic since day one in my SE. I switched my wife's Saturn over to syn from dino at 25K miles. No oil loss yet for her and I lose about 1/2 a qt between 5K mile oil changes.

·
El Greco
2,296 Posts
I check the oil frequently, and it seems the engine does not burn the slightest amount of oil. After 3-4000mi, the mark on the dipstick is at the exact same spot it was when I filled it.

·
Vibrant Blue Navy
773 Posts
mine burns a little oil and always has...about 1/4 - 1/2 a quart is how much i typically end up adding in between oil changes. What is funny is that it has done so for a long time, but not right away. For like the first 2Kmiles it is absolutely fine, and then after that it loses it more quickly. It also loses more on long length freeway trips. My car has 33K miles on it now. I just check it and when it gets to the bottom of the cross-hatch i add about a 1/4 quart to get it back in there. Anyone know what quantity of oil is indicated on the cross-hatch? In other words, when your level drops to the bottom of the cross-hatch how much is that?

·
Registered
304 Posts
mikeynavy1 said:
mine burns a little oil and always has...about 1/4 - 1/2 a quart is how much i typically end up adding in between oil changes. What is funny is that it has done so for a long time, but not right away. For like the first 2Kmiles it is absolutely fine, and then after that it loses it more quickly. It also loses more on long length freeway trips. My car has 33K miles on it now. I just check it and when it gets to the bottom of the cross-hatch i add about a 1/4 quart to get it back in there. Anyone know what quantity of oil is indicated on the cross-hatch? In other words, when your level drops to the bottom of the cross-hatch how much is that?
you need 1 qt to fill to the F mark.

·
Registered
83 Posts
For those who are burning oil with a little higher mileage 25,000 and higher, don't forget to look at the PCV valve. When that malfunctions you will start burning oil, as it gets sucked up into the intake manifold. Had that happen later this summer and verified everything when I installed the Hondata gasket. The PCV valve runs about 6 bucks at a Nissan stealership.

1 - 13 of 13 Posts