B15 Sentra Forum banner

1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
605 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
So far the insurance adjustor has quoted me $11,300 in damages; not including the engine. He is going to have my mechanic take apart the engine bay to see exactly what needs to be replaced. I thought that is considered a total, but he informed me that the damage has to be at least $0.01 over the worth of the car. It's some new law that florida passed; instead of the 50% damage/worth of car law.

Does anyone know if my insurance rate rises proportinate on the amount of damage I caused? In other words, will my insurance go up more if I caused $10,000 worth of damage or $1000 worth of damage? Or does it just go up depending on my traffic ticket? Using allstate.

------------------
SR20DE..Sorry Si guys.

M

·
0 Posts
That is one stupid *** law. Dude, you wouldn't want that car back if it has nearly 12K in damages. It would never be the same.

Who knows about the insurance. I don't think they can raise your rates more depending on the dollar value of the claim. An accident is an accident. Maybe if you killed someone.....but then they'd cancel you for sure.

------------------
2001 SE, P/P, 5 spd. Cloud White.
MODS:
- AEBS 4-1 Header
- Stromung Stainless Cat-back.
- Place Racing CAI (2 weeks and counting)
- Stillen Front Spoiler

·
Registered Loser
6,883 Posts
That sounds completely ridiculous. How many of you people have calculated how much insurance you have paid all of your life? Now that is interesting. :(

------------------
Marvin
-2000 Sentra SE w/Performance Package, Sunroof, 5 Spd, Avalanche
Current mods: Gas Cap Holder, Stromung Cat-Back Exhaust System, Place Racing Cold Air Intake
Future mods:Unorthodox Racing Pulleys, Window Tint
-Previous Owner 1995 Sentra GXE, w/mods, Auto, Maroon

·
Registered
623 Posts
hey dood, does ur insurance cover rentals? if so, just keep on with rental. and when they r done with the car, just bring it back, say this dont feel right, blah blah blah...

and with ur insurance, if its ur fault. ur rates will deff go up.
also, how abou the other guy?

·
Registered
605 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Why is a car totalled after traveling only 30 miles per hour? Everything was bent up and broken; do I really want another one if a 30mph crash can do this much damage to the car?

------------------
SR20DE..Sorry Si guys.

·
Registered
297 Posts
damn, eventhough it might not seem like much, a 30mph crash is actually a huge amount of force being applied to the car, I got in a 10-15mph crash and nothing happened to my car that was that bad, only a slightly dented hood and bumper, I am getting CF hood and my bumper fixed and customized. maybe like 400 bucks of damage. The force being applied to the car actually multiplie up not adds up with amount of miles per hour, so a 30mph crash is actually 60 times stronger on the car rather than a 10mph crash, it's something close to that the real numbers, it's all physics, I can tell you after I take physics 2 this summer what that number is. heheh, I am really sorry about your car, I'm glad you an everyone is ok ;)

------------------
formerly known as JCGator42, 2k1 Nissan Sentra SE w/PP mods: Custom Aluminum Mesh Front Grille by Myself, Cold Air Intake by Hotshot, and Stromung Cat-Back Exhaust, and Unorthodox Underdrive 4 pulley set(in less than 2 weeks) [email protected]

·
Registered
605 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
JC, you're back? Hope you're doing good on dem finals! BTW, what year are you in? I am going to be in UF for Summer B. If anything, we can meet up sometime.

------------------
SR20DE..Sorry Si guys.

·
Registered
100 Posts
If I'm not totally forgetting my physics, I believe that the kinetic energy (KE) increases exponentially as a function of the velocity (V). KE=M(V)2, where M=mass, and the 2 is actually an indicator to square the velocity. So, comparing a 15 mile an hour crash to a 30, the force is pretty damn high. Plus, the car is designed with crush zones a la race cars. The hood buckles instead of coming back at you guillotine-style, the engine dives under the firewall instead of landing in your lap, the front end collapses to absorb energy. This is because the cabin area is built essentially like a rollcage to protect occupants. Some energy absorption has to occur somewhere, or your body will have to deal with the energy traveling through.

Sorry to hear that the car is not considered a total this point, sure sounds as though it should.

Just as a side note, both my friend (drives an XE) and myself nearly got our new (less than a year) cars munched yesterday due to unsafe driving of various humanoids operating something clearly beyond their capacity. Everyone please be cautious. Not sure if it's spring fever, or the weather we're getting or what, but April is definitely NOT sentra month.

------------------
Waiting for PR CAI, got the Stromung, got the Unorthodox, got a big fat empty "0" in my bank...:)

·
Registered
78 Posts
Yep, just a week after I got my car, some old lady in a pickup rams into the back of it trying to pull out of a parking spot. It's like people are attracted to Sentra's in the wrong way.

------------------
Charles

2001 Sentra SE, P/P, 5spd, Inferno with HyperWhite headlights and fogs.

PR CAI on the way, looking into Stromung Exhaust

·
Registered
78 Posts
also, sorry about your car man, that really sucks

------------------
Charles

2001 Sentra SE, P/P, 5spd, Inferno with HyperWhite headlights and fogs.

PR CAI on the way, looking into Stromung Exhaust

·
Registered
297 Posts
Hey wassup it's Juan, yeah I will be here all summer taking summer C classes. I know it sucks, but I failed Calculus 3 and I gotta retake it this summer along with Physics 1 and CIS3020. Call me at (352)271-3801 when you get a chance, or when you get up here, I'll be glad to show you around if you don't already know your way around. Yeah finals are coming up in less than 3 weeks, ok I gotta get back to studying, e-mail me or private message me back. Damn sorry about the car, but yeah Sentra's are having really bad luck, I am getting mine fixed in 4 weeks. only like 400 bucks of damage though :(

------------------
formerly known as JCGator42, 2k1 Nissan Sentra SE w/PP mods: Custom Aluminum Mesh Front Grille by Myself, Cold Air Intake by Hotshot, and Stromung Cat-Back Exhaust, and Unorthodox Underdrive 4 pulley set(in less than 2 weeks) [email protected]

·
Registered
300 Posts
in IL it has to have more than 75% of cars worth of damage

------------------
94 XE 2 door 5 speed, Tenzo-R intake,

·
Registered
0 Posts
I feel your pain. I was hit by a semi truck in the Winter of 1999. Dude rear ended my car and did 4,000 in damage. He rolled off the road, though. no one was hurt but my baby. How I got away with 4,000 from a semi, and you got screwed, who knows.

------------------
yer' mom drives Chevy.

1 - 13 of 13 Posts