B15 Sentra Forum banner
1 - 20 of 43 Posts

·
JCC
1,129 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hey does anyone know if I am going to put 50hp nitrous on the car, if anything else needs to be modded? I read in the Zex instrustions that something with the spark plugs that might need to be replaced. Has anyone put nitrous on an sr20de? please let me know cuz I dont want to blow up another engine.

·
Registered
24 Posts
I ran a 50hp shot back in the day on my ga16de. The thing with the plugs is some people put in 1 degree colder plugs in. I did that and also ran 93 octane fuel and retarded the timing by 1 degree. All to prevent detonation. I ran this all day long and right at take off. I had an automatic. Just remember all of this is optional but if you were gonna run anymore, say a 80-100 shot, you should highly consider it. I say at the least run the 93 octane fuel.

For reference, my ga16de had over 100k on it.

------------------
2001 Infinti G20t
http://www.foreignimages.cjb.net

·
JCC
1,129 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
cool thanks, to whomever put the se-r.net link, I am pretty sure everyone in here has read that article and knows it by memory now, or maybe just me. I just wanted to hear some feedback from others. yes I will be changing to the 1 step colder plugs from NGK, but I will not retard the timing since it is stock (probably 10 degrees)and even with a JWT ECU and nitrous you can safely have the timing at 15 degrees. so I will advance my timing to 15 degrees and put the new plugs in, as well as a PR CAI and Unorthodox Pulley Set(all 4 pulleys). I will let you know how well the car does at Moroso Motorsports Park next wednesday when I run the car. I already use 93 octane gas since day one but thanks anyways guys.

G

·
The stock ignition timing on the B15 Sr20de is 15 degree's if memory serves. I believe the previous generation models were set to 13 degrees. 10 would be way out of whack.

------------------
2001 SE, P/P, 5 spd Cloud White.
MODS:
------
- Stromung Stainless Cat-back. (It was here, but now it's gone...but it will be back soon!!)
- Hotshot CAI (At The Coaters.)
Click HERE To Visit My Website!

·
JCC
1,129 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
really? I read that se-r article from mike kojima and he said that it varies from 8-13 degrees or something like that, if someone could tell me the stock range of timing on the b15's I would greatly appreciate it. What turbo kit should I go for? I need a kit that can support about 700hp, any ideas? I have a custom kit available to me for 3600 that includes everything (intercooler, piping, t3/t04 hybrid turbo, injectors, fuel pump, manifold, JWT ECU, blow off valves, etc etc), all the parts are valued at 4500. So I think I am going to go with that one unless I can get sponsored by Greddy or JWT or maybe even JUN and go with them. I will look up more on Sponsoring this summer when I will have like 7k to spend on my Sentra.

·
JCC
1,129 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
hey I have $1k to spend on my sentra now, what should I go for? I was thinking CAI, pulleys(all 4) and nitrous(ZEX). I am not doing headers since I am going turbo soon, but any suggestions would really help guys. thanks

·
Registered
747 Posts
All of you nitrous people and what not make my sentra jealous
-- JK!

------------------
2001 Black Sentra SE with Performance Package, JWT pop cone intake, neon ground effects, clear turn signal bulbs

·
Registered
747 Posts
How much does this nitrous system cost? Got link?

------------------
2001 Black Sentra SE with Performance Package, JWT pop cone intake, neon ground effects, clear turn signal bulbs

·
Registered
124 Posts
Why bother with the nitrous if you're going turbo?

------------------
Ryan 97 Black SE-R
aim Stea1th727

·
JCC
1,129 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
yeah thanks SE-R thats what I am telling all my friends cuz I can save the 499 special price am getting on the Zex kit and hold it towards the turbo kit, but I will not have 3600 until mid summer and they all want me to get into the 14s now. damnit I am so confused, and thanks for yor opinion I need more opinions to sway my decision. I can work out a really good deal if I can get like 5 or more people to get the Zex kits. maybe like 450 or less for the kit which is adjustable to 50,65,75hp shots. later and thanks

·
JCC
1,129 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
I do not suggest getting a NOS or Nitrous Express system since they are not computer controlled, if the Zex or Venom kit notices something is wrong, it stops the flow of nitrous, you can easily blow your engine with a NOS kit, unless you have a JWT ECU with their nitrous controller but I am assuming most b15 owners don't, plus I can get the Zex kit for cheaper than a NOS kit if you guys want I can tell you the guys e-mail

·
I am a mother****er
675 Posts
the timing on my B15 was at 15. Also, JWT doesn't make an ECU for B15, hell they haven't even gotten to the 98-99's!later

------------------
Avalanche 2000 Sentra SE/PP, JWT POP, Advanced Timing @ 17 deg.,205/50ZR16 Bridgestone Potenza RE730s, and coming soon...Stromung midpipe and custom rear section w/Apex i muffler

·
JCC
1,129 Posts
Discussion Starter · #15 ·
yes I know they dont make ECU's for our exact models yet, but 1997 ECU's have been used in B15's and work fine, ask the guys with the SEMA project turbo and they'll tell ya it works great.

·
Registered
1,373 Posts
Hey JC, sure a 97 will work beautifully but most people here wouldnt wanna hack up their wiring. Also, 700hp is a lofty goal...what exhaust manifold are you gonna be using?

------------------
*Josh*
*myb15*

G

·
I don't think an average joe could even do the 1997 ECU swap. YOu have to remember that there are a TON of wires going into the ECU, and unless every single wire is in the correct spot...it won't work. You would have to have an intimate knowledge of where each wire goes to before you could even consider creating a new wiring harness to attach to the 1997 ECU. You might call JWT to get a better idea of what is involved.

That Zex kit is supposed to be pretty good. The problem with it is that it's a wet system. because there is only 1 nozzle that supplies the Nos, each cylinder *may* not receive the same amount. This can create a lean condition in 1 or 2 cylinders that won't be detected by their little computer. The dry system that injects the Nos into each cylinder individually is safer. However, there are many happy Zex owners, so who knows.

------------------
MODS:
------
- Stromung Stainless Cat-back. (It was here, but now it's gone...but it will be back soon!!)

·
JCC
1,129 Posts
Discussion Starter · #18 ·
yeah guys don't worry about the ECU, I won't be doing it myself, I will leave it up to JWT, JUN, or Greddy to do that themselves. yeah thanks for the info I heard something like that about wet systems but wasn't sure. hmmm, the thing is that NOS w/o ECU with my kind of driving is not safe....heheh. plus in turbo and scc magazines they gave the zex kit awesome reviews, plus a 499 tag for everything is pretty good in my books. I really want to get the Venom kit but my best price so far is $1250, but that kit has all kinds of monitors and is computer controlles can be tuned from ones PC. I am trying to get a sponsorship from venom or Zex and see what's up, but what do you guys think? is nitrous cheating or not? Are you guys not happy that hopefully soon enough the fastest sentra in the world will be part of our forums(heheh). I am doing an intership for sure this summer and I will be making about 5 thousand or more, plus I am making 2k next week. so the funds are coming in. Is spending money on nitrous a waste of money if am doing turbo in a couple of months? thanks guys please reply, Juan

·
JCC
1,129 Posts
Discussion Starter · #19 ·
the exhaust manifold is a custom one included in the kit I will be getting. the only thing extra is the water injection kit which I think they are giving it to me for 175 bucks. I read something somewhere about something with the timing having to be changed with water injection, anyone see that article? please post the URL if you know it, thanks

G

·
There is a guy here locally that runs a Twin Turbo Supra with Nitrous. Well, *ran* it. It blew up on the dyno about two weeks ago. He put a piston through the side of the crankcase. From what I understand it was kinda loud! He was making about 550 rear wheel HP before the motor grenaded.

If your planning on doing the turbo, I don't see why you'd spend all the money on Nitrous now. Your just gonna have to sell it once the turbo is on. You'd be better off spending an additional $500 bucks on the turbo setup.

Have you factored in all the motor work costs aswell? I know the Sema car had a lot of bottom end strengthening done, in addition to head port work. That stuff isn't cheap. Not to mention the Sema car will *only* be making like 300 wheel HP.

It's nice to have goals, but you have to remember that the more stressed the engine is, the less reliable it will be. I am going to guess that the Sentra is your daily driver. I am also going to assume that it is your only car. I think you need to take into account what type of driving your going to be doing with the car, and remember that you NEED the car to run reliably. What good is a car that doesn't run?

The guy with the Supra is a perfect example. He put thousands into the motor, and now has to buy a new one. All his money went down the drain. When a high HP motor blows, it is not a small (or cheap) event. He has the top piece of a connecting rod that came through the motor to prove it.

Ask yourself these questions. How long do you expect the engine to last before a rebuild? Do you have the money to completely rebuild the engine if it breaks? Do you have an alternate means of transportation to use while the turbo is being built? Do you have money for dyno tuning to get it working right? Are you comfortable with having no manufactures warranty for the remainder of the time you own the car?

I wish you the best on the turbo build-up, but I'd hate to see you put yourself in a bad situation. It happens all the time.

------------------
MODS:
------

1 - 20 of 43 Posts