B15 Sentra Forum banner

1 - 20 of 20 Posts

·
D-town's Finest
1,128 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
This may be a dumb question, but I know that the Nismo S-Tune suspension says that It lowers the front 1" and the rear by .5", but is this from stock Spec V height or any stock b15 height? (mainly curious as to if the sepc v suspension is already lower than the gxe/xe suspension, and if so, how much lower?) Thanks!

·
300+whp
3,418 Posts
chimmike said:
spec v suspension isn't lower than gxe suspension stock.
I always thought it was... The spec has completely different springs which I thought were alot firmer and a tiny hair shorter, thus the more aggressive look. But I could be wrong lol :D

·
Registered Loser
6,883 Posts
qdoan said:
This may be a dumb question, but I know that the Nismo S-Tune suspension says that It lowers the front 1" and the rear by .5", but is this from stock Spec V height or any stock b15 height? (mainly curious as to if the sepc v suspension is already lower than the gxe/xe suspension, and if so, how much lower?) Thanks!
You should be good to go because all the B15 models can use the same suspension and I've never noticed it being different as far as ride height. The Spec V appears to be lower because it comes with 17's stock.

·
Theory freak learning...
3,920 Posts
chimmike said:
spec v suspension isn't lower than gxe suspension stock.
Well my friend work in a dealership and he got stock brand new 1.8S and Spec-V side-by-side on the same ground and the Spec-V is lower... not by much by still lower and you can clearly see the roof of the 1.8S taller.

And the Nismo suspension drop of 20mm (0.8") front and 15mm (0.6") rear.

·
D-town's Finest
1,128 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Thanks, I know all the suspension parts were interchangable on all the B15s, just wanted to see if the TRUE drop on a GXE would be the nismo stated drop 1"/.6" or a bit lower.

·
Registered
1,523 Posts
I could be wrong but last time I recall, specV struts are just a little bit shorter front and rear, cause I switched springs with my friend who has specV a while back

·
Immature Tough Guy
5,671 Posts
angel2167882 said:
And the Nismo suspension drop of 20mm (0.8") front and 15mm (0.6") rear.
Maybe it's different in Canada, but I have confirmed at my local dealer and multiple online retailers here in the States that the S-tune kit drops 25mm front and 15mm rear:

http://www.performancenissanparts.com/catalog/product_info.php?cPath=150_421_512_547&products_id=69

http://www.nissanperformance.net/cgi-bin/shopper.cgi?key=NSEN1007&preadd=action

http://www.courtesyparts.com/Mercha...n=PROD&Store_Code=CP&Product_Code=5300S-RSB50

·
Registered Loser
6,883 Posts
qdoan said:
Thanks, I know all the suspension parts were interchangable on all the B15s, just wanted to see if the TRUE drop on a GXE would be the nismo stated drop 1"/.6" or a bit lower.
Not sure why it really matters? Do you like the ride height of a Spec V? Do you like the ride height of a B15 with NISMO suspension? That's the answer I'm looking for. I've seen the NISMO suspension up close and I think the ride height is nice, so that would make it installed on a GXE that much nicer. :)

·
Immature Tough Guy
5,671 Posts
Let's look at the numbers. First, curb weight, I think your GXE is probably 100-150lbs lighter than a typical SpecV, so the drop will be ever so slightly less than a QR25 B15. Also, higher spring rates on a lighter car will have better handling, my 2700lb SE-R has 180F/300 Eibach prokits while Tony's 2100lb Si has 400F/500R ground controls. His car is easily 1-2 seconds faster around a typical 40 second autox course.

Second is spring rates. Let's look at the now famous spring rate chart originally posted by chickracer (Sarah Forst of NPM) back in March of 2003:

The Nismo S-tune kit has 185F/300R rates. You currently have 123F/190R stock springs, compared to the specV which has 154F/247R. That means the S-tune kit will increase your spring rates 34%F/37%R versus the specV increase of 17%F/18%R. That's literally twice the rate increase compared to your heavier sibling.

So there you have it, the numbers show that this S-tune kit will definitely have positive effects on your handling. Oh, and as for the drop, you won't drop as low as a spec, and chances are you'll be dissapointed at the new ride height. If you want a slammed ride (i.e. more than 1.5") give the Tein Basic a look.

·
D-town's Finest
1,128 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
Thanks.. exactly what I was looking for.. I don't want the car to be that much lower..1" all around MAX. Just wanted better handling without the absurd drop where my car would bottom out 24/7

·
Registered Loser
6,883 Posts
qdoan said:
Thanks.. exactly what I was looking for.. I don't want the car to be that much lower..1" all around MAX. Just wanted better handling without the absurd drop where my car would bottom out 24/7
Just to make sure you understand, it wouldn't matter if you had a GXE or a Spec V with NISMO suspension, the suspension travel will be the SAME. Bottoming out would probably happen with ****ty springs when you lower the suspension travel without properly increasing the spring rate. Just wanted to clarify suspension travel vs. ride height with the NISMO setup. :)

·
D-town's Finest
1,128 Posts
Discussion Starter · #15 ·
Gotcha. Thanks sir!

·
Theory freak learning...
3,920 Posts
Dangling Fury said:
Maybe it's different in Canada, but I have confirmed at my local dealer and multiple online retailers here in the States that the S-tune kit drops 25mm front and 15mm rear
Huh... we don't have Nismo in Canada yet and the info I got come from directly off the Nissan USA website :confused: (www.nissanusa.com/nismo)

But anyway, I won't bother me for 5mm more or less :p

·
Immature Tough Guy
5,671 Posts
angel2167882 said:
Huh... we don't have Nismo in Canada yet and the info I got come from directly off the Nissan USA website :confused: (www.nissanusa.com/nismo)

But anyway, I won't bother me for 5mm more or less :p
Yeah that is weird, then again, Nissan USA claimed 10hp from the SpecV exhaust system, and once again, this is challenged by my dealer when he shows the SAME part number for the SE-R and SpecV exhaust (and ecu too) in his parts system.

·
Theory freak learning...
3,920 Posts
Dangling Fury said:
Yeah that is weird, then again, Nissan USA claimed 10hp from the SpecV exhaust system, and once again, this is challenged by my dealer when he shows the SAME part number for the SE-R and SpecV exhaust (and ecu too) in his parts system.
This is old news man... we all know that the difference between SE-R and Spec-V is on the intake box... air inlet on the Spec-V is twice larger than the SE-R so there is more air that can enter. For the ECM, part number might be the same but the firmware to install is not.

·
Immature Tough Guy
5,671 Posts
angel2167882 said:
This is old news man... we all know that the difference between SE-R and Spec-V is on the intake box... air inlet on the Spec-V is twice larger than the SE-R so there is more air that can enter. For the ECM, part number might be the same but the firmware to install is not.
I realize it's old news, my point was that information from Nissan USA is not always accurate, or affected by marketing efforts. What does an air inlet have to do with the exhaust system? Why does it list 20mm when every Nismo catalog I've seen at the dealer says 25mm?

My source at Nissan who has met with engineers at corporate claims that the ECU hardware AND software is identical. The QR25DE was tested on 87 octane for the base SE-R and 91 for the SpecV per the recommendation in the owner's manual, when combined with the extra air inlet, there is your 10hp difference. In a cost cutting environment, look at the cheapest possible solution. So what is more likely, two different software programs or two different fuel recommendations? Which would cost less for Nissan to achieve the 10hp difference?

1 - 20 of 20 Posts