B15 Sentra Forum banner

What Parts Manufacturer Do YOU Perfer for Parts on '04 Spec V?

• Nismo

Votes: 20 60.6%
  • AEM

Votes: 6 18.2%
  • Injen

Votes: 2 6.1%
  • DC

Votes: 1 3.0%
  • Hotshot

Votes: 7 21.2%
  • CompCams

Votes: 0 0.0%
  • Greddy

Votes: 3 9.1%
  • Other

Votes: 6 18.2%
1 - 20 of 44 Posts

·
Registered
78 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi, I'm new to this site and i haven't had the chance to look at too many intake and headers threads although i have looked over some, i'm not sure about my problem though...I recently got an '04 Spec V with 14,200 miles on it and the guy that had it b4 me had put a Nismo CAI and Nismo Headers ... My question is that i have heard that Nismo has came out with a Generation II CAI especially for the 2004's and i'm pretty sure this one isn't a Gen II because they have marks were the intake tube rubbed on something but in the sentra there's nothing there to have made that rub mark so its prob used off another nissan model car and i was wondering if there's a big difference between the Gen II and a previous model...and how people fixed their "check engine light" problem from the sensor when they installed their headers...i also had my hopes set on if anyone knew the dyno numbers for parts comparison between Nismo CAI and AEM CAI , Injen, etc... Nismo Headers and DC Headers, Hotshot, etc...I know the dyno numbers for Nismo products (at the wheels they said they measured at)... CAI - 8.7 HP & 10.4 lb-ft Torque, Headers w/o Catalytic Converter - 16 HP & 11.6 lb-ft Torque, Cams - doesn't give specific numbers for, Cat-Back Exaust - 4 HP & 5.5 lb-ft Torque ... any help on lil mods and stuff qould be greatly appreciated...thanx

·
coming soon
14,392 Posts
there is no dc sports header for the QR.

a good idea would be for you to search on the rest of the stuff. there's plenty for you to look through and compare.

·
Registered
78 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Oh i didnt know that about the dc headers but any other info would be cool and also if someone knows alot of lil stuff to do like whats the best oil filter to fit on the '04 Spec V , best name brand spark plugs , wires , etc ....

·
Registered
34 Posts
Did you see the price?!?

3-1 Header
Application Part Number Availability MSRP

Nissan Sentra 2002-03 SE-R SpecV NHS4201s $906.25

4-2-1 Header Two-Piece
Application Part Number Availability MSRP

Nissan Sentra SE-R SpecV 2002-03 NHR4202s TBA - coming soon

·
Theory freak learning...
3,920 Posts
DC Sports advertise stuff for the Spec-V since begining of April...
http://www.b15sentra.net/forums/showthread.php?t=80469&highlight=sports+header
And still all stuff is mark TBA (To Be Announced) and mark as RED for availability...

Chad3388, for your Nismo CAI Gen II, the way to know is to check if you still see the MAF housing (black plastic thing that joint the 2 piping together). If you see this, then it's NOT the GenII.

If you only see a little thing with a wire that goes inside the piping, then it's the GenII. It remove the MAF sensor from the housing and slide it directly into the CAI.

Oh and parts on the Spec-V won't differ from 04 and 02-03 appart of some exeptions like the Nismo CAI GenII.

And my vote for other is K&N and TWM ;)

·
From here to there
762 Posts
Excuse my ignorance but how would/could a 3-1 header fit in the Spec? Could someone explain, I really want to hear this one!!!

·
From here to there
762 Posts
angel2167882 said:
3-1 headers is for V6 engines...
Yeap! My point exactly... Since when does the Sepc comes with a V6????:confused:

·
Banned
2,745 Posts
blah, NISMO parts are all overpriced. if you want to spend the right amount of money, and get good performance, this is what i suggest:
AEM Cold Air Intake- comes with brackets that the hotshot intake doesn't, a lot cheaper then the nismo intake.
Hotshot Header-quality piece, good service. cheaper then the nismo header and increased power gains
Greddy Exhaust- great sounding exhaust, 2.5 inch diameter so if you get nitrous or a turbo it works for both. the evo2 is all stainless steel iirc
UR pulley- don't get the others, there has been a pulley ( i think it was DMS or impulse mechanisms) that broke. the UR is a good piece and works well with other mods.
JWT Cams- more aggressive then nismo cams, and cheaper.

all of this could be found on a search, but im really bored at work so i needed something to do. :)

·
Registered
146 Posts
Have they finally fixed the issues with that ss yet?

·
Immature Tough Guy
5,671 Posts
I posted this last month and seems relevant to this thread. The prices may have changed slightly, but you still see why people are wondering just how big of a margin Nissan is making on these parts.

$275 - NISMO CAI (1)
$199 - AEM CAI (2)

$550 - NISMO catback exhaust (1)
$390 - Magnaflow catback exhaust (3)

$500 - NISMO header (1)
$340 - Hotshot Header (2)

$615 - NISMO cams (1)
$565 - JWT cams (1)

$375 - NISMO front and rear sway bars (1)
$269 - Eibach front and rear sway bars (5)

$115 - NISMO brake pads (1)
$65 - Hawk HPS brake pads (4)

(1) = www.performancenissanparts.com
(2) = www.hpautoworks.com
(3) = www.southwestautoworks.com
(4) = www.lightningmotorsports.com
(5) = www.shox.com

·
Banned
2,745 Posts
ha, i've seen prices for the non-nismo stuff cheaper then that, but thats the cheapest i've seen nismo stuff.
i bought the magnaflow exhaust for 320!

·
Immature Tough Guy
5,671 Posts
Actually if you go to performancenissan, the NISMO prices have gone UP. Front sway is now $200, rear sway $181, lower tie $124 (I got mine for $119 from them a couple months back), cams $645, non brembo brakes $120, intake $239.

The intake I can understand the value, it's the only one on the market that comes with a bypass valve. If I lived in Seattle this would be on my car. AEM however, it is proven among probably hundreds of spec owners across the country if you simply tally up hits through searching.

With the header I think HS has Nismo beat. True the Nismo boasts equal length headers, but it's R-tune status negates any advantages being a Nissan part. HS has proven gains and multiple revisions that are proof the company employs continuous improvement to provide a stronger product life. Also, I passed tailpipe emissions with my HS and the downpipe catalytic converter alone here in NC, I think most states would pass too that have the testing. California won't pass visual though.

Exhaust is interesting, because Stromung is a popular but expensive choice around $600 depending on what you add on, which is usually a big resonator, o2 bung and that $300 muffler. This makes the Nismo a good choice if you want a quality single tip. Sometimes what is overlooked when picking an exhaust, or better said, justifying the high cost, you should consider the obvious fact that you hear will be hearing your engine exhaust all the time, especially with a header, meaning, you better pick a tone that you really like or can tolerate. I read here that VRS, Magnaflow, Greddy and good custom setups are solid choices too.

Suspension pieces are interesting, the Nismo front sway is 23mm, which is only 1mm thicker than the stock...except the Nismo is soild steel while the stock is hollow. I think it's overpriced because Eibach, probably the leading suspension company, provides both front and rear sway for $269 through shox.com, with the front being a fat solid 25mm. The rear is only 19mm, adjustable like Nismo which is downright massive at 25mm, one wonders though how effective a bar truly is on a rear beam when autox drivers report that the Eibach rear on full stiff provides more than enough rear end rotation and overall cooperation through tight corners and transitions. The lower tie bar is unique and highly recommended, it really improved traction into and out of corners due to may lack of lsd.

Brakes I think are very one sided, with companies like Hawk, Carbotech, Axxis, etc at much lower prices, I don't find much value in the overpriced Nismo offering.

·
Registered
146 Posts
I remember reading some threads on here that were discussing an earlier version of the TWM kit that was bending and breaking cables and what-not, and that they had "revised" it and that it was working correctly. Then there were some people on here that had the "revised" generation and were still having the same problems. I'm just wondering if they got that out of their systems yet and had all the bugs worked out.

·
Registered
78 Posts
Discussion Starter · #19 ·
wow ... i wasnt expecting to get this many replies thanx guys i seen where SpecVRacer said get a TWM short shifter which i really want to get rid of this stock shifter in my '04 spec v cuz i HATE it but what about B&M short shifter are they any good and if not what are some othere ones besides nismo and b&m and twm .... thanx agian

·
Registered
73 Posts
I'm just posting my .02, but I have a Nismo Gen II CAI and I think it's the best value because like one of the other guys said it comes with the bypass valve, mounting bracket (so it doesn't move around) and you don't have to pay extra for it. Nismo is a very high quality part. I just got the Nismo Header and everything about this is awesome, the welds are flawless...I don't think I've seen a header this nice before, although I know people that swear by the HS header and the HS is a great choice for the QR. Nismo, like I said has very very high quality parts and you usually get what you pay for. Take a look at www.leeauto.com and check out there prices for the Nismo parts. I know the Gen II CAI is $225 and the Header is $485. The exhaust is absolutely awesome, a very low, deep tone...but there are other choices out there that will give you a great sound and good power (alot of people say the Magnaflow is the best exhaust for performance plus good sound for our cars) also just like the headers...it's really what you prefer and what you want to spend. Just remember, Nismo parts were tested and made for our car specifically, and for some of the things like the CAI, I'd rather spend 225 for a Nismo that 199 for an AEM. Just look around, ask around, and take your time on deciding what you want. I'm usually on TheVBoard.com and there is a ton of info on there also...and most of the lowest prices also. I believe they made sticky's out of most of them so they are easy to find. Sorry for such a long post...I just couldn't believe that people were trying to knock on Nismo and quote way over priced numbers :rolleyes:

OH, and the Nismo (Nissan Motorsports) short shifter is one of the only shifters that hasn't had a problem and I don't remember anyone complaining about it. I think that Mossy sells it and I know that www.hpautoworks.com has it for $150. I think the two links in here are two of the best places to shop for our cars, they both have great customer service and Andy at HPautoworks in da man! :D

1 - 20 of 44 Posts