B15 Sentra Forum banner
1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
alright... well im getting a new car, i just turned 17 and my dad wants to get a new car, my best friends dad is the sales manager at a local nissan dealership and found me a 240 and 300.. but the insurance on both is outrageous. so my dad kinda talked me into a sentra.. i test drove a 2001 SE. it wasnt slow by any means, but it wasnt close to being fast. the SE 2ltr is supposted to have 145hp?.. thats about all it felt like, if that much. the one i drove was an auto, maybe that had something to do with it. but i think i might have to get an automatic so.......

i know from my friend you can get superchargers for maxima's... after the normal wheels and springs, what exactly is there to do for a sentra? any kind of forced induction?.. im sure someone makes a cai?.. exhasts?... someone give me the low down on whats goin on. who makes the stuff, and where can i get it?

i just started reading the boards.. but ive seen alot of stuff about SE/PP and lots of B15 and crap like that... are these just engine types and such?... anyone?

·
Registered
605 Posts
I'm suprised noone has yelled at you to use the search feature or gave you the skinny on everything. Here's the run down, cliff's notes version. I am sure someone is going to post after me exactly what I said, but that's the best part about this site. IF two people say it's right, it's gotta be right!!

first the easy ones:
B15 = generation of sentra. classic SE-R was B13 (best one yet), 200sx was b14 (the egg shape). I don't know the years, but you get the point.

SE = model of sentra. Others are XE, GXE. SE is currently the higest. In fall the SE-R is coming out with 170 hp.

PP = Performance Package. 16" rims, Limited Slip Differentials, spoiler...those are the importants. This package is definately worth it.

Auto does make a difference on the feel of the car. I got the 5-spd and it car is spirited. It's not fast but it's worth the price of the car. You would have to spend 4k more to get an Si with comparable performance. Why are you getting an auto? Talk your parents into a 5-spd, you'll be happy.

The engine in the SE is an SR20DE. It was used in all of the previous SE-Rs, until now. The engine produces 140 stock(145 now, thanks to exhaust system), but has been tested and proven to hold double the HP on stock internals, thanks to the DET. The SR20 is the B16 (honda Si motor) of nissan. Current forced induction projects on the current SE is coming along nicely. ZEX has made a small NOS kit for the car, but I wouldn't recommend it, unless you know what you're doing. JWT has a turbo kit for the SR20, and is currently working on making an ECU to handle it. You can purchase a 200sx se-r (b14) ECU and send it to JWT to reprogram it for you. It's just a mission to rewire everything, though this would give you the ability to turbo safely.

The current bolt-ons are: (guys, help me wit prices)
Hotshot/Place racing CAI - 200
Hotshot Headers
Hosthot exhaust (in development)
Stromung/HKS catback
Stillen muffler (not recommended)
Unorthadox Racing pulleys

Eibach springs
B&G full adjustable kit
Eibach body kit
Brembo brake kit

-I am probably missing some stuff, so you guys can help me out. Remember this is the "cliff notes" version. hehe.

The SR20 has proven to be one of the best motors to use forced induction. Although it's run is coming to a close, 10+ years of constant use is proof enough of it's reliability. A friend of mine has a "classic" se-r (sr20) pushing 21lbs of boost. He is running 12s on street tires. When he gets it into 4th, I haven't seen bikes go that fast! The new skinny is the SE-R, stocked with the QR25. Pushing 170-180HP, it has been rumored to outperform a teg type-r. It has been researched that this motor will NOT accept forced induction as easily.

Alright, enough typing.

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
thanks man, i appreciate it. im kinda dissapointed no one else would reply. yea, i searched and read most of the posts in the forum. im just trying to learn what kinda direction i can take the car in. hotshot apparently makes mods of all kinds for the sentra.. but are there any other reliable companys that make good products for the sentra?.. i realize its not gonna be a race car. and im not sure if i want to put enough money into it to make it fast, or wait till im older to get what i really want.
anyone else want to help me out?

·
Registered
605 Posts
Cosmetics on the SE/SE-R should be totally transferable. So when the SE-R comes out, body kits, interior kits, etc. are going to be plentiful.

As far as performance goes, boosting and spraying will come with the development of the ECU. What exactly were you planning on doing?

bottom line: if the name SE-R is important to you, and you are willing to pay for it; WAIT. If it's not the important, and you want to invest some cash into your car to be able to smoke an SE-R with the cash saved; get a SE.

·
Registered
222 Posts
I agree with Azn.... I like sleepers, so I don't have much of an interest in the SE-R. You could definitely bring an SE well past the performance level of the SE-R, given proper planning and enough$$$$$$:D

My only disappointment is to get big power from this motor you'll have to switch to the old ECU, but this may not turn out to be all that bad. Only time will tell. I definitely recommend the SE, I love mine, and I've never regretted the purchase. Take Azn's advice.

GET A 5-SPEED!:D

This will be the look on your face after driving a 5-speed.:eek:

This WAS the look on your face after the slushbox.:confused:

BIG DIFFERENCE!:D

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
thanks guys, yea.. i read somewhere that the new sentra's have a governer on them? like 109 or something?.. do i just find a ecu from an older model or what...

yea, trust me i dont want an auto, but its not my money, honestly i didnt want a sentra. then i drove one.. and it wasnt that bad ;o).

·
Registered
46 Posts
Cold Air Intake: Place Racing: $226, Hot Shot: $212, Stillen: $?, PRM: Under development.

Springs: Eibach

Cat-back exhaust: HKS and Stromung

Short-throw shifter: Stillen

Front Strut tower bar: Stillen

Rear sway bar: Stillen

header: Stillen and Hot Shot

Skyline engine swap: riiiight

1 - 8 of 8 Posts