B15 Sentra Forum banner
1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Registered
56 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I have the 180W upgraded stock Nissan system in my 2K1 Sentra SE w/PP... it sounds good until except at higher volume when it starts to distort and crackle.. would it help if i just got aftermarket speakers and kept the stock radio? Also is there a plug in replacement for the factory sub yet? thanks for any info

------------------
2001 Sentra SE, Window Tint, Razo carbon fiber pedals, SMC short shifter, Energy Suspension shifter bushing, Stillen front air dam, Place Racing CAI, K&N breather

·
Registered
16 Posts
Im not sure if this applies to your stock or not but the only problem I found with keeping my stock and upgrading the speakers around it was that it could not run my cd changer in the trunk as well. I prefer 10 in the trunk and one on the head unit, but if that doesnt bother you then I say go ahead but you might have to find speakers that the head unit can power w/o an amp since most of the factory head units dont have output for an amp.

·
Registered
605 Posts
no plug in replacement for the sub. I wouldn't even invest the time to investigate. I would suggest getting one 10" woofer and a 200W amp. This will give you nice bass, without any rattle.

The distortion is caused by both the speakers and the radio. If you upgrade either, the situation will get better. I would suggest EVENTUALLY repacing both.

------------------
SR20DE..Sorry Si guys.

·
Registered
59 Posts
What might end up happening with aftermarket speakers and stock HU is that the RMS wattage on the speakers will prolly be considerably higher than that of your current speakers. You HU amp will be pushing to its limits to try to keep up with the speakers and they will start to clip and you'll hear bad distortion at mid to high levels. This will eventually lead to blowing a speaker with constant clipping. Even an aftermarket HU amp usually isn't enough.

I'm not sure what that 180watt system is though, i never heard of it. Is it name brand stuff they installed?

------------------
Neil
Visionology Interactive
http://www.visim.com

·
Former Boosted B15
1,652 Posts
What i did was keep the stock radio and just upgraded the sub to a kick *** one and then added some tweets and an amp. The System sounds REALLY REALLY good!!

------------------

Sportin Da ILL 2000 SE, Greddy Exhaust, HID Hyperwhite Head bulbs, Turn Signals, and Fogs, Free Intake Mod, Custom Made Grill, Vinyl Eye lids, Gas Cap holder, Sound system w/Amp, 1 1/2" Dome Tweets, and Sub...BOOM!

·
Registered
841 Posts
What i had done to my car was this.....and it should do you good. Replace your RADIO and keep your stocks for a longer period of time. Your radio puts out shi**y power. I had done this to my car and it certaintly improved sound up to higher peaks...but i also used an amp. YOu won't hear no more of the rattle and crackle, believe me. it will also sound way clearer

------------------
"Haters Hate This."
------------------
2k1 Sentra SE w/PP
Granite & Manual Trans.
20% Tinted Windows
Alpine CDA-7965 Unit
PPI PC6600 Amp
Cust. Built Box w/
3 JL 10w3 Subs
Cust. Short Shifter

Waamm!
[email protected]

·
Registered
1,267 Posts
<BLOCKQUOTE><font size="1" face="Verdana, Arial">quote:</font><HR>Originally posted by Enemigo:
What i did was keep the stock radio and just upgraded the sub to a kick *** one and then added some tweets and an amp. The System sounds REALLY REALLY good!!

<HR></BLOCKQUOTE>

what kind of sub?? what size..... watts????

------------------
2000 Nissan Sentra SE - HP RacingMotorsport Coilovers - Razo Carbonfiber Pedals - Razo titanium shift knob - Razo Shift Light - Nology Hotwires

·
Former Boosted B15
1,652 Posts
Kicker Solo-Baric 10" 350watts, Kicker 200 Watt Bridged amp, 1/2" kicker Dome tweeters.

------------------

Sportin Da ILL 2000 SE, Greddy Exhaust, HID Hyperwhite Head bulbs, Turn Signals, and Fogs, Free Intake Mod, Custom Made Grill, Vinyl Eye lids, Gas Cap holder, Sound system w/Amp, 1 1/2" Dome Tweets, and Sub...BOOM!

·
Registered
56 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
thanks for the suggestions, well i'm trying to be cheap on the audio, so i might just keep everything and just buy a subwoofer... the stock equipment only distorts when i turn the bass up.

------------------
2001 Sentra SE, Window Tint, Razo carbon fiber pedals, SMC short shifter, Energy Suspension shifter bushing, Stillen front air dam, Place Racing CAI, K&N breather

·
Registered
841 Posts
Change your stock radio bro! 3 step: 1: change stock radio 2: buy a 2 cha amp 3: buy your sub

------------------
"Haters Hate This."
------------------
2k1 Sentra SE w/PP
Granite & Manual Trans.
20% Tinted Windows
Alpine CDA-7965 Unit
PPI PC6600 Amp
Cust. Built Box w/
3 JL 10w3 Subs
Cust. Short Shifter

Waamm!
[email protected]

·
Registered
1,267 Posts
what did you do with your stock sub?

------------------
2000 Nissan Sentra SE - HP RacingMotorsport Coilovers - Razo Carbonfiber Pedals - Razo titanium shift knob - Razo Shift Light - Nology Hotwires

·
Registered
35 Posts
Replace the rear speakers - it's cheap, relatively easy, and the stock ones are by far the weakest link in your audio. They are terrible 8W panasonic one ways.

------------------
2001 Sentra SE+PP 5 speed Canadian model

·
Registered
1,267 Posts
i popped my speakers already... thought they had it in em!

------------------
2000 Nissan Sentra SE - HP RacingMotorsport Coilovers - Razo Carbonfiber Pedals - Razo titanium shift knob - Razo Shift Light - Nology Hotwires - Arospeed Shortshifter

·
Time Warp
1,141 Posts
Gotta love those paper woofers. Even the stock sub is paper. Heh.

------------------
Jae
'00 SE w/ PP
Dropped and some other stuff...

·
Registered
1,267 Posts
fer real though.... tried to fake people out and put that big a** metal housing too.... for a second i thought that was the magnet!!

------------------
2000 Nissan Sentra SE - HP RacingMotorsport Coilovers - Razo Carbonfiber Pedals - Razo titanium shift knob - Razo Shift Light - Nology Hotwires - Arospeed Shortshifter

1 - 15 of 15 Posts