B15 Sentra Forum banner

1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
4,108 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
After the realization that the JWT clutch and flywheel basically made 1st and 2nd gear useless at the 1/4 track on these stock rims and tires, I am looking into some smaller rims to utilize 1st and 2nd gear more, and get a better launch. Now my question is, has anyone put rota slipstreams on their spec-v? I'm still debating between 15's and 16's. Also, I know our bolt pattern is 4x113.4, but what other offsets could I use? What would be the best? Regardless of what rims I get, I will be buying 4 of them, not just two. So I will be using these on the road also. What tires should I go with, what experiences have people had with tires hooking at the 1/4, but are still okay to drive in the rain. And last but not least, does anyone have any photos of 15's or some slipstreams on a spec-v? I think they will look naughty ;D

Thanks,
Doug

·
Registered
4,108 Posts
Discussion Starter · #2 ·
Look at all them replies.

·
Canyon junkie! ( ^o^) <3
4,332 Posts
I have a quick question. Is that that you are getting no traction at all in 1ST & 2ND, or is it that 1ST & 2ND gear are too short & you're trying to get even bigger & wider front slicks for traction or are you bogging in 1ST & 2ND? We need specifics here. :p

·
Registered
4,108 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
The first two basically. There is a traction issue big time, but even if I do catch a bit of traction, the gearing is way too short, especially with that lighter flywheel. That's why I want to get wider front slicks, to improve the gearing. But yeah, you hit it right on the dime the first time.

·
Canyon junkie! ( ^o^) <3
4,332 Posts
Ah! OK. Well, those Rota Slipstreams wil be fine. Most people that drag will usually have a 15" wheel with some really huge tires to give you a little larger gearing. Now, if you plan on driving it everyday, the this will not do.

You might want to get some of those Rota Slipstream wheels in the 16" size instead with some 225/50-16 tires all the way around. On the down side, the rear will rub if you are lowered with that size. It's like a double edged sword.

I run 205/55-16 tires on my SE & they're about 1/2" taller than the original 195-55-16 tires that it came with. I did notice that the gearing got slightly taller. You could also try that size, but it might be too narrow for drag racing. They do well on twisty roads though.

I'm pretty sure that some drag expers will elaborate further. :D

P.S.

Rota Slipstream are Desmond wheel copies. If you wan the original wheels, they are much lighter & stronger, but they do cost more.

Here's a link.

http://www.importhookup.com/forums/showthread.php?s=&threadid=45

·
Registered
4,108 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Yeah, that's the thing, I'm keeping the budget low.

I know the slipstream is geared more for hondas etc... but I remember seeing a pic of a spec-v sitting on them, and I fell in love.

·
creating HAVOK
262 Posts
well i was going to get those slipstreams when sr20man mentioned them to me only because they were 1 lb lighter than the c8's, but i liked the c8's better. if you are trying to get some rotas regardless if it be slipstream or other models check this site out they have the cheapest prices online. i have searched and searched and they were the cheapest .-----> http://www.honda-tech.com/zerothread?id=697937&page=46

on the bottom of member "zx6rr" on his sig. he has the stock sheet and on the first page of the thread is the pricing. 15x7 are $415 and 16x7 are 450. plus 50 shipping i think?
good luck

·
Registered
4,108 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
Yeah.. that's pretty good prices. Anyone have any pics of slipstreams on a spec-v?

·
Registered
5,244 Posts
http://www.b15sentra.net/forums/showthread.php?t=85568&highlight=slipstreams

Gray Slipstreams on a black SE, I bet they would look about the same on a Spec V! :)

Before you have your mind set on the slipstreams check with a few shops to see if they have the color you want or if there is a long wait for them. When I ordered my wheels I wanted steel gray slipstreams, but the only color I could get was Bronze (In our bolt pattern).

Are you going to use these wheels and tires all year round? If so you are going to have to make some sompromises, and you may not do much for your traction issue. You traction problems now are probably related more to the fact that you have all-season tires and not the actual size of your wheels.

If you are going to only use these for the summer then Azenis would work well, but you will want to take it easy when it rains and you sure as hell aren't going to be driving in the winter/snow with them.

·
Registered
4,108 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
^good info. Where did you get your wheels from?

·
Immature Tough Guy
5,671 Posts
I've always like the Rota Slipstream, and almost got them last year. They are slightly lighter than other Rotas in the same size, like the Subzero, Attack or C8 like dnyspeed was saying.

Also to my knowledge the Slipstream does not come in 15x7, it's actually 15x6.5. SpecVracing - if you haven't noticed by now, 15x7 in our 4x114.3 bolt pattern are EXTREMELY hard to find unless you go forged. I gave up on searching for a good cast 15x7 after Kosei stopped making it in our bolt pattern, so I settled for the 15x6.5 Konig Traffiks. Those are now my daily driver rims because they weren't wide enough, so for autox I went with 16x7 Traffiks and they've been pretty good to me.

I know very little about drag racing, and I would ASSUME that a wider rim is not as crucial in the 1/4 mile than it is for autox. In autox your car is at the absolute handling limit most of the time and a wider rim equals a bigger contact patch which stays more consistent through corners. This is probably not as big of an issue for drag racing, so you might be ok with a 15x6.5.

·
Registered
4,108 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
Well.. I learned that fact after I posted this. So most likely I would go with the slipstream in 16x7. Wider tires are necessary for dragging also.

1 - 13 of 13 Posts