B15 Sentra Forum banner
1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
57 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I'm thinking about replacing my stock 180w system with a new headunit and rear speakers.

I like the Kenwood units because Kenwood has an adapter that plugs into the changer input on the back and allows for an RCA line input which I want for my mp3 cd player.

I don't want to buy an mp3 cd headunit because they still lack a lot of functionality and are expensive.

Any Kenwood head unit recommendations? Experiences with kenwood? Do they overheat easily?

I also want to upgrade the rear speakers...I'm willing to spend money on good speakers..what are recommended?

I assume I lose the function of the rear sub if I change the head unit...can I replace that sub with another working one WITHOUT adding an external amp? I figure with new rear speakers I probably won't need the stock sub anyway...

Thanks for any input

jn
------

2001 Sentra SE PP

·
Registered
24 Posts
Kenwood is an awesome company! I've had Kenwood everything in my old sentra and it was the most reliable system I've ever had, no problems whatsoever. I know some would probably disagree, but these are from what I've experience. Whenever I hit a hard bump or pothole it never skipped and it would play any scratched up CD and any CD-R I threw at it. I had the Kenwood Excelon KDC-X815. Kenwood also has a more affordable in-dash CD/MP3 player thats out, the KDC-MP8017, that starts for around ~$360. As for rear speakers, I wouldn't know cause I own a 2001 Infiniti G20t, it's a different sound system. I'd save a little more and get both the front and rear speakers at the same time. But thats just me...good luck.

·
Bow to your SE GOD
4,702 Posts
I partly agree with nismoboy1. But I'd suggest new front speakers first. When you go to a concert, the music comes from in fron of you, right? The front speakers are the most important in the whole system. They provide the vocals, all the imaging and focus for the whole sounstage you're listenening to. You'd be surprised if you bump the fade 1 or 2 notches to the front, how it sharpens things up, instead of having music just surrounding you. The rears should just be reinforcement. I've always kept my stock rears in previous sytems, even with major upgrades to every other part of the system. (2 amps, 2 12" subs, kickpanels...) Hope this helps- just my $.02

·
Registered
57 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Thanks for the input.

I find the sound to be really muddy from the rear speakers, but nice and clear from the front ones. Plus changing the rears looks to be much easier than the fronts.

Right now, with the stock setup I have the fader bumped 1 notch to the rear to balance out the sound a bit.

·
Registered
46 Posts
i have the kenwood x817 and i love it...it has ALOT of features and a kool display...i like the system Q equalizer..it gives u alot of options to tune your music just rite...and plus i got it half off....

1 - 5 of 5 Posts