B15 Sentra Forum banner

1 - 20 of 31 Posts

·
Registered
1,003 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Ok another drag radial question, I have decided to run them @ 18psi and go lower form there, but now im starting to think of another "problem" i punched in the numbers into the miata tire calculator and with the 215 45 17 tires and rims im going at 96mph through the traps. When i type in 205 50 15 it says that when my speedo says 60 i will be actually going 56.xx mph. Being that 4th end at 100, will i be banging of the limiter at the end? Not that ill be trapping at 100, but the smaller tires will change the gearing, so im curious if be off the limiter? Also i do think the smalller wheels will increase my trap a little, am i right or is this just a rumor?

·
Registered
1,003 Posts
Discussion Starter · #2 ·
btw i smell being the first na specv to hit 13s, without being fully bolted hehe
Prediction 13.9 @ 97

·
Registered
1,003 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
wow, thanks for all the information guys. I know SOME1 MUST have experience here.

·
Registered
1,003 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
why not? if i hit a 2.0-1.9 i dont see why not. My main concern is shifting into 5th gear though, i really dont want 2

·
Registered
1,003 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
yea but i never heard of a specv goign 14.2 @ 96 with a 2.1 60 either. I know its not normal to hit 13 with a 97mph, but i dont think its impossible. I know you have alot more experience than me when it comes to draggin the b15, but i jsut dont see why it isnt possible with a lower 60 foot time.

·
oil leaks blow
2,389 Posts
The problem you might have would be running out enough 4th gear right before the end of the run. If you have to shift into 5th right before the end, you'll never get into 13's.

If you can manage to get through the 1/4 in 4th, you might see a good enough improvement.

·
Banned
343 Posts
niceguy is right, even if you improve your 60-feet times, your going to have to shift into fifth and you'll never hit 13's

·
Southern Shift Racing
2,511 Posts
Yeah, I have to agree with Stephen. You're going to need a few more mph before you'll hit a 13.9. 96mph won't cut it, no matter which way you slice it. And DRs can hinder you as much as they can help. While they'll help the launch, they'll slow you down a tad just by nature of them being stickier tires. Alot of people find that while their 60' is improved with DRs their trap slows by 1-2mph.

Chris, you have the same mods I do and I am confident that I won't hit 13.9 until I get that downpipe from HP and also some JWT cams. Start thinking about cams bro. :D

I predict with DRs you'll hit no better than a 14.1 @95-96mph. Still pretty f'in good for a N/A Spec. :cool:

·
Banned
2,745 Posts
im also try to get into the 13's N/A. the DR's do give better 60 foots but my mph has gone down; but i remember you saying that they are smaller tires so it will counter the DR's. i hope your right. either way i'l be getting cams and a midpipe like you and sliversufer.

·
NG Autoworks
7,504 Posts
silversurfer said:
Yeah, I have to agree with Stephen. You're going to need a few more mph before you'll hit a 13.9. 96mph won't cut it, no matter which way you slice it. And DRs can hinder you as much as they can help. While they'll help the launch, they'll slow you down a tad just by nature of them being stickier tires. Alot of people find that while their 60' is improved with DRs their trap slows by 1-2mph.

Chris, you have the same mods I do and I am confident that I won't hit 13.9 until I get that downpipe from HP and also some JWT cams. Start thinking about cams bro. :D

I predict with DRs you'll hit no better than a 14.1 @95-96mph. Still pretty f'in good for a N/A Spec. :cool:
This is a great post. He said exactly what I would've said, but didn't feel like writing it all, or taking the time to explain it, lol.

He is completely right. The drag radials and added traction will cause you to lose 1-2 mph, you won't hit 13's.

PS: You should be able to pull a 1.9 60 footer with DR's,....

·
Registered
1,003 Posts
Discussion Starter · #15 ·
yea i understand that the better your 60 is the worse your trap speed becomes. But i dotn run 96mph running 27-30psi like all the other guys do on street tires. I run it doing 18-20psi on street tires, so my trap speed is already "supposed" to be hurt. Im going from a 215-45-17 to a 205-50-15 thats a BIG difference and if nething id oubt it would hurt my trap speed, plus its not liek 80+ degrees outside. its going to be in the 60s soon. Ahhh we'll just see i guess. Thanks for the replies guys

·
Registered
386 Posts
I bounced off the rev limiter "right before, just before" the 1/4 mile line. I was 13.30 at 103.7

Shane

·
Southern Shift Racing
2,511 Posts
SpecVracer315 said:
hey sliversufer, what are your mods?
I/H/E/P/BSR/TA/safc-II/KS/TWMss/PRmms/Nismo suspension/weight reduction ~100lbs

My best trap so far was a 96.4mph (that run netted a 14.8 with a REALLLLLLY ****ty 2.3 60' on stock rims/tires @20-22psi) Best run (mind you I've only been to the track once, but I'm a decent driver) was a 14.6 @ 95.6mph with a 2.2 60' Also, since that time at the track I had my timing advanced, installed the short shifter and I did the weight reductions, so I bet now if I went I'd be in the 14.3-14.4 range at a solid 96mph on average.

I'm confident that with some more practice, HP downpipe and JWT cams that I could feasibly net a 13.9 @ ~98mph. Its gotta be a PERFECT run though. I'm going to try it either on my lightweight 15" Traffiks w/ fresh Azenis sports or I might borrow Dangling Furys 16" traffiks w/ bald/slick Azenis sports. :D Thing is Chris that the 15" rim will probably cause us to HAVE to shift to 5th, and that will take precious time away. :( A 16" might allow me to be able to hold out 4th and just barely hit the limiter as I cross the line. We'll see. As much as I would like to see a fellow Spec bretheren hit a 13.9 all N/A I just don't think its going to happen for you...yet. ;) But it will. Cams baby...cams. They'll really open up the top end and help us get a few more mph and ponies that will enable us to hit 13s. Damn, I'll be happy with that. A 4 door all N/A Spec that can hit a 13.9. Not too damn shabby. :cool:

·
Banned
2,745 Posts
WTF were the weight reductions?

cams are calling me too. as is that downpipe, but im afraid i won't pass emissions testing :(

·
Southern Shift Racing
2,511 Posts
SpecVracer315 said:
WTF were the weight reductions?

cams are calling me too. as is that downpipe, but im afraid i won't pass emissions testing :(
haha... they're secret. ;)

Naw. EVERYTHING in the trunk...gone... Floor mats, balance shafts (hey...they're weight :p), lightweight battery (loss of 25+ pounds there) and a few other things I can't think of right now. All in all I estimate I lost ~100lbs. :D It was definitely noticeable too. Plus if I am running on my 15" traffiks that's almost another 50+ lbs lost, not to mention the loss of rotational mass. Gearing is shorter...but its fun as sheeit when driving around town. :D

hehe, all we have for emissions here in NC is OBD-II. No tailpipe, no visual (plus I know some people who..em...will overlook stuff). I have a Casper o2 sim waiting to be installed...well as soon as the DP gets here.

Cams will be coming in September.

October is time to hit the track once the weather cools and conditions are ideal.

1 - 20 of 31 Posts