B15 Sentra Forum banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Signals
268 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I feel kinda dumb but I need some help with my new gxe (01).. the belt that's closer to the front of the car (that goes around the alternator pulley, among others) is hanging off. I tried messing with it a little but I can't seem to get it on. I see for the other belt there's a bracket with a track in it for loosening and tightening to get the belt on and off but I don't see anything like that for the other. There's a long screw near the alternator that I've taken out and then tightened all the way for the hell of it but it didn't seem to do anything. I'm starting to think the belt could be the wrong size but I hope that's not the case. TIA

·
Registered
569 Posts
I don't have a GXE.. can u give me a little more detail?. there is two belt.. so it's a V belt. should be a belt going around thought ur a/c alternator, and crankshaft. usually there is a small pulley between it.. take the small one off and pull the belt under or inside around the puelly. usually the small one is the water pump.

the belt should be flat belt rubber belt. not the gear belt or chain.

·
Signals
268 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
thanks for the reply, let's see.. more detail: the belt that's hanging has 5-6 grooves on one side that runs along the belt and the other side's flat. The car has an UR crank pulley installed which has places for two belts. The outer one is smaller, wraps around two other pullies and is on there tight. It looks to be connected to the a/c and power-steering.. The other belt is the inner belt and is around the UR pulley but not on any of the other three. One is the alternator pulley but I'm not sure about the other two. There is also a flat wheel near the alternator pulley that the flat side of the belt runs under. I thought it moved somehow to allow the belt to be wrapped around the other pullies and then could be used to tighten the belt but it seems like there's a trick..

·
Registered
569 Posts
ok so the belt have chain tension/ stopper pin. don't touch that belt. unless u see the timing mark don't match. but the belt ur talking about is to water pump and alternator. i don't know nor ever seen QG18. u just need to play around with it. and u do need to take 1 pulley off to reinstall it for sure. I would just take the alternator pulley off. since it's all the way on the top. however if u take the crank pulley off. make sure u do not.. repeat do not turn the crankshaft.

·
Signals
268 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
hey thanks again, you're right, it's just two pullies the belt needs to get around.. if I take the alternator pulley off and put the belt around it then it just won't reach the alternator.. I just need to find out how to loosen something. Can any gxe guys tell me how they change their belts??

as far as turning the crankshaft, I'm not sure what you mean.. the car's an auto and while it was in neutral I may have moved the UR pulley a bit.. I can't remember.. is this bad? Also I'm not sure what you mean by timing mark, like on a belt? It's got a timing chain like the QR

·
Signals
268 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
nevermind, I figured it out.. thanks again though for the help Icefox.

btw, this is the Fluidmobile I'm talking about.. and I just fired it up :) IT'S BACK

1 - 6 of 6 Posts