B15 Sentra Forum banner

1 - 18 of 18 Posts

·
Registered
195 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
All rite guyz hope you can help me out quick here. I was driving my car tonight and right as I picked up from a stop sign, my car started stalling and it felt like someone pulled the e-brake. I thought my friend was messing around with the e-brake but he wasn't. The rpm's dropped rapidly and the car wont go above 1500 rpm's max. I panicked and pulled the car aside and turned it off. I tried starting it but it wont start (prolly went in the safe mode). After a few tries it wont even kick. The battery seems to be fine, the windows and lights work without any problem and it doesnt seem like the battery is dying either. I called a few friends and they said to check the intake filter (if it feel off) and check the Pulley for cracks. Well its night time and I cant see for **** so I'm gonna check the car out tommorow morning.

I had my Header, Pulley and MM's installed about 2 months ago and the car seemed fine. I dont know what I'm gonna do yet, take it to Nissan or some other mechanic around here. The closest dealership is bout an hour away and I'm sure they gonna give me crap about my mods and may just charge me for some B.S. I only have 19000miles on the car so its still under warranty. BTW recently I had my headlight goin out. I posted up here and some people said I might have fried my harness or something due to the aftermarket bulbs. Any reason this could have messed with my electronics? I had my recall done so I dont know what else could be the problem unless I see the car tommorow morning.

Your comments/suggestions would be greatly appreciated. Also if anyone from Lake County, IL can stop by and diagnose the car, I'd appreciate it.

thanks

·
Registered
4,958 Posts
your cam or crank position sensors could have still gone bad... check out the spark plugs too.

***edit

also, you might want to try and keep cranking until you can throw a code and get the code.

·
Registered
195 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
See I already had the SES light on since I got my header installed, so I dont know if I can get another code thrown on top of that. I was too lazy to install the O2 Sim. Any other wayz?

·
Registered
195 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
I was thinkin MAF too as well, but my bro thinks its the spark plugs which I doubt them failing at 19k miles. I cant get to the car tonight to get the code, besides the first code it might give me is the O2 Sensor not available due to header install.

My other question is, should I take it to nissan or should I just take it to a mechanic and ask him to diagnose it? I'm afraid nissan is gonna stick me with a bill and void my warranty completely which my parents would kill me ova.

·
Registered
1,208 Posts
graveheart_82 said:
I was thinkin MAF too as well, but my bro thinks its the spark plugs which I doubt them failing at 19k miles. I cant get to the car tonight to get the code, besides the first code it might give me is the O2 Sensor not available due to header install.

My other question is, should I take it to nissan or should I just take it to a mechanic and ask him to diagnose it? I'm afraid nissan is gonna stick me with a bill and void my warranty completely which my parents would kill me ova.
I doubt its the spark plugs...in order for what you described to happen ALL 4 spark plugs would have to go AT THE SAME TIME.....a car will start and most of the time move with only 3 spark plugs....I would say MAF look to see if any black smoke is coming out the exhaust....its a possibility that running without the O2 sensor could have screwed up the MAF sensor or something...maybe....of course I'm a douche so don't listen to me

·
I'm with your mom
1,540 Posts
it's not your MAF cuz if it was your car would probably still start, if it's not kicking over that's a different story

·
Registered
1,208 Posts
word....the car will more than likely still run off the alt. if it died like that and were a power issue it would be the alt. which it COULD be....

if you're doing the codes....they are displayed one right after the other....with maybe a 1-2 second pause between them

P.S. love the sig!!!

"pc load letter? what the **** does that mean?"

classic

·
Registered
1,208 Posts
NISMO82 said:
it's not your MAF cuz if it was your car would probably still start, if it's not kicking over that's a different story

I was just thinking the same thing...well sort of....the MAF prolly wouldn't make it cut out right after leaving the stop sign...it would be prolly closer to around 3-4K RPM....

·
I'm with your mom
1,540 Posts
right but even if his maf was bad the car would still run, is what i'm saying. not sure if i typed it right...damn wayy to early for me

·
Registered
26 Posts
How old is your intake filter?..... Might you have over-oiled it?....i have seen the SE-R maf go bad due to excess oil being sucked through the filter and onto the hotwire. If this is the problem, then you will need a new maf...... this will cost you an arm and a leg from the dealer....like $600 is what my last customer had paid at some dealer out int the midwest. Hit me up if you end up needing the maf.... you guys get like 20-25% offa list at our dealership.

-Alex B.

·
Registered
557 Posts
The first thing that you need to do is read the SES light. If your headlights still work than there is plenty of juice left in order to get the codes. You O2 code should be thrown first, followed by a 1 second pause and then the start of the second set of codes. I hate to tell you this but I'm thinking that you have a bad ECU... Seeing that you don't have a SAFC listed in your list of mods I would take it to the dealership once you have gotten the codes (as long as the code isn't mod related i.e. MAF, Header, you get the idea) and make them replace it because they have to prove that it was mod related before they void your warranty, or not warranty the part that is bad...

·
Registered
328 Posts
A similar thing happened to me. I was in second gear at redline and the engine cut. It kept running at low RPM until I came to a stop and then it stalled. It started up fine and ran great. Then, the next day I was driving the car with my mechanic monitoring a wideband O2 sensor, in fifth gear at 5000 RPM (going about 190KM/H) and it did the same thing. I got a code the second time and it was the cam position sensor. I had it replaced and the car has been perfect for a couple weeks. I would go and have your codes checked. But, the ECM won't register a problem until it sees it twice, most of the time. So, I would wait until it happens again so you do have a code for it.

·
Registered
195 Posts
Discussion Starter · #17 ·
Thanks for all the help guyz, but I didnt have time to go near the car today. Had to run so many errands today. Since we only have 2 cars in the family, mine being one the only other had to be used all day. I had to wake up at 6 to drop of my dad then my bro at college and had to go to the DMV for my sticker replacement (last day). Anywayz, that's besides the point.

I had my car towed to Libertivylle (spell) Nissan. The guy called me up and said my car was ready around 4:30 pm. I asked him what the problem was and he said they had to replace my ALTERNATOR (SPECsen wins!). Fortunately the tow was covered under warranty otherwise it would have been $150 for just towing the damn thing (approx 30miles from my house to closest dealership). I picked up my car just an hour ago and it seems to run as good as before (may be better, but it could be in my head; personally I think it picks up better). The SES is still on due to the header but I'll definately have to get it fixed ASAP.

thanks again for all the comments and suggestions. I still have to go back to them for my headlight problem but before that I have to get my bulbs changed back to stock. New headlight might be comin soon or maybe the harness i guess the bulbs fried.

·
Registered
195 Posts
Discussion Starter · #18 ·
sorry forgot to thank Paul personally. Didnt wanna bother you all of a sudden like that but you were the only one on my phone list who knew about our car. Thanks again for the suggestions.

SPECSen: Office Space is one of my favorite movies, never get tired of watching it; thanks again.

1 - 18 of 18 Posts