B15 Sentra Forum banner
1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
347 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I did a search on NOS and Zex. I found two cars who had burned thier motors? would a 50 shot kill a 1.8l? If not which 50 shot would be the safes and which would be the cheapest. Also, i was thinking if there was any kind of part I hade to modify I would buy that part from a wrecked sentra and keep mine new incase, I scewed up... then I could place the orginal part back on and call the peeps on the waranenty :) call me dirty.

------------------
2001 GXE
from a i4.0 to a 1.8?
oh well

G

·
I think that you will get mixed answers on this one. Let me first state that several of us our skeptical about "chip's" situation. He has lied on other boards about his car, so we have to be careful about what he says.

What I can tell you is that NOS is potentially dangerous. NOS works when the nitrogen atoms separates from the oxygen atom in the combustion chamber making much more oxygen available to burn. This is great, but you have to have an additional amount of fuel introduced into the mix to keep your air/fuel ratio in check. The primary cause of engine failure in using NOS is running lean (too little fuel.)

The ZEX kit is a passive system. Their little control box has a seperate lead that goes to the engine's fuel pressure regulator. When NOS is activated, the control box tells the Fuel Pressure regulator to increase flow to the injectors to balance out the air/fuel ratio. It increases fuel flow, but no one knows by how much, or if it is adequate to keep from running lean. From what I understand, it is not possible to "tune" the system.

There are a couple problems though. The ZEX kit provides no means of monitoring the air/fuel ratio. It's a plug and play system, but you really have no idea what your doing. The other variable that CANNOT be controlled is ignition timing. From what I've read, an Advanced ignition timing and NOS are a bad combination. The Zex kit was designed for the old SR20DE motor that ran only 13 degrees of advance. The B15 runs 15 degrees stock, and some people go as high as 17 or 18. This may be potentially hazardous.

The Better way to go is with the currently non-existant JWT NOS kit. It provides "active" control over ignition timing, fuel flow and when NOS is actually spraying. JWT uses the ECU and a daughter board to control NOS operation. Ignition timing can be advanced or retarded at various RPM points to maximize the effectiveness of the NOS. It is much safer than the ZEX kit because everything is very controlled within specs. that the engine can handle. With the JWT kit, an otherwise stock engine can handle a 100 shot of NOS. I doubt you could get a 75 shot to work with the ZEX kit....well, without frying your motor. :)

The problem right now is that without a B15 ECU, there is no NOS kit either. The other problem is the price. It isn't cheap. I think the kit with ecu is like $1700 bucks. *ouch* But, it will make your car faaaast!

I'm not sold on the ZEX kit. It's cheap, but doesn't provide enough safeguards against catastrophe. I was considering the kit for awhile too, but I'm a little too leary about the downsides to take the plunge.

------------------
2001 SE, P/P, 5 spd. Cloud White.
MODS:
- Stromung Stainless Cat-back.
- Place Racing CAI (eventually)
- Stillen Front Spoiler

·
Registered
3,122 Posts
To me it did seem kinda odd that he blew his engine then yet he wants to start a group buy for springs???????
Check it out
http://www.b15sentra.net/ubb/Forum15/HTML/000033.html

------------------

MODS:
17x7 Konig-Caffeine's ,Stillen front spoiler,Aluminum dash kit,Remote starter,35% Tint,Aluminum Pedal Kit,Ventshade-ventvisors,Custom Front Grille,Stromung Cat-Back,Place Racing CAI,and Painted Calipers & Rotors
***My Website***
**Car Pictures**

·
Registered
124 Posts
You need a bigger fuel pump and injectors for the 100 shot.

------------------
Ryan 97 Black SE-R
Custom 2.5" mandrel bent exhaust with dynomax super turbo muffler, Hotshot Cold Air Intake, Unorthodox Racing Pulleys (2set), Nis-knacks clear corners, timing at 19 degrees, Hotshot header(installing this week)
aim Stea1th727

·
Registered
3 Posts
Nos is safe, the problem is when people go too big, over 75hp. Then you run into problems, like having to upgrade the fuel system and better cluch, and so on. There are two kinds of nos systems, a wet and dry.
One injects or fogs strait nos and requires the injectors to add the extra fuel, the other adds both fuel and nos. This system is best if you are worryed about going lean, but more work to install. I would get a air fuel mixture guage and fuel presure gauge if you want to run nos. That way you can see what is going on.

------------------
"if it isn't broke, modify it."

·
Registered Loser
6,883 Posts
Heh..I'll look into something more stable than NOS. Me being totally naive to the NOS/ZEX concept, I need something that will work most of the time as safe as I can get, just for streetable driving. I'll cross my fingers. :)

------------------
Marvin
-2000 Sentra SE w/Performance Package, Sunroof, 5 Spd, Avalanche
Current mods: Gas Cap Holder, Stromung Cat-Back Exhaust System, Place Racing Cold Air Intake
Future mods:Unorthodox Racing Pulleys, Window Tint
-Previous Owner 1995 Sentra GXE, w/mods, Auto, Maroon

1 - 6 of 6 Posts