B15 Sentra Forum banner

1 - 20 of 24 Posts

·
Registered
149 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Now I wanna know what everyone thinks. To go Turbo or not to go Turbo that is the question.

I wanna keep my car N/A but damn I love the BOOST!

------------------
B-15 SE, 17X7 Kosei Racing Senekas, Sumitomo HTRZ2.

·
Registered
104 Posts
<BLOCKQUOTE><font size="1" face="Verdana, Arial">quote:</font><HR>Originally posted by TSR14:
Now I wanna know what everyone thinks. To go Turbo or not to go Turbo that is the question.

I wanna keep my car N/A but damn I love the BOOST!

<HR></BLOCKQUOTE>

Have you tried to search for this topic? There has been various topics and posts dealing with this very same question. I'm keeping mine N/A till warranty, and then decide whether to keep the car the way it is or purchase something that already has 200+ to the wheels. :)

------------------
Marvin, aka Original Mr Sentra
2000 Nissan Sentra SE w/Performance Package, Sunroof, 5 spd, Avalanche
Current Mods: Gas Cap Holder, Stromung Cat Back Exhaust System, Place Racing Cold Air Intake

·
Registered
3,122 Posts
I'll tell ya this much but I was at the local Lexus dealer today and I am really into the Is300 and I love that thing man that's one sweet ride......

------------------

MODS:
17x7 Konig-Caffeine's ,Stillen front spoiler,Aluminum dash kit,Remote starter,35% Tint,Aluminum Pedal Kit,Ventshade-ventvisors,Custom Front Grille,Stromung Cat-Back,Place Racing CAI,and Painted Calipers & Rotors
***My Website***
**Car Pictures**

·
Registered
104 Posts
<BLOCKQUOTE><font size="1" face="Verdana, Arial">quote:</font><HR>Originally posted by Sentra Styling:
I'll tell ya this much but I was at the local Lexus dealer today and I am really into the Is300 and I love that thing man that's one sweet ride......

<HR></BLOCKQUOTE>

Was it stick? I heard that they will be coming out with a stick now. I can't imagine how much faster it will be. That will be one complete ride right there. :)

------------------
Marvin, aka Original Mr Sentra
2000 Nissan Sentra SE w/Performance Package, Sunroof, 5 spd, Avalanche
Current Mods: Gas Cap Holder, Stromung Cat Back Exhaust System, Place Racing Cold Air Intake
"Hey guys, drive safe and no accidents!"

·
Still Faster Then You...
1,465 Posts
I have only seen the IS300 in a stick...

OK about the turbo, well look at it this way with a turbo that is constant strain on the motor inless you do a complete rebuild. but with NA there is barly any stain on the motor just bolt ones and other such things that put very little or no stain. see coming from a NOS back ground were i am all about the HP in a bottle, see the reason i like NOS is because it HP on tap and only puts stain on the motor when u use it, when u are drvingt around noromal there is no stain...but its up to you i know what you mean by loving boost, i think everyone would love rolling up to a parking lot full or import and just stepping on it to hear the "PPPPPPSSSSSTTTT" letting everyone know you have a turbo.

------------------
2001 sentra SE 2.0
w/ perforance package,
DTM muffler, custom cold air intake, NOS/ZEX hybrid Nitrous system 55 shot, HID bulbs all around. Ti vavle springs and retainers, Port and polished head, ported intake manifold, bored TB, port matched to gaskets, 5 angle vavle job. Eibach Sportline springs. x15.5 @ 88(STOCK) 14.8 @ 94(on the bottle),

·
Registered
446 Posts
my engine gets stained when the wind blows the oil onto the head. Thats what you meant right??

-iLL

------------------
2001 Sentra SE w/ Performance Package-Place Racing CAI- Stromung Full Cat-back- Custom Grille-Pioneer DEHP 7300 + 4x TS-1675's-
[email protected] mph

·
Registered
222 Posts
<BLOCKQUOTE><font size="1" face="Verdana, Arial">quote:</font><HR>my engine gets stained when the wind blows the oil onto the head. Thats what you meant right??
-iLL<HR></BLOCKQUOTE>

OUCH! :D

------------------
2001 SE 5-spd. w/PP Granite

Minor cosmetic mods....
HID-look headlamps & hyperwhite fogs. Autozone rubber antenna, blue aluminum valve stem caps. (not much...but it's a start!)
Lots of mods planned...waiting for the $$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$!

·
Registered
222 Posts
I guess this is a matter of what you want your car to become in the long run. I'm leaning toward all-motor for my car, I don't want the maintenence hassles that a turbo requires, and I plan on autocrossing this car eventually, so I need a motor that provides an even, smooth powerband.

------------------
2001 SE 5-spd. w/PP Granite

Minor cosmetic mods....
HID-look headlamps & hyperwhite fogs. Autozone rubber antenna, blue aluminum valve stem caps. (not much...but it's a start!)
Lots of mods planned...waiting for the $$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$!

·
Registered
778 Posts
well as for the IS, the current/previous models have been all automatic i believe. and i would definetly go N/A. dependablity and you get way more respect.

------------------
2000 sentra se
pp, 5spd

·
Not your parent(s)
3,291 Posts
actually, going turbo does not require a rebuild, unless your brand new engine is already unstable. running 7-9 psi on a stock sr20de can be done and has been for years. no problems or reliability issues either, other than driver error.

naturally, if you want to run 10+ psi, then a rebuild would be suggested. pistons that decrease your compression (forged) would be a first step to general high boost safety. at 8.5 to 1 you could run 15-17 psi all day long w/no detrimental effects. (this assumes the engine was built correctly and all installs were done the same.)

------------------
the moderator formerly known as 2000SE
MY SITE

·
Time Warp
1,141 Posts
Turbo. An old highschool buddy and I traded our cars for a day once. My modded Civic EX for his modded Eclipse GS-T. Talk about shock. :D If you've ever felt the spool of a turbo... mmmMmmMmmM!

------------------
Jae
'00 SE w/ stuff
Seeking SOHC VTEC once again...

·
Still Faster Then You...
1,465 Posts
LEE...yeah you are right but u have to remember there is always the chance of something going wrong. in my case people have been running 140 shot of NOS on their Sr20 motors forever, but i go to a 75 shot and blow up my head so. there is a difference in the heads on the newer SR20de then the old ones, i am not sure what exactly it is but i know its different, well for a turbo its your call

------------------
2001 sentra SE 2.0
w/ perforance package,
DTM muffler, custom cold air intake, NOS/ZEX hybrid Nitrous system 55 shot, HID bulbs all around. Ti vavle springs and retainers, Port and polished head, ported intake manifold, bored TB, port matched to gaskets, 5 angle vavle job. Eibach Sportline springs. x15.5 @ 88(STOCK) 14.8 @ 94(on the bottle),

·
Fogey
4,298 Posts
<BLOCKQUOTE><font size="1" face="Verdana, Arial">quote:</font><HR>Originally posted by Chip:
LEE...yeah you are right but u have to remember there is always the chance of something going wrong. in my case people have been running 140 shot of NOS on their Sr20 motors forever, but i go to a 75 shot and blow up my head so. there is a difference in the heads on the newer SR20de then the old ones, i am not sure what exactly it is but i know its different, well for a turbo its your call

<HR></BLOCKQUOTE>

You blew your head because you ran lean. A lean condition as caused when the fuel was not increased for the amount of HP you were running. A 70 shot needs to be compensated by running extra fuel. This CANNOT be accomplished without changing the injectors and fuel pump and then having some way to control that extra flow of fuel. That is why your engine blew up not because of a change in engine design. There is no one to blame but yourself Chip.

As for having to rebuild your engine to run a turbo that is wrong. just plain wrong. As long as your compression is good and your engine is in good working order you can run a turbo. You just need to make sure you do it right by making sure you are running more fuel and that the engine is running the proper A/F mixture at all times. There are many people who are running at least 20 psi on stock engines. Its just a matter of doing things right. Things that have been tried and true.

------------------
2000 Sentra SE performance package (radium)
Sunroof/Leather/Tint/Gas cap holder
SMC Short shifter

·
Registered
297 Posts
Lee is the man, that is all I have to say, I just hope I go turbo before him. heheh!. Well all I have to say is to GO TURBO!(Or Supercharged<----too much money). The only thing I consider to be cheating or an advantage is NOS, but Turbo's are the ish!, and if you have turbo on your sr20de powerplant then more props for you. Chip you should have gotten JWT injectors man, but I feel you man that must have sucked(well at least you learned something). A couple of people have run around 20psi of boost on stock american sr20de powerplants with no problems(over 400hp<---wow!). That is only 300hp away from my goal, right now I am like 550hp away from there, but soon I will be 500hp away, very very soon. Go ahead and do everything N/A, but once you get there you'll want more -trust me-. Just make sure you build up N/A with Turbo in mind, I am going to go with forged 8.0:1 compression pistons for about 8months to a year before I can afford turbo. Oh well!, that's life. Later

------------------
formerly known as JCGator42, 2k1 Nissan Sentra SE w/PP mods: Custom Aluminum Mesh Front Grille by Myself, Cold Air Intake by Hotshot, and Stromung Cat-Back Exhaust, and Unorthodox Underdrive 4 pulley set(in less than 2 weeks) [email protected]

·
Registered
149 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
I wanna stick to N/A and like sr20reNaISSANce mentioned MORE RESPECT. But BOOST is cool. Esp when you roll next to a honda and you sample the blow off SWEEEEEEET! I think the respect issue goes both ways. In my mind I would give more to a fast N/A.

------------------
B-15 SE, 17X7 Kosei Racing Senekas, Sumitomo HTRZ2. Kaizo Speed Gear

·
Registered
149 Posts
Discussion Starter #16
getting MORE RESPECT is subjective. There isnt an NA sr20 cranking out more than 200hp. I would go with turbo because thats what this motor is intended for. There is a $hitload more power that can be had with a turbo. The cost and power of a custom built turbo demands respect. If i had the cash i'd do it without a second thought.

------------------
*Josh*
*myb15*

·
Registered
5 Posts
Jo$H said:
getting MORE RESPECT is subjective. There isnt an NA sr20 cranking out more than 200hp. I would go with turbo because thats what this motor is intended for. There is a $hitload more power that can be had with a turbo. The cost and power of a custom built turbo demands respect. If i had the cash i'd do it without a second thought.

------------------
*Josh*
*myb15*
You got a point there. Hey is F-Max gonna make a kit for our cars???

808Sentra A.K.A TSR14

·
Not your parent(s)
3,291 Posts
just think if you were already pushing 170-180 NA and hit it with a 7-8 psi shot of spool? YUM!

·
Registered
297 Posts
sounds good

yeah it would be really nice to tune your car to around 200hp in N/A status then go with an F-Max kit with a .63A/R TO3/T4 turbo and run like 10-12psi all day long. I will do that eventually, but for now I am still trying to get my car in the shop to get fixed/modded, I will let yall know how it goes, later.

·
Registered
605 Posts
SR20DE - ours
SR20DET- JDM. Same basic design

It was made for turbo.

(please do not use racial slurs -david)

[Edited by david on 05-04-2001 at 10:43 AM]

1 - 20 of 24 Posts