B15 Sentra Forum banner

1 - 20 of 21 Posts

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I have a '04 1.8S that is not garaged :(

I've noticed that when I lower the windows there is resistance to the windows going down. Upon closer inspection, it seems the window seals are melting and sticking to the glass. I have pictures below of pax side front and rear door windows, but the problem is on all four windows in the car. Anyone having the same problem?

http://web.ics.purdue.edu/~wgalecki/Sentra/pax_front_glass.jpg

http://web.ics.purdue.edu/~wgalecki/Sentra/pax_front_seal.jpg

http://web.ics.purdue.edu/~wgalecki/Sentra/pax_rear_glass.jpg

http://web.ics.purdue.edu/~wgalecki/Sentra/pax_rear_seal.jpg

·
Registered
5 Posts
I have the same problem too... mine is Un-garaged as well. My windows are tinted, but it still has the "melting residue." However, it doesn't really cause the windows to stick. Since u're still under warranty, run it by the dealership if you have time, see if MAYBE they will change the seals. (I have no idea if they will really do this, but hey, it's worth a try...if you have the time.) Good luck.

·
200,000?
1,448 Posts
i have the same problem. had it both on my 2002 and now my 2004. its just bad quality control. :(

·
Lebowski Urban Achiever
275 Posts
Funny I saw this thread as I was getting ready to post about my window seals leaving residue on the glass. The thing is, I regularly (about every 3 months) spray my window/trunk/hood seals with silicon spray hoping to preserve them and prevent them from sticking when I slide down the window. I think we should all look at some sort of silicone grease/jelly to put on these things as the spray seems to have some stuff in it that dissolves the rubber.

Any ideas on where to get some aerosol-free spray or silicone gel??

·
Engaged! :)
2,687 Posts
I have the same thing... I ignore it.. :p

·
Registered
156 Posts
I have the same problem but it's only dirt ressidue at the top of my window's. i dont worry about it cause it's not a big deal.

·
EVOlving
2,059 Posts
McGarrett said:
Funny I saw this thread as I was getting ready to post about my window seals leaving residue on the glass. The thing is, I regularly (about every 3 months) spray my window/trunk/hood seals with silicon spray hoping to preserve them and prevent them from sticking when I slide down the window. I think we should all look at some sort of silicone grease/jelly to put on these things as the spray seems to have some stuff in it that dissolves the rubber.

Any ideas on where to get some aerosol-free spray or silicone gel??
I've heard that silicone is actually bad for rubber in the long run. Not sure how, I'll have to look into it. Also, make sure you don't use silicone under the hood. It will kill your O2 sensors very quickly if sucked in the intake.

·
She was so young...
254 Posts
I have the same problem too! I didn't realize the seals were melting though, I just thought it was gunk that was building up.

If you want to clean it off, use Stoner's Invisible Glass (available @ most auto part stores) and a microfiber towel or newspaper. Took it right off.

·
She was so young...
254 Posts
psushoe said:
I've heard that silicone is actually bad for rubber in the long run. Not sure how, I'll have to look into it. Also, make sure you don't use silicone under the hood. It will kill your O2 sensors very quickly if sucked in the intake.
Oops, didn't see this before my other reply.

Silicone is awful for rubber. It draws moisture out and promotes cracking and drying. That's why Armor-All products are so awful. (Most people still use them, but there have been studies showing long-term effects. I'll see if I can find them)

I dress all my rubber seals with 303 Aerospace Protectant now, but I used Lexol Vinylex in the past, which worked well too.

·
King of OT
5,210 Posts
That's what that is.....I have it to on my 04 1.8. I was like, what the hell got all over my windows! It was a biitch to clean off too.

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
I tried mineral spirits (paint thinnner) and some elbow grease and that got it off. I should have tried a razor blade which would have required less effort.

But the issue remains: Why are the window seals melting in the first place? I'm definitely going to the dealer very soon to find out what their stance on the issue is.

·
EVOlving
2,059 Posts
taylor04 said:
I dress all my rubber seals with 303 Aerospace Protectant now, but I used Lexol Vinylex in the past, which worked well too.

303 Aerospace Protectant is awesome... too bad its so expensive :(

·
Registered
4,958 Posts
psushoe said:
303 Aerospace Protectant is awesome... too bad its so expensive :(
Where can it be purchased? I don't recall ever seeing it anywhere... Iis it safe on tint, and would it be safe on vynil such as the dash, or will it make it slick as if it was a slilicone spray?

·
She was so young...
254 Posts
lawngn0mex said:
Where can it be purchased? I don't recall ever seeing it anywhere... Iis it safe on tint, and would it be safe on vynil such as the dash, or will it make it slick as if it was a slilicone spray?
It can be purchased online. I've never seen it in stores.

I buy my products from http://autopia-carcare.com/index.html. Great products that are hard to find, good prices and fast shipping. Anyway, back on topic...

It is safe for use on rubber, rubber seals, vinyl, clear vinyl windows, vinyl convertible tops, tonneaus, car bras and coated leather interiors. I wouldn't use it on tint though.

·
Registered
4,958 Posts
taylor04 said:
It can be purchased online. I've never seen it in stores.

I buy my products from http://autopia-carcare.com/index.html. Great products that are hard to find, good prices and fast shipping. Anyway, back on topic...

It is safe for use on rubber, rubber seals, vinyl, clear vinyl windows, vinyl convertible tops, tonneaus, car bras and coated leather interiors. I wouldn't use it on tint though.
ah reason being is those window seals touch the tint. :(

·
She was so young...
254 Posts
1 - 20 of 21 Posts