B15 Sentra Forum banner
1 - 14 of 14 Posts
G

·
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Looks like we lost some content with the change over.

Well, I got my exhaust installed lastnight. It took just over an hour for the install, working in my driveway with the car on ramps in the dark. (good working conditions...I know. haha) Everything went smoothly. I think the biggest problem I encountered was trying to get the Stromung midpipe over the rear axle. On a lift this would be no problem, but with the car not far off the ground, it became quite a task. After about 10 minutes of wiggling and adjusting I got it over the axle. The Cat bolts came off with no hassle on my car, but your mileage may vary. I've had the muffler off so many times that I could do it with my eyes closed. haha.

Everything fit great, and the muffler looks perfect. It's nicely Centered with the tips flush with the bumper cover. It integrates with the rest of the car really well. There is adequate clearance everywhere(the stromung muffler is acutally smaller than the stocker.)

The sound of the exhaust is wonderful! When cold, the muffler is pretty quiet. I guess this muffler really needs to be at operating temp. before it's at it's best sound wise. Anyway, it's nice and deep and smooth. The sound in the car is still quiet and unintrusive, however with the windows down you can really hear the mufflers sound. It's great! I drove around with the stereo off all day.
This has to be one of the better 4 cylinder exhaust sounds I've heard. Not ricey at all.

The biggest power gains seem to be in the midrange. Between 3K and 5K there is more snap than before. The car has better passing power on the highway in 5th. It's nice. Top end power is improved, but not to the degree of the midrange. I noticed no loss of low end power.

To sum up, I love it! The install was a breeze, and it has made my car much more fun to drive. It looks great, sounds great and has added performance in an RPM range where we drive the car everyday.

------------------
2001 SE, P/P, 5 spd Cloud White.
MODS:
- Stromung Stainless Cat-back.
- Hotshot CAI
Click HERE To Visit My Website!

·
Registered
190 Posts
Sounds great Maxx. I will know exactly what're you talking about in a few short hours (why else would I be awake at 625 in the morning). I'm off to the shop my brother works at to get this baby installed! Cannot wait to drive to work and put it through its paces.

One last thanks is due I beleive for getting this deal together for us.

THANKS MAX!!!!!!

------------------
2001 Blackout SE w/ PP, sunroof, debadged, Stromung exhaust, more to come...

·
Registered
3,122 Posts
unfortunetly I have to wait till saturday or sunday morning but i am just so happy on the quality of this whole set-up the pipe is clean and so is the muffler....Those tips are alot bigger than stock it's seems

But I always would like to give Maxx one last Thanks.....Thanks MAXX

Also if Stromung Is reading this Thanks you guys rule!!!!!

------------------

CAR:
Black 2k SE Performance/package

MODS:
17x7 Konig-Caffeine's ,Stillen front spoiler and pop-cone intake,Aluminum dash kit,Remote starter,35% Tint,Aluminum Pedal Kit,APC Super white headlights and fogs and front and rear turn signals,Ventshade-ventvisors,Custom Front Grille,Stromung cat-back,Place Racing CAI (in the mail)......

*CLICK HERE FOR MY CAR PICS*

***My Website***

·
Registered
3,122 Posts
Hey I was thinking of putting the Stromung sticker on my bumper right over the exhaust,,,,does anyone think it'll look tacky????

------------------

CAR:

MODS:
17x7 Konig-Caffeine's ,Stillen front spoiler and pop-cone intake,Aluminum dash kit,Remote starter,35% Tint,Aluminum Pedal Kit,APC Super white headlights and fogs and front and rear turn signals,Ventshade-ventvisors,Custom Front Grille,Stromung cat-back,Place Racing CAI (in the mail)......

***My Website***

·
Registered
190 Posts
Hey Styling, if you think it'll look good there then do it. Myself, I won't be putting any stickers on my car (except b15sentra ones ;) ).
I got the exhaust on and I wasn't all that happy with the overall fit on my car, so I'll have to go to Meineke to work out some bugs I think may be causing the problems. Did everyone who installed the exhaust have almost perfect fitment? My midpipe doesn't sit where the old one ran close along the chassis, and also the most extreme angle bend up where the pipe goes over the axle appears crush bent. That sorta Pizzed me off a bit when I took the overwrap off the midpipe to do the install. I think that this lone bend is the cause of all my problems. If Meineke can reduce the bend a bit I beleive this will set everything right. Oh yeah the Muffler tips aren't centered in the little dip in the bumper, and the left tip is rubbing up against the bumper.
Sorry for the ranting long post guys just had to get it outta my system and maybe get a little sympathy (fat chance right).
Anyway all the whininess took a back seat when I drove my car to work after the install. It sounds GOOD!!! And like Max I turned the stereo off to listen to my exhaust as I worked the exhaust over a bit. AH...fun!

Ok guys I'll check you all later, enjoy yourselves!

------------------

G

·
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
The Exhaust midpipe won't run exactly where the old one did. I don't think it is supposed to. The area around the rear axle is very tight, and I think it had to make adjustments to get the larger diameter pipe to fit in the area. The difference wasn't that big on my car. It's still under all the heat shielding and what not. However, your muffler should have the tips centered on the cutout in the bumper cover. Something is wrong. ONe of your mounting hooks might have been bent or something. My muffler sits perfectly centered with about 1" between the tips and the bottom of the bumper.

There are no bends on my midpipe that looked crush bent. Everything was mandrel. Crush bends are very noticeable. I would seriously doubt that anything like that would have been done on your midpipe.

------------------
MODS:
- Hotshot CAI

"I always wanted to be somebody, but I should have been more specific."

·
Registered
190 Posts
Max I am by no means trying to bash Stromung, when they went out of their way to make this exhaust available to us.
But that bend appears to have been mandrel bent but then maybe because whoever was doing the bending didn't get the proper angle and used some other method to get it to where it was supposed to be. See this specific bend has a "ripple" on top and bottom of the piping at the bend. From what I understand this is indicative of a crush bend. If I can get a muffler shop to somehow lessen the angle of the bend it should push the rear (straight part) of the midpipe back into the heat shielded area, and the the muffler tips should shift to a more centered position at the bumper.
Also my brother (a mechanic) who helped me install this thing in a shop, had to bend some of the heat shielding up out of the way of the midpipe to install it. Specifically the area where the pipe moves from going down the center of the car to where it moves up over the rear axle.
I should have taken pictures so that I could post them to people.
Really I'm not trying to bash anyone because I realize that something like this wouldn't fit exactly as stock, I just expected a little bit better fit. Really I'm not one of those whiny pukes that picks every damn thing apart. My car has rattles, the belts whine (i still need to get that fixed) and not once will you see a post on hear with me bitching about it.
Also I did commend the fun sound and little extra ummpf the exhaust has given me. Hopefully the muffler shop will set the bend right and everything will be lovely and grand as far as my cars exhaust goes.
Okay, once again thanx to Max for getting us in on the deal, and for Stromung making it in the first place. Except for the one problem the entire system is a beautiful piece of art and I love having it on my car.

------------------

G

·
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
Nite- Call Scott. Something doesn't sound right. I didn't have to move or bend anything. Something may have happened to your pipe during shipment. Explain to him what is going on. He is a super nice guy. You shouldn't have to adjust anything to get it to fit. His # is 714-596-2237. Call him before you change anything else on the midpipe. He might be able to help you out in getting one that is right.

------------------
MODS:
- Hotshot CAI

"I always wanted to be somebody, but I should have been more specific."

·
Registered
190 Posts
Max,

That is an option I should have considered. I just feel bad complaining about something that someone went out of the way to make for me. But I will see what he has to say, and go from there. Thanks for the number, I never did save it..oops.

Talk to ya later.

------------------

·
Registered
446 Posts
so the last bend isn't crush right!?! BTW, I have had a LOT of comments on how good my car sounds with PR CAI and Stromung Exhaust. Now if I only had the b15sentra.net +5hp sticker I'd be set!

-iLL

------------------
2001 Sentra SE w/ Performance Package, Place Racing CAI, Custom Grille,Pioneer DEHP 2000 + 4x TS-1675's

·
Registered
190 Posts
I know its probably confusing you guys with all the info I'm pumping out on the situation. From what I understand none of the bends should be crush bent, but one of my bends displays signs of being crush bent. More specifically two "ripples" along the top and bottom of the bend that are noticeable by sight. It is this bend that I feel is causing the inconsistancies I reported having regarding the fitment of my pipe and muffler. Hopefully I will hear back from Stromung soon, or barring that will be able to get it fixed by a muffler shop!

Regardless I enjoy revving the engine while I'm out and about just to hear the exhaust! Hopefully that tip resting against the bumper doesn't cause any melting. ::crossing fingers::
I may end up taking the thing off (oh the humanity!) just til I figure everything out, but I'd really hate to do that.

Everything should work out though. Everyone have fun with their exhaust though. Oh and Ill great times on the track, give em hell on your next runs!

------------------

·
Registered
3,122 Posts
I was just looking at my mid-pipe which is sitting right in front of me and my pipe is 100% Mandrel bent no crush bends what so ever.....but as far as the fitment I couldn't comment on that cause I am putting it on saturday....

------------------

CAR:

MODS:

***My Website***

·
Registered
747 Posts
So everyone who has them is extremely happy with hp and sound? Not too loud right?

------------------
2001 Black Sentra SE with Performance Package, JWT pop cone intake, clear turn signal bulbs, razo carbon pedals, neon cable interior kit :eek:) CUSTOM grille

1 - 14 of 14 Posts