B15 Sentra Forum banner

1 - 20 of 66 Posts

·
Registered
417 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Well, I've recently begun to understand why people older than myself always used to talk about how things were "in their day." I had dinner recently with my fiancee's cousin, who just turned 18 and just started college in D.C. I was in D.C. attending a conference, and one of the speakers was talking about the Challenger disaster in 1986. I remember that clearly, because I was home sick from school that day watching the launch on TV. I remember Reagan's speech, and a lot of other details. So I'm talking with her about this like she'd actually remember it, and notice she's looking a bit hazy about it. That's when it hit me...while I was watching it happen on TV, she was learning to walk. By the way, I was born in '78 (so I'm sure I'm making some people feel REALLY old :))

Yesterday I was talking to an 11 yr. old kid in my martial arts class about Playstation games, and computers and MP3's. That means he was born in '92 (I'm just now beginning to accept that people have actually been born since the Gulf War). To him, old-school gaming means N64, or Quake running on a Pentium II. Holy crap! To him, graphics have always been what they are today! I'm feeling like a geezer, cuz in MY DAY I watched big blocks shoot little blocks back and forth on my Atari, and dammit, I liked it! I actually had to use some imagination! And MP3's weren't always there! When I was a kid, if you wanted to steal music, you had to wear a baggy coat into the music store! Those were the days when Zelda had "rad graphics," Oliver North didn't have his own TV show, and you could depend on your American car to self-destruct after 500 miles. The Lamborghini Countach on my bedroom wall looked like a Transformer toy, but hey, that was pretty cool!

These little bastards don't know how good they've got it! :D

So there's my rant. I understand why the guy I work with talks about stuff I never saw, then says "My God, you were born after the first Star Wars!" I guess some day I'll fondly recall my cool Spec-V the way my dad remembers his '68 whatever-the-hell-it-was. And my kids will just smile and nod.

Anyone else out there feeling old yet? :)

·
Registered
1 Posts
I'm also born in 1978 and feel the same way you do man :) It's all good though because I cna talk to the young ones about the good old days.

·
eyeforaneyetoothforatooth
980 Posts
shanno575 said:
i was born in 82, so i don't feel that way :D
yet lol
wait til your 25 and your boobs start sagging

·
eyeforaneyetoothforatooth
980 Posts
shanno575 said:
ohhhhh i can't wait! now i have something to look forward to
Don't worry, then you'll be a MILF!

·
Registered
417 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
Yep, it's time for us geezers to start taking Centrum Silver!

'82? My fiancee was born in '81 (she doesn't remember the Challenger much either, but at least she remembers it happening).

Know what else? The X-Box finally made me understand a complaint my parents had back with the old NES. The controller has too damn many buttons!

·
Registered
1 Posts
Remember coleco we had one of those and it had way to many buttons, 2 side buttons, one joystick in the middle and a whole keypad with numbers 1-9 and * and # Now thats way more buttons then the Xbox :)

·
f0rum z0mbie
781 Posts
You kids are funny. Try being born in 1972!! I was kissing girls on the playground while your moms were cursing your dads during labor with you. :D

·
Designated Drinker
2,416 Posts
man. wheres ADC...hes gonna eat this thread up

·
Registered
417 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
Jars2672 said:
You kids are funny. Try being born in 1972!! I was kissing girls on the playground while your moms were cursing your dads during labor with you. :D
Woah! They had playgrounds back then!?

·
Poopra King
7,072 Posts
Jars2672 said:
Wut up!!! All the way '72!

Atari 2600, Coleco Vision, the A.D.A.M. personal computer. WKRP In Cincinnatti, "Plop plop, fiz fiz, oh what a relief it is", Sanka Coffee, American Hostages, Welcome Back Cotter, Dr Who. Ahh the memories.

·
Canyon junkie! ( ^o^) <3
4,332 Posts
1975 here. I still remember Jimmy Carter! :p

·
SHIFT_my nuts
1,862 Posts
SR20DE_MAN said:
1975 here. I still remember Jimmy Carter! :p
i still remember fat albert and punky brewster! and...gasp! the smurfs!!!! ...and who used to like the Snorkels (sp?) I also remember when GI Joe was drawn well and Harmony Gold first released Robotech to the US -- and when the cool cartoons were on Saturdays AND school mornings at ungodly hours (5-6am Hawaii time)

...i also remember when the only stupid boy-band i had to b!tch about was New Kids on the Block.

·
f0rum z0mbie
781 Posts
pituala said:
Wut up!!! All the way '72!

Atari 2600, Coleco Vision, the A.D.A.M. personal computer. WKRP In Cincinnatti, "Plop plop, fiz fiz, oh what a relief it is", Sanka Coffee, American Hostages, Welcome Back Cotter, Dr Who. Ahh the memories.
LOL - Sanka!

Remember this one:

"How do you get your shirts so clean Mr. Lee?"
"Ancient Chinese secret..."
"My husband, some hotshot. Here's his ancient Chinese secret... Calgon!"

1 - 20 of 66 Posts