B15 Sentra Forum banner
1 - 20 of 20 Posts

·
Registered
1,540 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I just got home from my very first autocross. I was so scared when I got there and had second thoughts about it, but just like drag racing, I am now addicted. It was so cool. The guy put me in the wrong class (ESL) and I should have been in STSL so I was the only one in my class therefore making me win lol. My best time was, I think, around 27.1 even though they messed up and posted a 25.6. which was really a 28.6. The fastest that I noticed in the first heat was around 24.4 and that was by a black Audi S4. I did have to leave early b.c my relatives are flying in tonight and I had to go meet them at the airport. I would like to say thanks to all the nice people I met and I hope to see them all at the next one.

Here is a rough( really out of perportion) sketch of the course. It was pretty tight since the lot was pretty small.

·
Registered
1,540 Posts
Discussion Starter · #2 ·
51 views and not a single person responds. I see how you guys are. j/k :) I just wanted to share that I actually had the balls to go out and try autocrossing. Now I will be counting down the days until the next one. I love it so much. Anyways I just wanted to share. Not a big deal that no one had anything to say about it lol.

·
Registered
331 Posts
I know how u feel, I've done some SOLO a long time ago (8 years for 2 seasons).

I would like to start again, but I,m travelling too much for my job..

But congratulations for your 1rst, it si the best way to learn how to control your car!!!

Good luck and enjoy!:)

·
Registered
311 Posts
I want to try autocrossing SOOOO bad... but I'm afraid my little cheap Firestones would explode :( . Sounds like you had fun, and congrads on not killing any cones!

·
Registered
1,540 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
You should really try it. I would have never thought about it if it Sean hadn't told me about the one this weekend. Turns out that him and his bro didn't end up going but I don't know if they were planning on it or not. I had so much fun anyways and I met a bunch of nice people. The tech inspection guy was like, uh you are in the wrong class,but if no one complains then just stay here. So I did since I was the only one in that class lol. He also didn't belive that my car came with a strut brace. I was like ,here is the window sticker do you belive me now? lol

And I was running on my stock tires that have around 21,000 miles on them and they did ok I guess .

·
Registered
300 Posts
samo said:
I want to try autocrossing SOOOO bad... but I'm afraid my little cheap Firestones would explode :( . Sounds like you had fun, and congrads on not killing any cones!
i know how u feel, i have stock 13" 175/75 michelins.....

·
Registered
92 Posts
A friend of mine who also drives a focus like me(but he has a 5speed) autocrosses
he loves it, he goes up against civic SI's and Sentra SE's all the time, he says the only car faster then the focus is the sentra, the SI's cant even hope to keep up

I really want to go but my focus is an auto and i don't think the auto shifter can take it, but my friend does say that autos do compete, that all I would need to do is keep it in 2nd :D

one of these days I will try it, looks like so much fun

·
Registered
1,540 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
sinner said:
what do you mean strut bar? are the alot of things required to auto-X?

You just need a car with tires for autocross. You can use most any car and it doesn't have to have anything done to it. My strut bar is just the bar that connects the 2 front struts to make it a little more unified when going around corners. A lot of cars come with them stock now,but I guess he didn't realize that.

·
Registered
222 Posts
I'm dying to go autocross! Here in Memphis we've got a drag track that's open to the public every Thursday night....but I have no idea where to autocross!!! Does anybody in the Mid-South area know? I'd be willing to drive a couple hundred miles to run!

·
coming soon
14,392 Posts
what did you all do to your engines before you autocrossed? anything ? or did you leave it stock? I have a GXE 5 speed, think it'd do any good? I'd love to find an autocross here, but i dunno how to go about looking. I live in FL

·
Registered
100 Posts
That's very cool!

Sounds like you are doing alright on the stocker tires.

So what's next? Road racing?

·
Registered
1,540 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
Only thing I have done to my engine is CAI and advanced to 19 degrees. But thats it.

I think I did pretty well for a first timer. I started to go kinda rice b.c I left the #'s on my car until today lol. I thought they looked kinda cool.

Road racing sounds hella fun. I don't know where I could get into that around here. I will have to do a little research.

·
Registered Loser
6,883 Posts
Good deal Amy, I think I'll have to go out and try my hand a bit. I'd probably hit all the cones! :D

·
Registered
5 Posts
Nismo_Girl_2001 said:

Road racing sounds hella fun. I don't know where I could get into that around here. I will have to do a little research.
Amy, Amy, Amy. All you had to do was ask :) . There are track days at http://www.gingermanraceway.com/ in South Haven all the time. Check out http://www.cgimotorsports.com/main.html for driver schools most of which are on Mondays or http://www.speedtrialusa.com/ for regular track days on weekends. I have been to events there as a spectator and passanger but I haven't drive it yet because of helmet requirements are snell sa95 or better. I fixed that this week :) (bought a new helmet). I am good to go now.

For you future autocrossers. Your car is only 10% of what autocrossing is about. Its a drivers game, not what you drive. Learn to drive with what you have then modify and reap the benifits. No matter what it is Bring it and try autocrossing you will love it. I have seen video of even firetrucks autocrossing on the net. If a firetruck can do it, so can you.

·
Registered
1,540 Posts
Discussion Starter · #17 · (Edited)
Thanks Sean. I should have known you would have the answer. You seem to know so much. I just feel bad about buggin ya all the time lol.

I know that I am definantly going to start doing autocross at every chance I get. After all pratice makes you better. I like draggin but autocross is more of a challenge plus its not all about HP in the autocross game.

·
Car Noob
1,826 Posts
Heya, Nismo! I just looked into SCCA Solo II, and was actually thinking about it. I'm in NoCal and it looks like the closest area they race at by me is Sacramento (about 2 hour drive). I'll probably do the afternoon runs so I don't have to wake up 5 am to get there. >_<

It looks like you did a lot to your cars, and I've GOT to get the $$$ to do stuff like that to my car. ^_^

I'd rather keep my car looking stock (at least). BTW, it sounds that with the lack of mods, the best way to do it now is what you did: CAI and advanced timing. Wouldn't that get your car into the Street Prepared catagory? Do they know about the advanced timing?

I gotta check those schedules. :) My problem isn't being scared of it... my problem is being lazy. ^_^

Good luck! And if you can, post some pics from the track!

·
Car Noob
1,826 Posts
1 - 20 of 20 Posts