B15 Sentra Forum banner

1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
129 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Do circular mufflers tend to be ricier in sound than oval ones. Or does it depend from application to application.

·
Bow to your SE GOD
4,702 Posts
This is my $.02

Many race mufflers are the large, single-tip type beause they pose the least backpressure.
Dual-tip mufflers offer a tiny bit more resistance, which can also help quiet the exhaust.
A straight-through, round canister style exhaust with a large, single tip will definately be louder than an oval-shaped, dual-tip muffler, all else being equal.

·
Registered
129 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
my roommate has an First Gen Rx7 and He has a dual tip oval magnaflow and i have the same people do a custom exhaust on my Spec. But i have a circular and mine has been quieter and more ricey than his. That was why I was wondering.

·
Registered
129 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
I put my header on last night. Now let me tell you. because of my muffler a round 6 inch magnaflow. I officially have the riciest car in history. It sounds like poop. I ordered an oval muffler which i will install on thursday.

Just wanted to warn everyone who was thinking of going with a straight through muffler.

·
No more Spec
2,549 Posts
Its not the muffler its the resonator. A header w/ ANY muffler and no resonator will sound bad. The resonator deepens the sound as well as quiet it some. Go w/ whatever muffler you like the best and a BIG *** magnaflow resonator, like a 22" and you should be happy w/ the sound. My muffler is a magnaflow and with my AEBS header it sounds real nice.

·
Registered
7 Posts
YELLOWV said:
Its not the muffler its the resonator. A header w/ ANY muffler and no resonator will sound bad. The resonator deepens the sound as well as quiet it some. Go w/ whatever muffler you like the best and a BIG *** magnaflow resonator, like a 22" and you should be happy w/ the sound. My muffler is a magnaflow and with my AEBS header it sounds real nice.
At the risk of sounding stupid... where's the resonator go and what kind of price range are they in?

·
No more Spec
2,549 Posts
The resonator is mounted about a foot after the cat. It is basically just a round muffler. They cost about $40 or so.

·
Registered
34 Posts
i put a tanabe on my spec with two 2.5 inch/16 inch long resinators. it sounded deep and it had that loud turbo sounding woosh. no rice what so ever.

·
Registered
773 Posts
no resonator here. round style muffler thats straight through, im affraid to put on a header because 1. its going to be loud as hell 2. its gonna sound like a honda coffee can muffler. Weed wackers unite!

1 - 10 of 10 Posts