B15 Sentra Forum banner
1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
603 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Have any of you guys that experienced the ultra-common steering pop found the cure? Mine has around 37k, started doing it at 22k, new rack under warranty didn't cure it. The other night I had my gf get in the car and turn the wheel back and forth on an uneven driveway duplicating the noise while I crawled underneath with a flashlight. My old theory was that the noise came from a bad strut top bearing. No dice there - the noise was definitely coming from the subframe/steering rack area. Not from the tie-rod ends either, or the ball joint. I've had the front end apart before and the BJs are nice and tight. Every once in a while, when the pop occured, I could see the steering rack move in a funny way. I'm starting to think steering rack bushings, but I can't for the life of me figure out why that would be. Incidentally, the rear control arm bushing moves a LOT when you steer, probably a design feature to eliminate some torque steer. That wasn't where the noise came from, unfortunately.

·
oil leaks blow
2,389 Posts
Hopefully you'll find an answer. Mine has done this since last Dec. I still have no clue as to where the noise is coming from.

·
Registered pill popper
121 Posts
I'm having the same F^cken problem. :mad:

-Eddie

·
Southern Shift Racing
2,511 Posts
I've had this noise since the 3rd week I owned my Spec back in Dec of 02. :rolleyes: Brought it to the dealership 3 times and they couldn't track it down. I've done the same thing you have as well as a friend too. I'm betting its something to do with the stock FSB. I only get the pop under certain conditions, and it just so happens to occur when there is a certain loading then unloading put on the FSB, almost like the bushings are not snug enough or they are caked with dirt and pebbles something binds then lets loose under the right conditions. Mine rarely makes the noise, but when it does that usually means its time to clean out the area around the bushings and lubricate them. When I do this the noise ceases for a while, but it does come back.

I will be interested to see how changing out my FSB sway bar with the Eibach set this fall will effect the problem. My guess is that it will help to all but eliminate the issue. Too many people have had their steering racks replaced only to have the noise come back, so I'm betting its not the rack, but rather the FSB.

·
Theory freak learning...
3,920 Posts

·
Registered
603 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
My rack was replaced under warranty with no change in noise or frequency.

I have a non-stock front sway bar (Stillen 26mm). It made the noise before and after the sway bar swap with no change in noise or frequency either.

It may be the rack bushings - I'll call Energy and see if they are planning on making some.

·
oil leaks blow
2,389 Posts
We need a full bushing kit made for our car. (anyone know somebody at Energy suspension?)

I hate when my car pops, thumps when I drive. Even with the radio on loud I can hear it.

·
Registered
1,203 Posts
apparently this is "completely normal all sentras do it" it is just the sound the rack makes, it is not loose yadda yadda yadda....

That's the explanation I get... I've had them check it a few times now so I don't give a **** anymore... I only have a year left on this lease.. so if it breaks.. it breaks.... I couldn't care less now.... it's covered under my warranty so let nissan eat it when the thing dies...

·
Registered
881 Posts
ive been having the same problem too. It started all of a sudden one time and was very frequent, but not its seems to have reduced frequency and i dont hear it all the time. I just hope that one day i won't completely lose steering and plow into one of the many canals that florida has. If someone finds the cause/solution plz post it.

1 - 13 of 13 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.