B15 Sentra Forum banner
1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered Loser
6,883 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hey Gene, what's the verdict with the ECU? I know I'm dreaming, but I wanted to see if they could tune one for my Stromung, PR CAI, and possibly HS Headers. I think I'll try giving them a call also on Monday.

------------------
Marvin
-2000 Sentra SE w/Performance Package, Sunroof, 5 Spd, Avalanche
Current mods: Gas Cap Holder
Future mods:pR CAI, Stromung Cat-Back Exhaust System
-Previous Owner 1995 Sentra GXE, w/mods, Auto, Maroon

·
Registered
3,122 Posts
<BLOCKQUOTE><font size="1" face="Verdana, Arial">quote:</font><HR>Originally posted by DarKsiDe_SE:
They wont be getting around to the b15 ecu til they finish the 98-99's.

<HR></BLOCKQUOTE>
exactly they wouldn't be planning anything until they are done with the B14's first,,,,at least that's what they told me thru e-mail.....

------------------

CAR:
Black 2k SE Performance/package

MODS:
17x7 Konig-Caffeine's ,Stillen front spoiler and pop-cone intake,Aluminum dash kit,Remote starter,35% Tint,Aluminum Pedal Kit,APC Super white headlights and fogs and front and rear turn signals,Ventshade-ventvisors,Custom Front Grille,Stromung cat-back(in the mail)......

*CLICK HERE FOR MY CAR PICS*

·
Registered Loser
6,883 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
<BLOCKQUOTE><font size="1" face="Verdana, Arial">quote:</font><HR>Originally posted by DarKsiDe_SE:
They wont be getting around to the b15 ecu til they finish the 98-99's.

<HR></BLOCKQUOTE>

Man, that sucks.. I want to unleash my power after the exhaust, intake, and pulley mods.

------------------
Marvin
-2000 Sentra SE w/Performance Package, Sunroof, 5 Spd, Avalanche
Current mods: Gas Cap Holder
Future mods:pR CAI, Stromung Cat-Back Exhaust System
-Previous Owner 1995 Sentra GXE, w/mods, Auto, Maroon

·
Registered
124 Posts
Dude mine redlines at 7100 right now. The JWT ECU gives you a 7800 redline.

------------------
Ryan 97 Black SE-R
aim Stea1th727

·
Time Warp
1,141 Posts
<BLOCKQUOTE><font size="1" face="Verdana, Arial">quote:</font><HR>Originally posted by 97 Black SER:
Dude mine redlines at 7100 right now. The JWT ECU gives you a 7800 redline.

<HR></BLOCKQUOTE>

Darn previous gen SE-Rs rubbing it in with their higher redline! j/k

------------------
Jae

'00 SE w/ PP
Dropped and some other stuff...

G

·
My car seems to fall off as I approach redline. I usually shift at like 6K RPM most of the time (well, when I am racing someone. hehe) I'll take it to the limiter in 1st, but there doesn't seem to be much point to reving it out that far.

------------------
2001 SE, P/P, 5 spd Cloud White.
MODS:
- Stromung Stainless Cat-back. (It was here, but now it's gone...but it will be back soon!!)
- Hotshot CAI (In a Fed Ex Truck.)
Click HERE To Visit My Website!

·
B15Sentra.net Hater
0 Posts
I don't mean to sound stupid, but can someone explain to me what an ECU is? I'm pretty clear that it's basically a chip...but does anyone have any good extensive info on how it works....what it does?

------------------
2000 Nissan Sentra SE 5spd Black
1999 Nissan Maxima SE Limited 5spd Black

·
Registered
1,373 Posts
Originally posted by maxximtl:
My car seems to fall off as I approach redline. I usually shift at like 6K RPM most of the time

wait til you get your CAI and header, trust me...
heres some mroe info on the ECU taken from se-r.net

So far in my experience the only ECU worth considering at this point is the JWT unit. Without slamming anyone, to my knowledge most of the other ECUs on the market have some degree of code mistakes in them. JWT is also the only company to my knowledge at this time that can do reliable programming on Post 1995 OBD-II ECU’s. Without revealing specifics, when examining the code in other companies ECUs, mistakes have been found on just about all of the other manufactures chips. In fact, one famous manufacturer did not change one single bit of code in the program! They merely socketed the PCB, and put an E-PROM WITH THE STOCK CODE IN PLACE! They charge 600 bucks for this piece of crap. They advertise in all the major magazines. I won’t name a name but their ads feature an Eclipse burning out with a sunglassed ponytail looking dude driving it.

If you want to buy another brand of ECU, ask these questions.

Can you raise the rev limit?
Can you eliminate the speed limit?
Can you compensate for larger injectors across the entire operating range?
Can you compensate for a different MAF?
Do you use a Horiba A/F monitor?
Do you understand offsets? Do you know what invalid time is?
Can you program a OBD-II box?
If they cannot answer all of these questions then go to JWT and save yourself some aggravation. I am not paid by JWT so I am not biased, but I'm amazed by their technical competence and I am very hard to impress most of the time. They are also the only tuner in this country who has pushed the limit of SR20 (and Nissan in general) development.

JWT’s ECU significantly improves transient throttle response making the car feel much more lively as well as providing more total advance at WOT. The JWT ECU also leans out the A/F ratio at WOT to an optimal 12.6:1 as the SR20 tends to run rich under these conditions. That’s a reason why the fuel pressure riser does not work too well on our cars.

The JWT ECU adds up to 8-10 hp is some parts of the power band and generally adds 3-5 hp on top. The ECU can take up to 0.3 off your quarter mile time. If you follow the same driving pattern with the JWT ECU, it has the potential for better fuel economy, as well. Premium fuel is required and 15 degrees of set timing is recommended.

For the 200SX, the JWT ECU is almost essential as this car is saddled with an annoying 109 mph speed limiter and a crappy 7100 rpm fuel cut. The ECU really adds to the driving pleasure of these cars.

On an esoteric note, under racing conditions the SR20, especially in an NX, can be subject to thermal runaway. This manifests itself when the air temp gets into the 80’s or if you are drafting in a pack (only do this on the track kids!). The temp goes up which triggers detonation which causes the knock sensor to tell the ECU to pull out timing which causes the temp to rise. This goes on in a viscous loop until the engine overheats big time. Unless you immediately drive slow for a few minutes the engine nukes. In the heat of battle you sometimes forget to check your gauges and boom! I myself blew about 3 engines like this back in my racing days.

Anyway, the JWT ECU limits the amount of knock retard and for the most part, stops this problem. If you are planning to do track events this almost makes the JWT ECU a mandatory item. JWT can also custom program the ECU for high compression and turbocharged applications for a reasonable fee. In fact, if you are going to run 11:1 compression, a JWT ECU is essential if you plan to run on pump gas.

------------------
*Josh*
*myb15*

1 - 10 of 10 Posts