B15 Sentra Forum banner

1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
4,543 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Ok I know most of us on here know how to install body kits, my question is molding the kit to the car. I have seen this link:

http://www.lowridereuroweb.com/tech/0305lre_aerogear/

But what about urathane and such? Any how to's or DIY? I am intrested on doing this but what to know how to do it. I have helped do it with fiberglass which was a ******, but is urathane easier, harder, diffrent products ect? How to prevent cracking?

Any real deal installers on here?

·
Registered
185 Posts
i molding in my kit well my side skirts atleast and i use a 3M products called 3M panel bolding its in a tube like cilcone but 2 lil one that mix ito one and it is the **** then just cover it with bondo and putty which is easy because the 3m lays so smooth but don't mold you front and rear bumpers because it will crack no what you do to it because of body roll i also help intall that same kit on my friends cougar that was on that site but his shop use sims prodct which mixes the same as the 3m but it crack before the car ever got painted then it was a bicth to sand off and start over but its your call we also counter sank screws to hold the side skirts in place on my car so we could get a perfect moldi should have pictures up at the end of next week whn my car is painted

·
Registered
4,543 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
so basically you install the kit and counter sinc the screws. Then where the gap areas are you use the 3m panel bolding stuff. After that sets and dries I ASSUME you sand it so it becomes nice and smooth. Then use bondo ontop of that?

What do i use to prep areas on the car that are painted?

I would like to mold everything, I will be using custom brackets so nothing moves and or cracks.

I just need some more clarification on certain things.

·
Registered
185 Posts
correct on my side skirts yea a lil sanding on the 3m but not much it lays smooth as hell

whatever you do work on prime it and block atleast 2 time to make sure all pin holes are fill then wet sand it very good with 400 or 500 grit paper

from all i have send and all i have been told there is nothin you can do to prevent cracking on the bumper lines

i can send you pictures of a professinal car that is leavng tomorrow for nopi national in altanta his weekend that only traves on a trailor that won't even mold them lines

·
Registered
4,543 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
yea i talked to a few friends and i think i am just going to reinstall my kit but make it tighter up against the car and coutersink screws and basically use better 3m tape elsewhere...

Any good 3m tape? Screws to use? How to have them not back out?

Pin holes?? I have urathane not fiberglass.

·
13.05 @ 111mph
194 Posts
Is this a new body kit? Proper product prep is very important. Washing the polyurethane with soap and water at least twice and then baking the kit to release all the off-gases produced by the Poly. Once that is done than proper prep to your bumper(sand off all the paint and primer were joining) My shop used duramix to bond the two poly surfaces. Once that is done then you mold using another product(I can't remember the name, but I think dura mix makes it too..). Then after that make sure you use poper primer, the kind for polyurethane, as well as paint with lots of flex agent. Alow for lots of drying time between steps to avoid bubbling due to product not properly curing. It is quite involved to do it properly. I hope this helps a little. Here is a link to a few pics of my car and pics of the install of front lip

http://f2.pg.photos.yahoo.com/ph/cmybaby2003/rlst?.dir=/&.src=ph&.done=http://f2.pg.photos.yahoo.com/ph/cmybaby2003/lst?&.dir=/3716&.src=ph&.view=t
Yahoo! Photos - View All Albums

·
13.05 @ 111mph
194 Posts
Oh yeah I forgot, don't mold it to the bumper if you use 3M 2 sided tape to attach the kit. It will not work(the tape flexes to much, it may fail..)

·
Registered
4,543 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
i think i am not going to mold the kit but rather attach it better since the 3m tape is comming off. I think or what i am going to use is to basically glue it together in essence, or well bond them.

Duramix, where can you get it?

·
Registered
4,543 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
Ok thanks, which would u suggest:

Duramix™ Repair Materials
Designed to match the hardness or flexibility of the plastic material to be repaired. Based upon unique technology, Duramix™ repair materials are fast setting to minimize the wait for sanding and finishing on all automotive flexible, TPO or semi-rigid plastics.

Duramix™ Seam Sealers
Duramix ™ urethane seam sealers have optimized working times for most applications, and then set fast and bond (within 20 minutes). The flexible Duramix™ seam sealers prevent shrinking or cracking. After cure, the flexible bond has considerable strength, resists failure due to vibration and withstands extreme weather. The products contain no solvents or VOC's.

The reason the 2nd one is due to NJ harsh winter and hot summers.

Also I will use rivots as well or u suggest screws? I hear rivots arent that easy to use

1 - 10 of 10 Posts